Spyder Garage

Default Cruise-Mate for Can-Am Spyder!?

I'm looking forward to the Smokies in September but, I feel a need for a Throttle lock. I have been researching on my own, but, were better than here to get the expert opinion on long distance cruising.
    I found, (all thou not lost), a less expensive throttle lock. Could I please get some of our experts to give an opinion on the Cruise-Mate for Spyders.
    Here is the link; http://www.cruise-mate.com/Products_Spyder.htm.
    Throttlemeister is 3 times as expensive, http://www.throttlemeister.com/applications.html.

Going with a car style cruise is too expensive, (for me). http://www.mccruise.com/

A Cramp Buster doesn't cut it, (for me). http://www.crampbuster.com/

Finally to put things in prospective I have large hands and need the entire grip for my hands, not wanting to really use, anything like this http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Moto.../dp/B0014FVGIU
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

Just buy the throttle lock for any 7/8 bar - such as Suzuki. Price $12 to $20, depending on where you buy it. It will take less than 5 minutes to install.

Add a cramp buster or similar Kury add on, and you'll be good for all day.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeap, did the same thing. Went to a local shop, but a throttle lock for 7/8 bars, used some zip ties to hold it where I wanted and I had my cruise control. It may not adjust all by itself but it is not like I have my hand in my pocket, it can be maintained just by little puch of a finger on the throttle. Great for giving the right hand a break.

Very Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

We rode 6200 miles cross-country last year and had a throttlemeister and a crampbuster and never really used (or needed) the throttlemeister at all.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

The Cruise-mate looks like it will work as good as any of the other cheap throttle locks. I bought my throttle lock (Vista Cruise) for about $15 from my dealer and it really doesn't take up any handgrip space. Being they don't make a model specifically for a Spyder, the installation instructions I used are here.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...7&postcount=51
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

I know the Throttlemeister is more expensive but with all of the long distance riding I have done, it has been a lifesaver. I am so glad I have it. I have the heavy ones so it actually extends the size of my handgrip and helps slightly with vibration. I don't regret for a minute spending the money on it. I have not tried the VistaCruise or ThrottleMate and I may like those as well but it is way too late and I won't be switching now.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

I also recommend the Throttlemeister.
    Ease of installation and it reduces handlebar vibration.
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Spyder Garage

Ah, ha! You have not forgotten about me!

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    The Cruise-mate looks like it will work as good as any of the other cheap throttle locks. I bought my throttle lock (Vista Cruise) for about $15 from my dealer and it really doesn't take up any handgrip space. Being they don't make a model specifically for a Spyder, the installation instructions I used are here.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...7&postcount=51
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    We miss you not having a Spyder and telling us about all your great mods! I have the same throttle lock installed per your instructions. Great mod!

Spyder Garage

ataDude your never out of our minds. I'm going to go with the throttle lock you suggested, for 7/8" bars and a Cramp buster. Did you have more pics than the one of the completed install? Just curious. Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions. Off to the store. Oh, before I go, did anyone install handle bar weights? What would you suggest? Bye

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    We miss you not having a Spyder and telling us about all your great mods! I have the same throttle lock installed per your instructions. Great mod!
    Thanks, Randy!

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post
    ataDude your never out of our minds. I'm going to go with the throttle lock you suggested, for 7/8" bars and a Cramp buster. Did you have more pics than the one of the completed install? Just curious. Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions. Off to the store. Oh, before I go, did anyone install handle bar weights? What would you suggest? Bye
    Thanks, Venom... but that's the only pic I have... and of course, I can't take more. How about one on a Triumph Thunderbird?
    http://www.thunderbird1600.com/csp/t...Green&InPage=1

Last edited by ataDude; 07-12-2010 at 02:21 PM.

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I think of you every time I look over the top of your, I mean, MY CHAD!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Venom... but that's the only pic I have... and of course, I can't take more. How about one on a Triumph Thunderbird?

