Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

I have asked the ATF what I need to do to get permission to carry a sawed-off shotgun in my saddle bag or strapped to my back. Waiting to hear back
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    I have asked the ATF what I need to do to get permission to carry a sawed-off shotgun in my saddle bag or strapped to my back. Waiting to hear back
    If they are from a gunsmith, they can be registered as pistols, the Taurus Judge is a .410 revolver, much easier to carry, more shots, probably cheaper. My 2 sawed offs cost me over 350 apiece, 40 years ago.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    If they are from a gunsmith, they can be registered as pistols, the Taurus Judge is a .410 revolver, much easier to carry, more shots, probably cheaper. My 2 sawed offs cost me over 350 apiece, 40 years ago.

john
    Thanks but I can get a Remington 12 gauge for $300 as opposed to $485 for a .410 (even though it is also a .45) and I can make it into an SBR. However, if I want a .410, I'd go with the Snake Charmer II and trim the stock and barrel (if I could find one...there's one for auction with current bid at $76))
    Last edited by irish2themax; 08-07-2010 at 12:58 AM.
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post

john
    According to the ATF in order for it to be considered a pistol the bbl must be rifled, not a smooth bore. I have a old 16ga single bbl, that the stock was severly damaged on. so I cut it down. The ATF specs is 18in or longer bbl, and overall must be 28in or more. Mine has a 18.5in bbl and is 28.75 oveall. Mossberg makes a 12ga. pump with the same lengths as mine, in there Just In Case line. Remington makes a model 870 pump that has a 18in bbl., but has a regular stock. I know I have seem a pump with 18in bbl and a collasible stock, but don't recall who made them. You could buy a cheap used shotgunm and cut it down yourself and as long as it is in the ATF specs it will be legal.

To carry, I personally carry the Glock 26, I also have a 27 but prefer the 26 because with this light weight pistol and such a short grip, recoil affects your aim, I have clip extensions on one clip of each, gives me somewher to put my pinky as you can only get 2 fingers on the grip, I'd much druther have the stopping power of the 40cal in the 27, but the less recoil of the 9mm in the 26 makes it easier to hit what your shoting at, especially if your like me, getting old and your hands aren't as strong as they used to be. It doesn't matter what gun you use, if you can't hit what your aiming at.
    In the house for personal defense I keep a Taurus Judge in my nightstand, with the first 2 chambers loaded with 410ga #4 shot and the other 3 with 45 Long Colt. Inside a house you are seldom going to need to shoot over 25 ft. And this revolver is ideal for that, besides you will only mess up one wall instead of going all the way throught the house, don't ask me how I know. I also keep a Glock 23 in the nightstand, the 40 cal in this heavier and longer gripped gun make it ideal. If I have time and can get to the gunsafe in the closet, I have all kinds of surprises for the perk.
    Last edited by jwfranklin; 08-07-2010 at 06:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mdr View Post
    ...Bad guys who have nothing to lose/are high can keep attacking even after being shot. I once snapped an assailants arm--heard it break--and he didn't even pause. Plan B for me is intensive self-defense training (very different from martial arts), which can be tailored to specific populations like persons with disabilities, etc....
    Plan "B" may be to carry a Taser. This is because it targets the electrical side of the nervous system. And muscles work off of electrical impulses sent to them by the brain....interrupt this pathway and that persons body does not work as advertised. Besides, learning new fighting techniques takes both TIME and PRACTICE (not to mention staying in shape) whereas using a taser has no such requirements. Downside of the Taser is its designed to be used on a single person at close range (static-no projectile) unless you get the multiple-shot cartridge model (dynamic-wired projectiles). Again, you will likely need a concealed permit to carry one. I would also carry "Zip Strips" to secure your assailant until the authorities arrive (citizens arrest).

Just my 2-cents.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwfranklin View Post
    According to the ATF in order for it to be considered a pistol the bbl must be rifled, not a smooth bore.
    BE CAREFUL!!!

The ATF has no authority to determine State or Federal Law! They must merely comply with it as any other federal agency.

EVERY State has a definition of what THEY consider a firearm. If you doubt me, try testing those waters and see if the ATF comes to bail you out with the Judge; a Judge who MUST uphold the LAW - not ATF definitions.

IF your State uses the ATF definitions in its LAW, then fine (doubtful).

BE smart and do bit of research or contact a local gun dealer and ask them. They can be a great source of info!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBill View Post
    My carry weapon is in my avatar. STI Guardian 45ACP. Jennifer's is a Bersa 380.

