Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ever do something really (I mean REALLY) stupid?

I did today. I was going to burn some branches from a tree I cut today and the fire flashed up at me while starting it and I got 2nd degree burns from my wrist to my bicep on my right arm. Now I have to take some time off of work and in using the vacation time, I may not have enough vacation left to go to Gatlinburg this fall. The arm stings and I singed the hair on my right leg and the right side of my face but I'm okay otherwise. Now I just need to take care of the bad burn so I don't get an infection.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Very glad to read that your OK. It sounds like it could have been much worse.

A few years ago... Yeah I was this guy..... We had a five gallon bucket of water up against our home that was infested with mosquito larva.

The correct way to deal with this? Dump the water out of course!

But noooooooooooo... I had the weed eater gas in my hand and thought to myself... "I will burn these buggers out like I do with the kerosene for the ant's!!"...

Thinking of my safety, I place what I thought to be a very small amount of fuel in the bucket... dropped a match in the bucket and BOOM.... all my hair facing the bucket.. Gone!!!... 4' flames burning the bush next to the house... I reacted like any normal person would... I reached with my bare hands to knock over the bucket.. Yep.. Burned.. Oh and did I mention I spread the fire across the driveway?

Mind you I am a "Cough" retired fire fighter to boot!.... Ran into the house... Grabbed the Arm and Hammer... fixed the issue...

BTW.... Did I mention that my wife was laughing hysterically the entire time? She knew getting in the way was a bad idea... If you ask her about it today she starts that darn laughing all over again and it is hard to understand her... So this forces me to explain what happened... Only to"Fuel" the laughter to a larger crowd.. sigh

Oh.. And to add to it... Earlier that same day I piled up the yard leaves and decided I wanted to burn them in the ditch out front... Placed a "Little" fuel on them .... oh say about 30' worth.. lit the match... BOOOM.. put me on my butt.... Grabbed a shovel and started digging a path to keep the fire at bay... I wonder why my wife was laughing later that day? hmmmmm
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 07-01-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Okay, as an ex foundry rat, I know a little about burns. First (and I know it's a little late for you guys), get them as cold as possible as fast as possible. Then get vitamin E capsules, biggest ones you can find, cut them open and spread the goo on the burn. The E works on bug bites and sunburn too.
    Hope this helps.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Okay, as an ex foundry rat, I know a little about burns. First (and I know it's a little late for you guys), get them as cold as possible as fast as possible. Then get vitamin E capsules, biggest ones you can find, cut them open and spread the goo on the burn. The E works on bug bites and sunburn too.
    Hope this helps.

john
    I immediately got into the house and started a cold shower and got in it. After about 2 - 3 minutes, I got out and called the wife and the doctor. Doctor told me to come right in and they immediately put thin towels in ice water and then laid those on my burns. They changed / re-wetted the towels every minute or two. Then I once again ran my arm under cold water in their sink until they were ready to bandage me. They removed the pieces of loose, dead skin and put a pretty healthy dose of Silver Sulfadiazine Cream on the burns and wrapped it with gauze bandages. Then I was sent home with a couple of prescriptions (pain, antibiotics, and more of the silver cream) and instructions on care of the wound and a return appointment on Tuesday. Right now, the pain is very tolerable and dltang is expected to be home from work in about an hour and she can baby me then.

Spyder Garage

Whatever are we going to do with you? They say self-inflicted wounds don't count.....but they still hurt like heck! Glad it didn't happen before Chicago. Heal fast!!!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Dang dude hope you heal fast. Lucky you didnt get your hair burnt too.
    Longlegs rides again.

Spyder Garage

Default Very sorry BJT.

That's terrible BJT! I can't imagine the pain you are going to have to endure till you heal. Maybe by sharing what happened to you, it will make the rest of us think before something similiar.
    My parents had a friend 40 years ago that was BBQing when the fire went out. He thought he would just squirt some lighter fluid on it to get it going again.
    Terrible burns and his face really got it bad. To this day, I still see idiots doing the same thing. Not me! Not on your life.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I used to work with firefighters and I always wondered if they were all pyromaniacs at heart. And I think you just confirmed that

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Default STUPID SOME TIMES

A few us were lighting off block busters, Fairly safe we own 1300 acres and we were in the middle of the property
    Someone not saying who, comes up with a fantastic idea let's go down to our lake, [This was in January and the lake is frozen] tie one to a rock and drop it though a hole in the ice. In retrospect maybe we should have moved off the ice before it blew. Lucky the water was only 3 feet deep at that spot.
    My old man would always say, Whats the sense of being stupid if you don't show it every now and then.

P/S= I got hit with just water, Fire now that's got to really hurt, Hope you heal quick.

