Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Another Connecticut Ryder !

My wife and I are picking up our new RT-S on Friday ! Can't wait to take her for a spin (the RT that is) I still have a two wheeler so the transition from one to the other and back all the time should be real interesting. I'm also looking forward to being an active part of Spyderlovers.com

Spyder Garage

welcome on your new purchase

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

welcome
    Randy
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    GULF COAST SPYDERRYDERS

Spyder Garage

welcome
    Check the tire pressure before you ride. Check the oil level the 1st day also!! Enjoy the ride~!!!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

welcome I switch hit all the time, and I have not had a problem...beyond occasionally grabbing a handful of air where my front brake handle should be. My best advice is to switch often. It helps not to get too rusty. My other piece of advice is to take time, whenever you switch, to dodge a few manhole covers, and make a few quick stops before you hit the road in earnest. You don't have time to think about what to do when a problem arises.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

welcomewelcome
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)

Spyder Garage

welcome
    SPYDRRR

Spyder Garage

Congrats and WELCOME!
    SPYDEB

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    welcome I switch hit all the time, and I have not had a problem...beyond occasionally grabbing a handful of air where my front brake handle should be. My best advice is to switch often. It helps not to get too rusty. My other piece of advice is to take time, whenever you switch, to dodge a few manhole covers, and make a few quick stops before you hit the road in earnest. You don't have time to think about what to do when a problem arises.
    welcome

Spyder Garage

One thing I forgot to mention. The Owners Guide has an excellent Spyder safety course in it, and you should also receive a DVD with the course and safety tips. If you take some time to set up some soccer cones or half tennis balls in a parking lot somewhere, and run through the drills until you are comfortable, your first road experience will be much better...and your adjustment time will be considerably shorter.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

One thing I forgot to mention. The Owners Guide has an excellent Spyder safety course in it, and you should also receive a DVD with the course and safety tips. If you take some time to set up some soccer cones or half tennis balls in a parking lot somewhere, and run through the drills until you are comfortable, your first road experience will be much better...and your adjustment time will be considerably shorter.
    Scotty is correct, there are 10 pages (pg 61-78 owners manual) each devoted to if you have the automatic
    or the manual transmission. I practiced on the dealers demo that was manual and it was an easier transition
    going to the paddle shift. This bike has no counter steer like a motorcycle, so it might take you longer
    than I to feel comfortable. I had no prior experience. To me the bike is way logical. Foot brake like a car. Enjoy your ryde, and on your new ryde.

I even used this same parking lot to practice backing up the trailer I just got.

please share your experience, and take lots of photos!welcome

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Everyone - thanks for the great reception and the advice. My dealer had no demo models so the ride home tomorrow (about 40 miles) will be my first experience so I'll be getting total immersion therapy rather than easing into it. That's probably the best way anyway. I'll let you know how it works out.

Spyder Garage

welcomeON.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    Everyone - thanks for the great reception and the advice. My dealer had no demo models so the ride home tomorrow (about 40 miles) will be my first experience so I'll be getting total immersion therapy rather than easing into it. That's probably the best way anyway. I'll let you know how it works out.
    That was my experience, also...and it is why I advocate another approach. The first mile I just wanted to get off and leave it beside the road. The next five miles I thought we had made the biggest mistakes of our lives. It took 15 miles before I felt the least bit comfortable...and I was still far too tentantive to react properly in an emergency. Takes a couple of hundred miles before you get comfortable with it...or more. Be sure to remind yourself constantly to relax your grip and not fight it.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have stopped at the first big, empty parking lot I could find, and played around for 15-20 minutes before I hit the road for home. If I had been real smart, I would have downloaded the manual from the SpyderLovers home page or from the BRP Spyder Owners Center, and I would have studied it up front, especially the skills section. I would also have watched the safety videos on YouTube. Then I would have known better what to expect.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

First, welcome to the site from another newbie. If your ride home will be your first ride, then select some nice quiet roads where you won't feel pressured by traffic. The best advice I read was on this forum, which was to keep a light grip on the handlebars and lean with your upper body into turns. By the time you get home you'll be feeling much more comfortable. Scotty's advice, above, is right on.