Pretty bike! Yours? My first bike was a Triumph 650 Chopped. Loved it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I think of you every time I look over the top of your, I mean, MY CHAD!
    Glad you're enjoying it, Mr. Some.

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post

Pretty bike! Yours? My first bike was a Triumph 650 Chopped. Loved it.
    Yepper... it's what I got in trade for the Spyder...

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post

+1
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Smile

I just completed a 1500 mile trip with a crampbuster and throttlemeister crampbuster worked just fine but i felt it5 got in the way sometimes the other one worked also but if you hit a bump the throttle would speedup or slow down i may consider getting the mc cruise.

Roger

Spyder Garage

I installed the cruise mate this weekend.
    It's certainly not a cruise control per say but it works great when you want to rest your right arm a bit.
    Make sure you have a 21/64 drill bit and a 3/8-24 tap available. The instructions don't clearly call that out so when I started the project I realized that I needed to run to the local hardware store.
    Other than the "not so great" instructions the unit works great. Plus its very inconspicuous under the throttle.
    Good luck!!

Spyder Garage

For those considering a throttle lock, know it's not a cruise control. When you go uphill, you slow down. When you go downhill, you speed up. If you don't like this, you'll be constantly futzing with it.

Although I have a Throttlemeister, I rarely use it.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    For those considering a throttle lock, know it's not a cruise control. When you go uphill, you slow down. When you go downhill, you speed up. If you don't like this, you'll be constantly futzing with it.

Although I have a Throttlemeister, I rarely use it.

But Deb made a good point - if your hands are that big, the Throttlemeister will give you some extra length.

While I have hardly used it, it works great and does dampen vibration - plus it looks so good, you don't notice it.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Both Nancy and I use our Throttlemeisters continually. Even with your hand controlling the throttle, they relieve the continual, tiring throttle tension. Like our vintage bikes, they require turning off the throttle as well as twisting it on. On the road, they are a blessing, as are all throttle friction devices. Yes, they require continual adjustment, but you get quite used to the tiny tweaks. Riding without one requires constant adjustments, too. I have cruise on my RTS, but sometimes I miss my Throttlemeister on that one, too. BTW, the BRP cruise speed varies on hills, too. It just makes its own adjustments.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have had the Throttlemiester on my bike since 2008 when I bought my bike. I guess it does the job but I do not like how you have to manipulate your hand to turn it on and off. It does help with vibration. A flick of a switch would be much easier. Spyder Quinn and I are looking at the Cruise-Mate system. I like the fact that it is out of the way on the bottom. It seems to work well and has some great reviews. You can still throttle on and off while it is locked. I will let you know how it works when I put it on and use it. Oh yeah and it is only $50.00.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Venym View Post
    I have had the Throttlemiester on my bike since 2008 when I bought my bike. I guess it does the job but I do not like how you have to manipulate your hand to turn it on and off. It does help with vibration. A flick of a switch would be much easier. Spyder Quinn and I are looking at the Cruise-Mate system. I like the fact that it is out of the way on the bottom. It seems to work well and has some great reviews. You can still throttle on and off while it is locked. I will let you know how it works when I put it on and use it. Oh yeah and it is only $50.00.
    You can still roll the throttle on and off with a Throttlemeister, if it is adjusted correctly. Nancy and I never turn ours off.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I installed cruise mate over the winter and tried it out last weekend. I like it alot you can adjust it for how much pressure to put on the throttle. The install is easy after you figure out the directions on where to drill and keep the drilling straight.

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Default Throttlemeister works well for me.

Hello 1Venom,
    Another spyder ryder was asking about solving the problem of vibration on their spyder. I told them I liked the cruise control of the Throttlemeister and it was also a good damper to the vibration in the handlebars. I posted two pics of my throttlemeisters on my spyder. Here's the pics
    You still get to keep your full grip. I like the throttlemeister very much. For me, it works best for taking my hand off the throttle for a minute or two to give my hand a rest.
    Last edited by COOLMACHINE; 03-16-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Pretty snazzy looking piece and not very expensive either. But I should install my vista cruise first befor thinking bout this one.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS