Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Smile Need your opinion my first long ride on the spyder

I may believing for South carolina or as my nephew calls it the "confederate states of america" on monday june 28 i could use a list of things to take or ideas to make along tripp comfy i have driven this route by car it takes about 12 hours from Middletown, ny to Conway, sc I do not expect to do that by bike maybe 14 i'am guessing. just so you know i will have the usual stuff i have heard people take on thier trips cellphone,rain gear, i have a scala 2 for the cellphone and for ipod, i will also have my laptop just in case and cold water but i will use that for emergencies being i will have to stop about every 180 miles for fuel anyway so i will keep myself hydrated then. what about sore butt what do you recommend i have the comfort seat but that will last only so long.
    thanks for your help.

Roger

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you're ready but 180 miles between stops is farther than I would go. I'd say more like 120 - 150 miles between fuel ups or around two hours. No sense in running it down to E every time (unless your Spyder gets a lot better mileage than ours).

Also, if your seat is decent and you are stopping to stretch your legs every couple of hours, 14 hours in the saddle probably won't be a problem. Maybe bring a small bottle of baby powder or Monkey Butt powder to help keep your "seat" dry if it gets hot out.
    Last edited by bjt; 06-23-2010 at 12:26 PM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Ride-On in tires...or tire repair kit and small compressor; names, locations, phone numbers of Spyder dealers along route; flashlight; first-aid kit; trash bags to cover seat when it rains; cover for Spyder (?). I would recommend stopping more often, both to rehydrate, stretch, and to rest a bit. It is never wise to run the gas tank down to the warning on a trip, anyway. A sheepskin (Alaska Leather), bead-rider, or AirHawk can make seating more comfortable if need be. Godspeed!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Trip

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Sounds like you're ready but 180 miles between stops is farther than I would go. I'd say more like 120 - 150 miles between fuel ups or around two hours. No sense in running it down to E every time (unless your Spyder gets a lot better mileage than ours).

Also, if your seat is decent and you are stopping to stretch your legs every couple of hours, 14 hours in the saddle probably won't be a problem. Maybe bring a small bottle of baby powder or Monkey Butt powder to help keep your "seat" dry if it gets hot out.
    On my first long trip, I went 156 miles and filled up. only took 4 gallon of gas. Could have gone longer.

Spyder Garage

You may be overzealous with your fuel stops. My husband and I have found that if we stop every 100 miles or so, walk around, drink, etc. the trip is much more enjoyable. Also, please keep in mind that here in the south it is a lot warmer and more humid than what you are used to so hydration is VERY important. If you have a camelback it would help alot. Good luck and enjoy!
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post

That sounds more reasonable for mileage

Pick up powder check

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
    On my first long trip, I went 156 miles and filled up. only took 4 gallon of gas. Could have gone longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by GI Jane View Post
    You may be overzealous with your fuel stops. My husband and I have found that if we stop every 100 miles or so, walk around, drink, etc. the trip is much more enjoyable. Also, please keep in mind that here in the south it is a lot warmer and more humid than what you are used to so hydration is VERY important. If you have a camelback it would help alot. Good luck and enjoy!
    This i know don't mind the heat but that darn humidity you guys can keep! also i was thinking about getting a camelback but not getting one will force me to stop and rest but i will keep a bottle with me.

Roger

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Ride-On in tires...or tire repair kit and small compressor; names, locations, phone numbers of Spyder dealers along route; flashlight; first-aid kit; trash bags to cover seat when it rains; cover for Spyder (?). I would recommend stopping more often, both to rehydrate, stretch, and to rest a bit. It is never wise to run the gas tank down to the warning on a trip, anyway. A sheepskin (Alaska Leather), bead-rider, or AirHawk can make seating more comfortable if need be. Godspeed!
    I have been looking for an airhawk for the past hour got to find one that will ship overnight being we are close to the weekend and shipping time for departure.

Roger

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GI Jane View Post
    +1 on the Camelback. Both dltang and I got one and ended up strapping it to our tank area on the Spyder after we saw BMWGene / SpyderGene with one hooked up that way. Filling the Camelback with ice and water kept it cold most of the day and we could easily hydrate while riding.

Spyder Garage

If I were going anywhere in your neck of the woods, it would be in an air-conditioned cage...

The three major things I have always found useful on a long cycle trip are; (1) a flat tire kit (more for me than ever needed), (2) a throttle lock (under $20), and (3) a beadrider ($35ish - gel seats & similar have never worked for me.)

