Spyder Garage

Default Ft Gordon / Augusta

I'll be at Ft Gordon from June through November for training and I'm bringing my Spyder. I already wear all the PPE and have an MSF card, so I'm good to go there. Is there anything I need to know about Ft Gordon or the surrounding area? Can someone tell me the best place for Spyder service?

Thanks,
    Joe

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Visited a dealer in Augusta a few times while visiting relatives and found them very willing to answer questions and very willing to help in any way. The name is Tomberlin Outdoor and they are located at 3125 Washington Road in Augusta, 706-860-1872. Hope this is some help and thanks for your service to our country.

Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I live in Augusta

went to that so-called dealer for the updates. it sat there for two weeks. They didn't even touch it, except for the scratches.
    With the recomendation of a fellow rider, who bought his from the so-called dealer, I took it to Columbia Power Sports in Columbia, SC. They are a great bunch of folks! I recently took it back during Christmas vacation for a check engine light. They found that the o2 sensor was the problem. It's now fixed.

There was no excuse for the way that I was treated at Tomberlin. I will never step in that place again.

I also saw that your location was Columbus. I grew up in Piqua, OH.
    Last edited by GA-SPYDER; 01-18-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan

Spyder Garage

I am about an hour and 15 minutes away from Ft. Gordon, so when you get here look me up and we will gladly meet you somewhere to ryde as well.

I would also not set foot into Tomberlin for anything. I bought mine in Hilton Head, but the dealership ended up shutting down. I checked out Polaris of Statesboro last weekend, and they seem to be a decent shop and have a certified mechanic on site. I am also planning on checking out the place in Columbia, and there is another one in Summerville, SC, as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Now that the weather is getting warmer and my "vacation" to Georgia is getting closer, I'm looking at the map to see what weekend get-aways are do-able. I'm allowed to go up to 250 miles from Augusta without any formal paperwork, but not sure if that's road miles or "as the crow flies."

I see that the straight-line distance from Ft. Gordon to Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort is about 175 miles. The problem is there doesn't seem to be a good way of getting there. The favored route on the mapping web sites want me to take I-20 east to Columbia, I-26 north to Asheville, and then west to Deal's Gap for a total distance of 320 miles.

I see an alternate route that involves GA-17 to US-23 that's 230 miles long (and still gives me enough wiggle room to do all 11 miles of the Dragon). Is that a viable route?

Thanks,
    Joe

Certified Huligan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    Now that the weather is getting warmer and my "vacation" to Georgia is getting closer, I'm looking at the map to see what weekend get-aways are do-able. I'm allowed to go up to 250 miles from Augusta without any formal paperwork, but not sure if that's road miles or "as the crow flies."

I see that the straight-line distance from Ft. Gordon to Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort is about 175 miles. The problem is there doesn't seem to be a good way of getting there. The favored route on the mapping web sites want me to take I-20 east to Columbia, I-26 north to Asheville, and then west to Deal's Gap for a total distance of 320 miles.

I see an alternate route that involves GA-17 to US-23 that's 230 miles long (and still gives me enough wiggle room to do all 11 miles of the Dragon). Is that a viable route?

Thanks,
    Joe
    I remember those restrictions well from when I was a young Marine. They don't want you to get so far away that you can't make it back when they need, or want, you. The way we used to judge it was you did not want to do anything crazy where you might get hurt if you were on the mileage bubble.

Anyway, you may want to send a PM to GA Spyder as he goes up there quite often and should be able to give you the best route and details.

Hopefully it will work out for a normal weekend, but you also get to travel farther if you have a 3 day weekend so that may be the ticket you are looking for. That would also give you much more time to ryde the other great roads that are in that area.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I live in Grovetown, Ga. and just aquired my First Spyder RTS in Black, coming off a v-rod and concours, is taken some getting use to it, I am medically retired Navy Diver originally from Canton Ohio, pm me and will give phone number and hook up, do the hooters bike nite on Tuesday and Wild Wing's right after, see ya, Johnny-B. p.s. ride with an active duty Major right now and we both ride MX Bikes also.

Spyder Garage

welcome

My course load is heavy for the next few weeks, so I don't get out in the evenings. Saturday seems to be my only free day.

Certified Huligan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thinking about going to Columbia, S.C. on saturday to can am dealership, cycle gear and flea market in lexington.

Spyder Garage

welcome

I was hoping to make the bike night at Sno Cap, but it just wasn't in the cards. Did they have a good turnout?

Did you buy your RT from Tomberlin and pick it up on Saturday? I was in there just before they opened in the morning, and they were prepping a black RT. Went back later that afternoon, and it was no longer in the showroom.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I didn't make sno-caps either, afraid of rain I guess, yes that was me, they took a good hit on it due to demo status and my trades were not worth near what I owed, will meet up sometime and talk about it in detail, see ya, J.B.

Spyder Garage

I'm writing about my service at Tomberlin here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15260

Jump to page 2, post 57, for the Georgia part of the saga.

Certified Huligan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    I'm writing about my service at Tomberlin here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15260

Jump to page 2, post 57, for the Georgia part of the saga.
    Going to check out that thread now, but based on your use of the word saga I have a feeling it is not going to be very good news.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!