Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Pretty sure I am selling my Phantom

Well i have about convinced myslef that I am gonna sell my Spyder heres a list of reasons why. I want to say that the machine has never failed me and is runnign well. I put 6700 miles on it in less than a year and enjoyed it immensely but I live in fear of the thing as I dont need teh potential complications I see coming. here are my reasons..
    - Honestly I am looking ot pay off my wife and I’s student loans and that’s a big part of it.
    - No dealership here and a low number of qaulified decent dealerships out there. One thing I can defintely say about harley is that if I have a problem with it I know it will get fixed most likely the first time by a qualified tech that works on nothing but harleys all day and theyt are 10 miles from here.
    - Expensive to maintain. Compared tos some other bikes its less expensive compred to a harley quite expensive and it has to be connected to a computer all the time etc.
    - Fear..I am pretty sure it’s a matter of time till this thing has a serious issue that I am not willingly to wait 2-6 months to have properly repaired. My life is complicated enough and so I am concerned over the future issues I may have with this bike.
    - Gas mileage sucks (not a huge deal but part of my issue with it)
    - I would buy again I think down the road cause I do love driving the thing and it is a very impressive machine. I hope they work out the kinks and make it more reliable. I do like the three wheel concept and so did my wife. I think my next purchase may be an MP3 Piaggio for the wife although it may be a few years off and provided it doesnst have the same issues I have with the Spyder.
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear but all good reasons.
    I have to admit that owning this out of warranty would really have me nervous. Having it in warranty hasn't been bad, except for losing 4months + (and counting) of ryding so far this year
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

That is why we broke down and got the BEST warranty. I would not own my Spyder w/out it. My goal is to pat it off and keep it AND get two wheels again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jabba11 View Post
    Well i have about convinced myslef that I am gonna sell my Spyder heres a list of reasons why. I want to say that the machine has never failed me and is runnign well. I put 6700 miles on it in less than a year and enjoyed it immensely but I live in fear of the thing as I dont need teh potential complications I see coming. here are my reasons..
    - Honestly I am looking ot pay off my wife and I’s student loans and that’s a big part of it.
    - No dealership here and a low number of qaulified decent dealerships out there. One thing I can defintely say about harley is that if I have a problem with it I know it will get fixed most likely the first time by a qualified tech that works on nothing but harleys all day and theyt are 10 miles from here.
    - Expensive to maintain. Compared tos some other bikes its less expensive compred to a harley quite expensive and it has to be connected to a computer all the time etc.
    - Fear..I am pretty sure it’s a matter of time till this thing has a serious issue that I am not willingly to wait 2-6 months to have properly repaired. My life is complicated enough and so I am concerned over the future issues I may have with this bike.
    - Gas mileage sucks (not a huge deal but part of my issue with it)
    - I would buy again I think down the road cause I do love driving the thing and it is a very impressive machine. I hope they work out the kinks and make it more reliable. I do like the three wheel concept and so did my wife. I think my next purchase may be an MP3 Piaggio for the wife although it may be a few years off and provided it doesnst have the same issues I have with the Spyder.
    Sorry you have lost confidence in your . I think it is the cats meow !

I traded a Piaggo MP3 500 in on my . Man what a blast,out lean most motercycles and fast,great bike only negitive I have was it was to light on the highway and the transports would blow you around pretty good.
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If we get a n MP3 it will be used mostly for city and commuting to and from work. I don't see us touring on it but it seems capable of that if you wanted. I will have to research it further and make sure about its reliablility delaership network etc. I know there is a dealer about 50 miles away from me here which is 50 miles closerthan the nearest sypder dealer. You are right I have lost my confidence in my machine some and worry about it even though it has really not given me any huge reason too. It hasnt been an easy decision and until it is sold Ill keep right on riding it.

Spyder Garage

I never know how to take these "I'm getting out" posts.

Does the poster hope we will talk them out of it? Or do they hope we will agree that it's time to bail?

Though I feel the lack of confidence is unjustified, I can understand that some have had bad experiences. Some machine caused, some dealership caused.

I've ridden my 2008 SM5 (supposedly the least reliable of all production models) from East Tennesse to California and back, Valcourt Canada, Daytona Beach Florida, Cowtown MO, Kansas City KS (850 miles one way - by myself - twice). I know this is no record and I do not even consider it anything special. This is exactly my point. I have found the Spyder to be as reliable as anything I've ever ridden.

Whatever you decide to ride, if you find a forum as informative and brutally honest as this one, you're going to develop the same confidence issues as you did with the Spyder. Why? Because everything has issues and owners with bad machine and dealer experiences.

If the problems that others encounter are going to give you the willies about your ride you're better off just buying something, riding it and never looking any further. "Ignorance is bliss" really does work for some. Though I've never found "What you don't know won't hurt you" to be true.

I certainly wish you the best with whatever you decide to ride.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-09-2010 at 10:39 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm not looking for either just thought Id post the "whys" of me selling. Also dont read too much into it. I have enjoyed my time riding the spyder and may buy again some day. i bought in as a major means of transport to and from work mostly and it has served me well in that regard. it may NEVER need to see a mechanic it may burn to the ground tommorrow one never knows and a few things in my life have changed my priorities right now and the uncertainty of the bike is wearing on me. I may be back again when the timing is right and I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed my time on the Spyder and would still reccommend it to someone who was willing to cope with the "needs" of the machine so to speak.

Spyder Garage

The longer mine is in the shop the more MP3 video,s and researching I do!!
    I love the Spyder but if it turns into a long wait they can give me my $$ back and I,ll buy a MP3 Outright.
    If they fix it I still may sell my newer Jet Ski and have the Spyder, MP3 250 and 1 Jet Ski! Such Decisions?
    The MP3 seems perfect for afternoon rides on twisty country roads which is mostly what I do.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!