Spyder Garage

Default Is my power steering even working????

Yes that's probably the dumbest question you've seen on this forum but honestly the only Spyder I've ever ridden is mine so I have no frame of reference. I hear all these stories about the power steering issues and it got me thinking that mine may not even be working at all. I certainly don't have the issues of it locking up but to me it doesn't feel like anything is helping me around the corners either. I talked to the dealer of the previous owner and they confirmed that the DPS update was done. Beats me if he is telling the truth.

It's obvious that I need to test drive another Spyder to know for sure but can anyone give me an idea of how easy it's supposed to turn?

One test I did was turning the bars when the bike was off and then trying it when the bike was running (smart of me right!!!!). I'm afraid to say it didn't feel any different.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear from you experienced folks on this one.
    Thanks!!!

Spyder Garage

I could tell the difference in mine since when I bought it it was working. One morning on my way home from work I got the "Check DPS" message and could immediately tell the steering was different, specially at low speeds. I know some have said they are having issues without getting the "Check DPS" message so my best way for you to tell if your DPS is working or not is to pull the fuse then ride it around. If it doesn't feel any different from how it is, then likely it wasn't working to begin with.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    Yes that's probably the dumbest question you've seen on this forum but honestly the only Spyder I've ever ridden is mine so I have no frame of reference. I hear all these stories about the power steering issues and it got me thinking that mine may not even be working at all. I certainly don't have the issues of it locking up but to me it doesn't feel like anything is helping me around the corners either. I talked to the dealer of the previous owner and they confirmed that the DPS update was done. Beats me if he is telling the truth.

It's obvious that I need to test drive another Spyder to know for sure but can anyone give me an idea of how easy it's supposed to turn?

One test I did was turning the bars when the bike was off and then trying it when the bike was running (smart of me right!!!!). I'm afraid to say it didn't feel any different.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear from you experienced folks on this one.
    Thanks!!!
    check out this thread
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...teering&page=2
    Randy
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    GULF COAST SPYDERRYDERS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

at nigth after you start the bike if you turn the handle bars do the lights dim?? Thats a reasonable indication that it is working. Working correctly may be a different story but clearly there is a power draw if that is happening.
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

With the not running, put some pressure on the handle bars, not trying to turn it, just some pressure. Start it up while holding pressure on the bars and you should feel the bars move easier, if it is working.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GA-SPYDER View Post
    With the not running, put some pressure on the handle bars, not trying to turn it, just some pressure. Start it up while holding pressure on the bars and you should feel the bars move easier, if it is working.

GI Joe had me test his Spyder this past Saturday, and he has no power steering at all. It was much more difficult to steer than what I am used to, and would definitely give you a workout if ryding it all the time like that. He got on my Spyder and noticed the difference as soon as he started it up.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

^ What he said.

You could pull the fuse to disable DPS and see if there's a difference.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Spyder Garage

If you think it is not working it probably isn't. When it works it is very noticeable at low speeds. I believe that there are a few of them out there that are not working and the rider does not know any better or does not care.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

If on a rough surface it can be hard to tell the difference between PS on and off. Park on a smooth surface (like a painted garage floor, smooth, etc.) and you should notice quite a difference between PS on and off when turning the bars.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Question Little confused...

From day one.. On our RT-S.. We cannot steer our bike at a stand still without serious arm strength. Drives just fine... But there is no difference between the key turned on, or an the engine running when we try to steer.

For example... My wife cannot begin to steer the bike until it is moving.

This is fine and dandy to us. We thought the DPS only worked once moving. Are we all wet?
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    From day one.. On our RT-S.. We cannot steer our bike at a stand still without serious arm strength. Drives just fine... But there is no difference between the key turned on, or an the engine running when we try to steer.

This is fine and dandy to us. We thought the DPS only worked once moving. Are we all wet?
    That is the way the RT was designed. Magic Man has a thread on here somewhere discussing the entire steering situation with the RT. Yours sounds like everything is fine.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

When I took mine in for same issue they hooked it up to their BUDS computer and it showed no problems even though I knew it wasnt working.
    So after taking service manager outside to steer a 2010 and try to steer my 2008 sitting still he could tell it was bad.
    I think you may want to swing by your dealer and have them do a comparison between a new Spyder and yours - its a major difference when DPS works. They may be able to help you in getting it replaced even if the BUDS shows no fault codes.
    If that doesnt work send Carlo an email at BRP Tech Support (address/phone # is on here somewhere) and see what he can do for you

Spyder Garage

There should be a big difference between when the engine is stopped and when the engine is running. To my understanding the DPS needs and should privide MORE assistance at lower speed and LESS assistance at higher speed. Better have your bike checked out by the dealer.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Easy way to tell - with engine off, try turning the bars. Then start it. If the bars turn easier, it is functioning.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Default BRP=Backordered Repair Parts

Mine wasn't working right either. My new DPS is on Backorder
    Longlegs rides again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jnt View Post
    Easy way to tell - with engine off, try turning the bars. Then start it. If the bars turn easier, it is functioning.
    Thought so... Looks like ours may be "Assist" challenged. It "Is" easier to turn, but requires a significant amount of personal assistance to do it. I am a farely typical strength fella, and I man handle it just fine. But it is not turn-able in anyway for my wife unless the bike is moving.

In fact... As I type this.. It reminds me a lot of my old Ford 9n tractor.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Thought so... Looks like ours may be "Assist" challenged. It "Is" easier to turn, but requires a significant amount of personal assistance to do it. I am a farely typical strength fella, and I man handle it just fine. But it is not turn-able in anyway for my wife unless the bike is moving.

In fact... As I type this.. It reminds me a lot of my old Ford 9n tractor.
    Your RT is working the way it was programmed to. The power steering assist does not kick in on that model while you are sitting still.

Read this thread for the details on it: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18491
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Your RT is working the way it was programmed to. The power steering assist does not kick in on that model while you are sitting still.

Read this thread for the details on it: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18491
    Perfect!