Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Change to full synthetic

In the past I have used full synthetic in my motorcycles once I have reached approx. 4000 miles with no issues. Can I use Amsoil full synthetic or similar oil in my spyder when I change oil at the 3000 mile service. I would think this switch over would be easier as the Spyder already uses a synthetic blend.

Does anyone know what weight of the BRP oil is as nothing is show on the bottle. The 2009 owners manuel says 5w 40 synthetic should be used.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

5W40 syn is what I use .... personal preferences on brands.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Default Re oil change

Quote Originally Posted by gmopsman View Post
    In the past I have used full synthetic in my motorcycles once I have reached approx. 4000 miles with no issues. Can I use Amsoil full synthetic or similar oil in my spyder when I change oil at the 3000 mile service. I would think this switch over would be easier as the Spyder already uses a synthetic blend.

Does anyone know what weight of the BRP oil is as nothing is show on the bottle. The 2009 owners manuel says 5w 40 synthetic should be used.

Thanks
    Most all synthetic motorcycle oils are usually 10w40, Amsoil 10w40 is good oil,
    I use Mobil1 4t 10w40 I feel better with it because I live in SC. and heat is a factor in south same for TN go for it You can't go wrong it is all I have ever used in my 2008 Spyder PE193 SM5, Since I did start with Mobile 1, I have stayed with it...Happy trails...freebob...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Theres a lot of info on here about oil. I will tell you that the orginal part numebr for oil for our spyders was a full sythetic. They chanegd to a blend most people think to try and save THEMSLEVES some money.
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jabba11 View Post
    Theres a lot of info on here about oil. I will tell you that the orginal part number for oil for our spyders was a full synthetic....
    +1 BRP's old oil spec was their full synthetic 5W40 (potentially made for them by Castrol) but last year they changed the spec to their summer blend oil. I've been using AMSoil 10W40 for quite a while now and the Spyder seems to have no ill effects from it.

Note: I did have a major engine failure but nobody ever said it was oil related. The main failure was external of the engine case (output shaft and front sprocket).
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

I use Castrol 4T 5W40 full synthetic in mine, always have... since the second oil change at 3K.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gmopsman View Post

Thanks
    Once you find a 5w40 or 10w40 Full Synthetic, And most important Motorcycle rated [for wet clutches] oil, Pick the one with the prettiest bottle. At 3 thousand mile oil/filter change intervals they'll all be good.
    Just my opinion' Haven't lost an engine yet because of the oil i used.
    And that go's back to even when i used Sinclair oil.

Spyder Garage

If it was oil related Amsoil would have stood behind their product.
    Longlegs rides again.

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Remember this... AMSOIL guarantees their oil to still be lubricating at 25000 miles under normal conditions. And with some of their lubricants 35000 miles under normal conditions. Please check this link when you have a chance.... http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcf.aspx and this one which is for motorcycles... http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

Wet clutch applications are a little more sever. I personally would not run it 25000 in my motorcycles but I don't hesitate to use it for 6000 to 10000 depending on the engine system. Having said this it shoud be noted that I change the filter(s) every 3000 miles no matter what is going on. Ken krb1945
    Last edited by krb1945; 06-25-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    Remember this... AMSOIL guarantees their oil to still be lubricating at 25000 miles under normal conditions.
    How Does the Guarantee work,? Do they just give back the cost of the oil and filter, If they will replace the engine who pays to analyze the engine to see if the oil was the cause. And do they cover removing/reinstalling the engine?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i use mobil1 T4 mostly for convenience(walmarts carry them) and seems to be almost just as good as others.
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-25-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    I use Castrol 4T 5W40 full synthetic in mine, always have... since the second oil change at 3K.
    It does seem a lot of people wait till the 3,000 + or - mark to switch to Full Synthetic.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    It does seem a lot of people wait till the 3,000 + or - mark to switch to Full Synthetic.
    The 08,s came straight from the factory ''zero'' miles with Full Syn.

Spyder Garage

I will not use Castrol ANYTHING - it's a BP Product. I also heard that BRP oils are also made by BP - So it's coming out ASAP. Given what's goin on, I would not feel right using that stuff...

Having said that, it appears that Amsoil is a very popular choice. If I can find it, I believe that is what I will use.
    Last edited by Raptor; 06-26-2010 at 10:13 PM.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Default Amsoil Data!

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    Remember this... AMSOIL guarantees their oil to still be lubricating at 25000 miles under normal conditions. And with some of their lubricants 35000 miles under normal conditions. Please check this link when you have a chance.... http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcf.aspx and this one which is for motorcycles... http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

Wet clutch applications are a little more sever. I personally would not run it 25000 in my motorcycles but I don't hesitate to use it for 6000 to 10000 depending on the engine system. Having said this it shoud be noted that I change the filter(s) every 3000 miles no matter what is going on. Ken krb1945
    Ken,

Although a very long read http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf (motorcycles, I actually took the time to read all of the data white pages. After absorbing the information I'll be switching to AmSoil for all future oil changes.

I wonder how many SpyderLovers will take the time to read up on the scientific data about motor oils? Amazing information!

I do have a question for you Ken: I will probably change oil at 6000 mile intervals, but I noticed you similarly do this but you mention that you always replace the filters at 3000 mile intervals. I have an 2009 SE5 which requires two filters. My question is this: Is there any leaking or dripping of oil when changing just the filters? (I'm still on page 10 of Mechanics for Dummies book)

Thanks for providing the great links about oil!

John
    Last edited by jrbloise; 06-27-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Very happy 2009 SE-5 Spyder owner since March 2009. Over 39,000 trouble free miles!

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

My dealer gets his BRP oils on Castrol pallets.