Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default replacing the gas gauge

Hey Guys

Does anyone have pic's of replacing there gas gauge with a oil pressure gauge? How they tied there sending unit into the motor,ran there lines, fittings used? Step by Step maybe?
    I have the bouncing gas gauge now, instead of the dealer just goin to unplug and go with the ditigal. Then replace with oil & volt
    Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Pics

Following is a link to the procedure and pics used to mount an Oil Pressure gauge in place of your fuel gauge.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ight=NorthStar

Important "other" things to consider:

1) You must disconnect both the analog fuel and temperature gauges in order for the digital displays to show on your screen;

2) The existing Oil Pressure Switch on the Spyder RT has a 10mm metric male thread that screws into the block. I highly recommend that you buy a 10mm to 1/8 NPT brass adapter to screw into the block before completing the plumbing for the sending unit and oil pressure switch.

Hope this helps.

M

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Northstar
    I should have done a search!
    Now to order my gauges Found these at this website
    http://www.topnotchperformancemarine...OOF-p1355.html
    Waterproof,bezels in chrome or colors

Thanks again
    Last edited by zztop69; 07-04-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I too have the bouncing gas guage but I just discovered something the other day. When I plug the trailer in and go into trailer mode it stops bouncing completely and is rock solid and seems to read accurately! Figure that one out? Bill

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Is selecting "Trailer" mode the fix?

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    ...When I plug the trailer in and go into trailer mode it stops bouncing completely and is rock solid and seems to read accurately! Figure that one out? Bill
    What is it like NOT plugging in the trailer lights and just selecting "Trailer" mode? Could the "fix" be just that simple?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Going into trailer mode makes shift points higher and I suspect changes the mapping to further improve the torque output of the engine. I will try it tomorrow or Sunday and see what happens. Bill PS Haven't forgotten this it has just been raining hard everyday!
    Last edited by zeebill; 07-20-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK I tried putting the trike into trailer mode without the trailer being there and with a low fuel level the guage is fairly solid and doesn't bounce around a lot. I still need to try it with a fuller tank though so the answer is not complete yet. That won't be until next week as I am busy all weekend and won't have time to mess with it. Again a reminder to all using trailer mode everytime you shut the trike off you have to put it back into trailer mode because it comes out each and everytime. Just another over sight on BuRP's part I guess. Bill