Spyder Garage

Smile Recurring handling problem with Spyder

Here's an email I received this morning from Vaughn when he first arrived at work. Just wondering if anyone else is having this same problem:

well I made it here . . . . the spyder was handling really weird on the way to work . . . . . I couldn't hardly get it to turn into the driveway at work . . . . . it kept trying to turn around and go the other direction . . .

I noticed, it seems to be a recurring thing, and especially bad on Fridays . . . .

Have a great weekend & ryde safe everyone!

Cat
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Tell him to call his dealer and tell them what happened. They may offer to pick it up. Either way it should be looked at by a Spyder tech. It sounds like a DPS issue.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jnt View Post
    Tell him to call his dealer and tell them what happened. They may offer to pick it up. Either way it should be looked at by a Spyder tech. It sounds like a DPS issue.
    You do know it was a joke?

Who likes to work on Friday? My spyder does the same thing.

Spyder Garage

Yes, it was a joke . . . . a pitiful attempt at humor on Friday!

In reality, we're so thankful to have had no problems to speak of with either of our Spyders. And we've got a great dealer who answers all our questions.

Cat
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

The problem with my Spyder is somewhat similar to yours. Once I get on it and start ryding, it just wants to keep going. Makes me wish there were more hours in a day sometimes. All work and no play would make us all very cranky.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnCat View Post
    Here's an email I received this morning from Vaughn when he first arrived at work. Just wondering if anyone else is having this same problem:

the spyder was handling really weird on the way to work . . . . .
    I've been retired Nine years , and I'm a little confused, you use that word
    ''Work'' What is that??

Spyder Garage

Default Good one.

Vaughncat says, "Yes, it was a joke . . . . a pitiful attempt at humor on Friday!"
    I disagree Vaughncat. Sounds like a "Larry the Cable Guy" joke. Pretty funny.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnCat View Post

well I made it here . . . . the spyder was handling really weird on the way to work . . . . . I couldn't hardly get it to turn into the driveway at work . . . . . it kept trying to turn around and go the other direction . . .

I noticed, it seems to be a recurring thing, and especially bad on Fridays . . . .

Have a great weekend & ryde safe everyone!

Cat
    You have the very rare "Friday Chip"! It was installed on a few Spyders at random to see how it would affect overall customer satisfaction.

Originally proposed by BRP marketing as an Upgrade to the standard steering control chip, excitment was high when it was found to be effective and very diserable. Test riders simply raved about it (On Monday when they finally returned to work) and big $$ signs were flashing in the Accounting division.

But when management discovered that a large percentage of BRP employees were buying Spyders and nearly all opted to spend the extra money for the Friday Chip upgrade, they became fearful that Friday production at the BRP plant would go to near Zero.

Not only was the entire Friday Chip program scrapped, but all reference to the project was purged completely.

Still, a very lucky few received this chip during the original Product Testing phase. Because BRP did not want to bring any attention to the matter, those that had the chip were never notified.

These owners, not realizing what they have, consider the seeminly random effects of the Friday Chip a steering flaw. When returned for warranty service BRP removes the "Friday Chip" and replaces it with the standard chip. The Friday Chip is then destroyed.

It will do you no good to research this as BRP will deny any such chip or 'Friday' program ever existed. You'll just have to take my word for it. And why not? Everyone else does!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You have the very rare "Friday Chip"! It was installed on a few Spyders at random to see how it would affect overall customer satisfaction.

Originally proposed by BRP marketing as an Upgrade to the standard steering control chip, excitment was high when it was found to be effective and very diserable. Test riders simply raved about it (On Monday when they finally returned to work) and big $$ signs were flashing in the Accounting division.

But when management discovered that a large percentage of BRP employees were buying Spyders and nearly all opted to spend the extra money for the Friday Chip upgrade, they became fearful that Friday production at the BRP plant would go to near Zero.

Not only was the entire Friday Chip program scrapped, but all reference to the project was purged completely.

Still, a very lucky few received this chip during the original Product Testing phase. Because BRP did not want to bring any attention to the matter, those that had the chip were never notified.

These owners, not realizing what they have, consider the seeminly random effects of the Friday Chip a steering flaw. When returned for warranty service BRP removes the "Friday Chip" and replaces it with the standard chip. The Friday Chip is then destroyed.

It will do you no good to research this as BRP will deny any such chip or 'Friday' program ever existed. You'll just have to take my word for it. And why not? Everyone else does!
    That could certainly explain the DPS failure and replacement program.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Default Recurring handling problem with Spyder

Hummm, my Spyder starts on it's own around lunchtime and can only steer away from work towards the hills.

I'll have to have that looked at.
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by qasamm View Post
    Hummm, my Spyder starts on it's own around lunchtime and can only steer away from work towards the hills.

I'll have to have that looked at.
    Having them look into that problem is the last thing I would do. I would just continue to keep quiet about it, and enjoy ryding in the mountains.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!