I remeber when STI was advertizing heavy in the gun mags, is it everything you want in a 1911 style gun? I have no dumb it will shoot but for the price do you think it is holds up for a CC gun, me being left handed the mag release would pop the mag out, I know I can switch the sides but it just was something I didn't want to do. The kimber CDP gen 1 was the best 1911 I had and did not shoot as good as other guns for half the price. Don't get me wrong I would love to shoot one of those.

Seeing people are listing what is next to their bed too, I have a H&k p7 psp squeeze cocker with hyro shocks AND my F&N ps90 with a trijicon 1.25-4 (just bought the scope and it is BALLER) a 50 round stick of death in a gun that does not move when you shoot it with a tac light you can see 200 yards at night with should be enought but I also another 50 rd mag just in case I get a big group of zombies coming in.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    Plan "B" may be to carry a Taser. This is because it targets the electrical side of the nervous system. And muscles work off of electrical impulses sent to them by the brain....interrupt this pathway and that persons body does not work as advertised. Besides, learning new fighting techniques takes both TIME and PRACTICE (not to mention staying in shape) whereas using a taser has no such requirements. Downside of the Taser is its designed to be used on a single person at close range (static-no projectile) unless you get the multiple-shot cartridge model (dynamic-wired projectiles). Again, you will likely need a concealed permit to carry one. I would also carry "Zip Strips" to secure your assailant until the authorities arrive (citizens arrest).

Just my 2-cents.

Good point--and a tasers can be effective if you can get to it in time, and it is less lethal than a gun. Not a bad option. I do want to distinguish between fighting and self-defense. You're right that learning to fight--or getting a black belt in a martial art--takes years of training and solid fitness. But if you watch boxing or mma, you will notice that a fight gets stopped when someone gets hit in the groin (even with a cup) or takes a finger in the eye. What stops people from inflicting pain on you is inflicting more pain on them. We teach people--especially women in potential sexual assault situations-- to fight dirty. I've seen people of all shapes and sizes and fitness levels become fairly proficient in self-defense in 9 hours of training. Also--just my 2 cents--if you are attacked and take the person out with your hands or gun/taser, use the nike defense and get away. Getting close enough to secure their hands puts you back in a potentially violent situation. Also, bad guys like to travel in packs--call the police to clean up the mess.

1-up

Default Firearms, not.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Canadians?

Can Canadians even own handguns--- let alone carry them?
    For specialized target practise only.

All firearms must be registered plus many other restrictions. That doesn't stop gangs from having firearms, and numerous shootings in drug wars and related in large cities.

Don't even think about bringing a firearm to Canada. Anywhere.

And as I approach my 65th year have never handled a firearm nor do I even want to. People use firearms to kill things, on two legs and four.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1-up View Post
    People use firearms to kill things, on two legs and four.
    People use firearms to keep from being killed by things, on two legs or four.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    I was wondering how many members that do carry are also a member of the NRA?

AND

How often do you practice?

As for me, I am a member of the NRA and an Instructor who does practice as well. I believe we do have a Constitutional Right to carry for self-defense but we also have an obligation as citizens to ensure we have both the knowledge and to skill to operate said firearms in a safe manner (i.e. no accidental discharging and hit what you're aiming at). I have carried for most of my military career on many a foreign soil while on "official government business". I find it ironic that the same government that trusted me to do so would then question my doing the exact same thing in my own country. Be Smart and Be Safe!

NRA member and I practically live at the range. Practice is 3-4 times per week, for at least 2 hours each session

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    ...I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6...

Think I'll protect myself and those close to me, and worry about lawsuits later.....
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Its just a LITTLE hard to conceal, but people give me lots of room on the highway

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    People use firearms to keep from being killed by things, on two legs or four.

Spyder Garage

I carry the Bersa Ultral compact 9 mm in the inside pocket of a leather vest I bought at my gun shop. The inside pockets are big enough for a full size 1911 and cannot be seen from the outside.

I've been checking out a conceal carry called "The Judge" with the 2" barrel. Its made by Taurus and is 410/45 cal long colt. I'd load it with the 410 ga and not bother with the .45 cal Long Colt.

Why do I carry? I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I've also had the Kel-Tec 380 and the conceal carry Bersa 380, both slipped nicely into my pants pocker.

The Bersa conceal carry 380, looks like the Walther PPK, without the bigger price tag. I've fired both and found the Bersa to be just as accurate. I spend a lot of time at the range and yes! I'm a member of the NRA. I saw a post about that above on this thread.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Doc and I had this discussion in Magog. This is our protection for Canada.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Doc and I had this discussion in Magog. This is our protection for Canada.

Betty Crocker & Martha Stewart eat your hearts out!