Spyder Garage

I was working on one of our dragsters one night, down in the pit pulling the pan off the Clutch-Flite. I was kind of tired and lazy, so I got a speed wrench and two long extensions, so I could work over my head but leave my hands near my waist. In loosening the oily bolts, the socket slipped of a stubborn one, and hit me in square the eyeball...at the end of a three foot long lever! I didn't cuss, or make a sound, I just slumped down and sat on the stairs. You know it hurts when you don't cuss! Went blind in that eye for a couple of weeks, after it filled with blood. Saturday night I kept choosing the lane with the bad eye, so I could see the tree with the other. The car owner though I was nuts, always choosing the same lane. I never told him the truth until I healed.

I hope sharing stories about stupid makes you feel a tiny bit better, Brian. We've all been there!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have had 3rd degree burns on my legs with I was in Saudia Arabia, I must admit a BURN is the most PAINFUL thing I have ever witness.. I wish you a speedy recovery Brian..

Joe
    (X)

PS: I'm sure Deb will take GREAT care of you brother..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longlegs View Post
    Dang dude hope you heal fast. Lucky you didnt get your hair burnt too.
    What little hair I have did get singed, especially my right eyebrow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel for you, man. Burns hurt like hell. I spilled burning grease on me and got 2nd and 3rd degree burns. 3 weeks in the hospital, debriding twice a day. NOT fun. Like you have already mentioned, watch out for infection.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

I can hear it now.
    Deb-911 what is your emergency?
    Brian- I was lighting some branches in my yard with gasoline and I got burnt.
    Deb- (under her breath says "idiot") what is your location sir?
    Brian- I'm at ***** ******, please hurry.
    Deb- Honey is that you?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I can hear it now.
    Deb-911 what is your emergency?
    Deb- (under her breath says "idiot") what is your location sir?
    Brian- I'm at ***** ******, please hurry.
    Deb- Honey is that you?
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

sorry to hear of your misfortune Brian. Best Wishes from Jan and I for an uneventful recovery. It stinks to spend your leave time healing instead of traveling.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

"They removed the pieces of loose, dead skin and put a pretty healthy dose of Silver Sulfadiazine Cream on the burns"

OUCH !!! That just sounds way painful! Get better soon!

At least he didn't call 911 and get Seth O.....:

Setho-911 what is your emergency?
    Setho- What the were you thinking? You need to get that ing arm under some cold ing water, right ing now!

(sorry Setho--- just couldn't help myself.... )

FIRE BAAAAAAAD!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Stupid or NOT, burns are painful and dangerous. It is good you got medical attention and have a professional wife to aid and pamper you. I pray you heal quickly and can remain pain free.

Fr. Leo†

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Gee, reminds me of when hubby was going out to grill. He had the grill lid down to start his manly grill. he started it and let it warm up. I was laying on the couch inside,just watching him. He lifted the cover up and a wave of flame just rolled out of the grill and down to the ground. It quickly dissipated, but not before he singed his eyebrows, singed the hair on his forehead, eyelashes, and some hair on his legs, as he was wearing shorts. I jumped up and ran out there to make sure he was ok. I couldn't help laughing at him though. No skin was burned, but he stunk of singed hair. I made him shower after I checked him out. Now he checks it before doing anything. It must be a guy thing with fire.
    Heal up and be careful.
    Joyce
    happy owner

Spyder Garage

How you doin so far Bro? Hope you're not hurtin too much.
    Longlegs rides again.

Spyder Garage

Glad you are ok! That must have been quite a scare!

I do stupid things all the time. I learn from the stupid thing I did and then go on to the next stupid thing for me to do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longlegs View Post
    How you doin so far Bro? Hope you're not hurtin too much.
    I'm doing good. Taking my pain pills as prescribed and there isn't too much discomfort. Unfortunately, I just re-read my antibiotic prescription this morning and I was supposed to be taking 2 pills 2 times per day and I was only taking 1 pill 2 times per day. Hopefully I don't end up getting an infection because of that mistake. I go to the doctor tomorrow and she'll tell me how things are looking from a professional's perspective.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Glad you are ok! That must have been quite a scare!

I do stupid things all the time. I learn from the stupid thing I did and then go on to the next stupid thing for me to do.
    I was scared when I saw the damage to my arm. It's nice to have time off of work but we could really use the money I was scheduled to make with some overtime as we just got the summer tax bills on our house plus two rental properties. Hopefully the doctor will give me a good report tomorrow and I'll be able to at least show up for my normal work instead of burning all my vacation and sick days on this.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Unfortunately, I just re-read my antibiotic prescription this morning and I was supposed to be taking 2 pills 2 times per day and I was only taking 1 pill 2 times per day.
    Not good...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    ...instead of burning all my vacation and sick days on this.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder: