Thread: BOT FLY

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BOT FLY

well yesterday morning i noticed a knot on my puppy"s belly, well i put some peroxide and neosporin on it thinking it would be okay. well late last night i started to brushing my sheep dog and my wife brought me valle my pup and tod me to look she had just noticed it well i saw a little hole like the size of the tip of the ball point pen. well i decided to start massaging it and as i did it started to drain and i saw something sorta ease out as would put more pressure around the knot. now this thing looked like a staff bump that someone would get and was freaking huge. well anyway i hollered at my wife and told her to get a paper towel and come hurry. well it took about five minutes to time it just right and finally she grabbed it as i squeezed the crap out of it and she pulled it popped out. well it looked like a maggot or something well we wrapped it in the towel and went to the internet and started looking and sure enough it was the BOT FLY larva. it said it takes up to 20 days to get to the point where it was but i cant imagine having one inside of me it had to hurt like hell. anyway i didn't think they were in north america but they are in north carolina. it said if you live where they are lots of rabbits or rats you are likely to have them. anyway if you see a bit or a knot come up and it has a hole in the center it may be the breathe hole for a BOT FLY larva so try to smother it with vaseline or other salve that will make it poke its little wormy head out so you can grab it good luk

Spyder Garage

Never had heard of them being a problem to dogs. The can raise havoc in the stomach of a horse.

Good thing you got it out of there!!! I'd treat it like a puncture and keep the pocket flushed out.
    Marilyn

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Don't know if this is the same thing or not. but it sounds like the same thing. We used to get something in the hide of our cattle that daddy called wolves. You press on them and get them to come out, and looked like a larve. We killed a steer for beef one year that had several we hadn't discovered while it was alive. They were in the hide, but hadn't penatered the skin. I know daddy felt bad for the steer that he hadn't discovered them earlier. A few years later, every squirrel I shot was eat-up with them.

Spyder Garage

I owned and raised horses for many years and have seen this problem on occasion with them, but never had any of my dogs get into a problem with them. Did your dog have occasion to be around any horses or their manure? If you saved what came out, it would be a good idea to have your vet check it out. Do keep checking the dog.
    Good luck.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

They give me the creeps.lol