Our new RT will be in W. Hartford in a few weeks for a short stop with family on our way to VT. Wave at a blue one!
    Dan

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

and welcome. One riding tip, DON'T straddle ripe road kill. Don't ask!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That was my experience, also...and it is why I advocate another approach. The first mile I just wanted to get off and leave it beside the road. The next five miles I thought we had made the biggest mistakes of our lives. It took 15 miles before I felt the least bit comfortable...and I was still far too tentantive to react properly in an emergency. Takes a couple of hundred miles before you get comfortable with it...or more. Be sure to remind yourself constantly to relax your grip and not fight it.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have stopped at the first big, empty parking lot I could find, and played around for 15-20 minutes before I hit the road for home. If I had been real smart, I would have downloaded the manual from the SpyderLovers home page or from the BRP Spyder Owners Center, and I would have studied it up front, especially the skills section. I would also have watched the safety videos on YouTube. Then I would have known better what to expect.
    I actually DID download the manual on Monday and started reading it since it was so Hot here in CT - so looks like I'm intuitively off to the right start (one of the reasons my kids started calling me Mindman). I will be sure to putt-putt around in the dealer lot before getting on the road, and will absolutely look for a nice vacant parking lot on the trip home. I also mapped out and pre-rode a non-highway route home from the dealer so good to go on that score too.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    First, welcome to the site from another newbie. If your ride home will be your first ride, then select some nice quiet roads where you won't feel pressured by traffic. The best advice I read was on this forum, which was to keep a light grip on the handlebars and lean with your upper body into turns. By the time you get home you'll be feeling much more comfortable. Scotty's advice, above, is right on.

Our new RT will be in W. Hartford in a few weeks for a short stop with family on our way to VT. Wave at a blue one!

We bought a blue one too. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Talking

OK! picked it up this afternoon ! 40 mile ride home....took the scenic route and LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT !!!
    I practiced in the dealer lot for a little while, then hit the road. Thanks to all the great advice you gave, and what I learned from other posts, I had very little difficulty adjusting.
    Definitely lean into the turns and DEFINITELY do not OVER STEER the thing! That power steering is SENSITIVE !
    It seems to love running in the 5k rpm range the most.
    Only negative.....and this is a qualified negative...my arse got damn hot !!! I qualify this because the temp gauge read 98 degrees!

I am SOOOO looking forward to miles and miles and hours and hours of touring on this baby, and am PRAYING that I don't have any of the problems that I've read about in the forums.....but if I do, I will persist. Thanks again for all the advice, and for the great welcome !

Spyder Garage

OK! picked it up this afternoon ! 40 mile ride home....took the scenic route and LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT !!!
    I practiced in the dealer lot for a little while, then hit the road. Thanks to all the great advice you gave, and what I learned from other posts, I had very little difficulty adjusting.
    Definitely lean into the turns and DEFINITELY do not OVER STEER the thing! That power steering is SENSITIVE !
    It seems to love running in the 5k rpm range the most.
    Only negative.....and this is a qualified negative...my arse got damn hot !!! I qualify this because the temp gauge read 98 degrees!

I am SOOOO looking forward to miles and miles and hours and hours of touring on this baby, and am PRAYING that I don't have any of the problems that I've read about in the forums.....but if I do, I will persist. Thanks again for all the advice, and for the great welcome !
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Where abouts in CT do you live?

My wife and I are picking up our new RT-S on Friday ! Can't wait to take her for a spin (the RT that is) I still have a two wheeler so the transition from one to the other and back all the time should be real interesting. I'm also looking forward to being an active part of Spyderlovers.com
    HI, I live in Milford CT drop me a line Id like to stay in touch.

Thanks,
    Dave Jackel

email djackel1946@gmail.com