Thread: blown fuses

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Red face blown fuses

Hey every body. I have a moon silver rt w/ a/c and just had my recall repairs and all the sudden i keep blowing the fuse for the heated grips/horn and electric trunk release.(they are all on the 20 amp fuse in the front trunk.)Has any one else have or had this problem. I tried to put a 25 amp fuse and it still blew. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

welcome
    Sorry to hear that your RT is having electrical problems.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

I don't have an RT, but it sounds like you may have a pinched wire, going to ground. Don't replace a 20 amp fuse with a 25 amp fuse. The fuse is doing what its suppose to do. Protect the wiring from over load. You need to find the short.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    I don't have an RT, but it sounds like you may have a pinched wire, going to ground. Don't replace a 20 amp fuse with a 25 amp fuse. The fuse is doing what its suppose to do. Protect the wiring from over load. You need to find the short.
    Only way to track this down is to trace out the offending wire or component. No easy solution, unless something is obviously damaged. It requires a wiring diagram, a multimeter, then discoinnecting each component, testing each one, the plugging them back in one at a time. Oh....it also may take a boatload of fuses. Best solution is to return it to the dealer for warranty service. Sorry!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Only way to track this down is to trace out the offending wire or component. No easy solution, unless something is obviously damaged. It requires a wiring diagram, a multimeter, then discoinnecting each component, testing each one, the plugging them back in one at a time. Oh....it also may take a boatload of fuses. Best solution is to return it to the dealer for warranty service. Sorry!

Thanks for the help ...I will send it back to the shop after motorcycle safety course is over They just put on the custom dynamic rear break bar. Maybe they missed a wire somewhere

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtruver View Post
    Thanks for the help ...I will send it back to the shop after motorcycle safety course is over They just put on the custom dynamic rear break bar. Maybe they missed a wire somewhere
    Or tied into the wrong one...like the heated passenger grips.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Simple thing to do is disconnect the lightbar and see if you still blow fuses.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Simple thing to do is disconnect the lightbar and see if you still blow fuses.
    Thanks Lamonster, I am going to take the back trunk apart tonight and see if I still blow #8 after I disconnect the new brake light. I have the diagram now so I am also going to try adding the dual converter so it will be a running light as well. Wish me luck.....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Latest update on on F8 Fuse

Thanks Lamonster, I am going to take the back trunk apart tonight and see if I still blow #8 after I disconnect the new brake light. I have the diagram now so I am also going to try adding the dual converter so it will be a running light as well. Wish me luck.....
    I was wondering did you find out the source of your F8 fuse blowing? If my 2010 Spyder is sitting idling, everything work fine. When I select the the gear after like 3 sec the fuse blows. I cannot figure it out, it was in the shop for three weeks at a local Can Am dealer here and they couldn't figure it out. Can anybody give some input?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oaktree454 View Post
    I was wondering did you find out the source of your F8 fuse blowing? If my 2010 Spyder is sitting idling, everything work fine. When I select the the gear after like 3 sec the fuse blows. I cannot figure it out, it was in the shop for three weeks at a local Can Am dealer here and they couldn't figure it out. Can anybody give some input?
    This particular post is from 2010.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    This particular post is from 2010.
    Yea, just wondering what he found if anything.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Does your RT have the on board Air Compressor for the Air suspension? if so it shares the same fuse as the horn and heated gripes. When the compressor fails it will take this fuse out after putting the spyder in gear. The spyder has to be in gear for the compressor to run.

There is a post on replacing the compressor with an aftermarket compressor. About $90.00 vers $400.00+ for a can am replacement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oaktree454 View Post
    Yea, just wondering what he found if anything.
    The last time he had any activity on the forum was in 2011.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Blown fuses

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    Does your RT have the on board Air Compressor for the Air suspension? if so it shares the same fuse as the horn and heated gripes. When the compressor fails it will take this fuse out after putting the spyder in gear. The spyder has to be in gear for the compressor to run.

There is a post on replacing the compressor with an aftermarket compressor. About $90.00 vers $400.00+ for a can am replacement.

Ok, I have not looked at that. Just wondering would the compressor take out the fuse if it's not being pressed or does it stay on all the time?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Fixed the problem!

Thanks Frank G for your post. It was my compressor! I couldn't find the after market though and had to pay the $400😳. But I am glad the problem is found and fixed.