Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sent the RTS packing

I was wondering how many people have sold their RTS due to warranty issues?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

WOW, My RTS has performed perfectly. Zero issues in over 6K miles.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by raptor01 View Post
    Can you be more specific?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by raptor01 View Post
    Not me at 1700 miles. Only warranty issue is the clutch recall which will be addressed Tuesday 7/6. Sorry you had problems.

Registered Users SemperFiSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Pretty Content

Other than the clutch re-call, I have been extremely happy with my RT. By manually down-shifting from 2nd to 1st, I have avoided any stalls. Plan to continue to do so until clutch is fixed.

Spyder Garage

Pretty much the same as above posts. 7,000 plus miles as of yesterday. No issues or problems with the RT-S. Going on a 2,000 plus mile trip next week on the Alcan Highway.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Plenty of warranty issues here, some resolved and some not...plus some new ones. Still riding the RTS, though. It is not for sale. Just like a Brit bike...I will ride it until it quits, or something critical falls off...then I'll put it back together and ride it again. You cannot let a machine get the best of you, in my family.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I traded both the RTS and the RS due to all the down time due to the many issues we were having. We love to ride and you just can't ride when they are in the shop weeks on end on a regular basis.
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Plenty of warranty issues here, some resolved and some not...plus some new ones. Still riding the RTS, though. It is not for sale. Just like a Brit bike...I will ride it until it quits, or something critical falls off...then I'll put it back together and ride it again. You cannot let a machine get the best of you, in my family.
    Way to go Scotty ! What a great attitude.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sold both of mine because of the issues. I don't have Scotty's patience. The era of British bikes is over - or should be.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BHawksworth View Post
    Sold both of mine because of the issues. I don't have Scotty's patience. The era of British bikes is over - or should be.
    Shhhh! Don't let my '65 Bonneville hear that. They sense fear.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear, but I understand. Good luck to you.
    What will you get next?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BHawksworth View Post
    Hey, now... be gentle. My 2010 1600cc Triumph Thunderbird seems to be holding up quite well.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Smile i dont understand ?

if it is a warranty issue why not let the dealer take care of it and keep riding. Why get rid of it unless the dealer can't help then contact carlos what's the problem.

Roger

Spyder Garage

I sat on the Thunderbird a few weeks ago - very impressive! It actually fit me. But I don't have the coin right now. I am looking for another two wheeler down the road but am gonna keep the Spyder so I gotta pay it off first.

Got the BEST warranty on it so we should be okay for a while if anything goes wrong.

I do love ryding it - it's alot of fun. However I haven't ridden it all weekend so far - been enjoying the back of HDX's Harley. It's been quite nice chatting all the way through our riding - well it is for me anyway. So far I don't think HDX is sick of my babbling just yet!

Been real hot and humid too so I'd rather ride w/ him than have that hot air blow on me from the Spyder. Take the heat & humidity the last couple of days, along with hot flashes that women my age get and I'm doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Hey, now... be gentle. My 2010 1600cc Triumph Thunderbird seems to be holding up quite well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    I sat on the Thunderbird a few weeks ago - very impressive! It actually fit me....
    Didn't believe me, huh?

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well, I'll make an exception for the 'new Triumph'. Had a Triumph 955i for a while - great bike.

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

raptor01,

The clutch recall (I actually haven't had too many problems with my clutch) will be the 5th time my RT will be in the shop for warranty work. I haven't decided how long I will keep it but it will be gone before the warranty runs out. After a long conversation with BRP techs (and Carlo) at the owners event in Chicago it looks like they are going to help me out with the problems I have. That being said, it will still be gone before the warranty is. I will probably try out a new 11 to see what they have done to correct the problems and may trade for one. A warranty doesn't do you much good when you are stuck 500 miles from the nearest Spyder dealer. I know you're a long ways from a dealer, mine's about a 175 mile round trip. If you're on the KS/CO border and need warranty work you've got a long tow ahead, either Denver or Wichita? I don't know what advice to give you, we have a lot of money invested and I've been very close to just dumping it. I guess we will wait on the 2011 models and see what happens.

Dwight

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Way to go Scotty ! What a great attitude.

Mine will not be for sale
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

Default Bullet Proof

I'll say it again and again ... any new-concept vehicle will have bugs, and I do empathize with possible (and I stress possible) lemons, esp. '08s ... the actual first year in the US.

Otherwise, my RT has already saved my skin during a deer hit; It drives like a champ on stock parts with recommended adjustments (tire psi; front shock adjustment). Going to mod it a little with Elka Shocks and a Utopia Backrest. No other problems. 2750 miles and I've replaced the mirror the deer stole. First service was at 800 miles (no problems).

When I reel back at those dumping or sending their Spyders packing, I muse that if the Spyder is so "rife" with problems, how anyone could look at a potential customer in the face and tell them, "Great bike .... you'll love it." The truth is, it is a great bike, and when we bought it, the understood risk should have been that we were taking a new vehicle concept and representing the initial customer experience. The purchasing decision cannot and should have never been based on expectations of years-old design concepts of Tri-Glide and Goldwings. Yet, let's reflect on older Harley owners who suffered through the years of engines being manufactured by AMF. Maintenance hogs ... things would break ... down time; it gave rise to the tsunami of metric cruisers through the 90s. But loyal Harley people stuck with their bikes and supported their community.

I think we need to do the same, and have patience, work with BRP; tell them the brutal truth on a few real issues; yet understand that some problems are just ones-ey two-seys. I think we need to hang on to these new machines, work them through improvement; cultivate the aftermarket providers and support the Spyder community.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    I sat on the Thunderbird a few weeks ago - very impressive! It actually fit me. But I don't have the coin right now. I am looking for another two wheeler down the road but am gonna keep the Spyder so I gotta pay it off first.

Got the BEST warranty on it so we should be okay for a while if anything goes wrong.

I do love ryding it - it's alot of fun. However I haven't ridden it all weekend so far - been enjoying the back of HDX's Harley. It's been quite nice chatting all the way through our riding - well it is for me anyway. So far I don't think HDX is sick of my babbling just yet!

Been real hot and humid too so I'd rather ride w/ him than have that hot air blow on me from the Spyder. Take the heat & humidity the last couple of days, along with hot flashes that women my age get and I'm doomed.

Just wondering did you check out the Triumph Speedmaster/America?
    I'm about to pull the trigger on one while my Spyder is in the shop.[ecm]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

new to Spyder Lovers, but just tuened 3000 on my RTS and have had 0 prblems. Wife and i just returned from a 700 mile trip to the Smokies AWESOME!

Spyder Garage

I'm in the car business and am involved with pretty much every franchise under the sun (new car). It always amazed me how our Customers that owned Jaguars and Porsches kept buying new ones after owning them. When compared to lets say , our Honda Customers, The Jags and Porsches were nightmares. The were very very expensive and needed 4 to 5 times the warranty work (and huge maintenance bills) that the Hondas needed. We knew the Tow companies by first name basis , not to mention they cost 3-5 times more than the Honda. But alas the customers put up with those issues and continued to buy them.
    That is now me on the Spyder I think. While my current 2 RTS's have had zero problems, I assume there will be some that pop up. I am willing to put up with them for the most part because I love everything about the Spyder. Its not just another motorcycle , its not a plain jane run of the mill vehicle. It has a soul. That being said I wish there were zero problems in a ground breaking product like this, but it is what it is.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IndianBikerDan View Post
    new to Spyder Lovers, but just tuened 3000 on my RTS and have had 0 prblems. Wife and i just returned from a 700 mile trip to the Smokies AWESOME!
    welcome
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!