Spyder Garage

I'm a firm believer in Monkey Butt Powder. It however only delays the inevitable heat and swamp butt rash...So it is no miracle. It works though, and you can buy it at bed bath and beyond or which ever of those bath and home stores didn't go out of business.

I can also vouch for the bead rider. Though I have to add... My first day with it hurt... after that it was fine, and I wasn't getting swamp butt at all.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I have been looking for an airhawk for the past hour got to find one that will ship overnight being we are close to the weekend and shipping time for departure.
    Check with your local BMW or Goldwing dealer, if you have one. Shops that cater to touring bikes often stock them.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default ryde

a gel pack for the seat well help pn ryde a padding well help and monkey powder well help h20 alot.cell phone ,stop every 200miles highway peggs well make ryde fun

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    If I were going anywhere in your neck of the woods, it would be in an air-conditioned cage...

The three major things I have always found useful on a long cycle trip are; (1) a flat tire kit (more for me than ever needed), (2) a throttle lock (under $20), and (3) a beadrider ($35ish - gel seats & similar have never worked for me.)
    Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Check with your local BMW or Goldwing dealer, if you have one. Shops that cater to touring bikes often stock them.
    Thank you i will look them up now!

Roger

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by vt228 View Post
    a gel pack for the seat well help pn ryde a padding well help and monkey powder well help h20 alot.cell phone ,stop every 200miles highway peggs well make ryde fun
    Yes i have highway pegs and a throttle lock and one of those palm style throttle rests. for got the name off hand.

Roger

Spyder Garage

My wife and I went to Colorado a couple of weeks ago. This was our 1st long trip. Temps were in the high 90's. We learned 3 things:

1. 100-120 miles was enough. Then it was break time.
    2. Picked up a beaded seat cover at a truck stop for $13. Covered the entire seat. Big help!
    3. Got doorags and got them good a wet at each stop. Definitely cooled our heads.

Have a safe trip!

Spyder Garage

Default Have fun.

Hello Roger,
    Put, "having fun" on your list.
    Click on the link below or go to the home page, located on the right hand side. It is called, " Spyders to the Rescue." A nice list to have at your fingertips.

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc...YQ&hl=en#gid=0

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Roger, it is much hotter and more humid down here than it was when you were here for bike week. You are going to need to drink a lot of water, and possibly throw some Gatorade into the mix, in order to stay hydrated. My wife and I went for a 1 hour ryde yesterday evening, and she was feeling drained by the time we got back home.

I hope you have a great trip, and ryde safe!
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

There seems to be quite a bit of talk here about seat pads. Roger, are you sure that the comfort saddle will cause you issues over the course of a day long ride? I don't have one but I've heard that it is a good upgrade over the stock saddle.

IMO, those beads, gel pads, sheepskins, etc. only go so far in making long distance rides comfortable. When we had the stock saddle, the beadriders were a nice change after a few hundred miles and we swapped them on and off during the ride. 500 + miles continuous on the beadrider still wasn't a comfortable ride. Both dltang and myself upgraded to Russell saddles and those beads (or any other pads) were not needed any more.

My advice is that if you plan on doing many long distance rides and the comfort saddle in itself isn't good for you, look into getting a Corbin, Russell or other saddle that you can spend many hundreds of miles in without issue.

Spyder Garage

Smile

IMO, those beads, gel pads, sheepskins, etc. only go so far in making long distance rides comfortable. When we had the stock saddle, the beadriders were a nice change after a few hundred miles and we swapped them on and off during the ride. 500 + miles continuous on the beadrider still wasn't a comfortable ride. Both dltang and myself upgraded to Russell saddles and those beads (or any other pads) were not needed any more.

My advice is that if you plan on doing many long distance rides and the comfort saddle in itself isn't good for you, look into getting a Corbin, Russell or other saddle that you can spend many hundreds of miles in without issue.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by COOLMACHINE View Post
    Hello Roger,
    Click on the link below or go to the home page, located on the right hand side. It is called, " Spyders to the Rescue." A nice list to have at your fingertips.

Thank you that is a good idea i did print out a list of dealers along the route also

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Roger, it is much hotter and more humid down here than it was when you were here for bike week. You are going to need to drink a lot of water, and possibly throw some Gatorade into the mix, in order to stay hydrated. My wife and I went for a 1 hour ryde yesterday evening, and she was feeling drained by the time we got back home.

I have been thinking about this alot iwill be carrying alot of water but being this is my first long trip (about 750 miles) if i feel that the weather is getting the best of me i have no problem stopping for the night however i think this distance is totally doable just taken my time enjoy the ride and the people staring at me as i pass by.

[quote=bjt;220976]There seems to be quite a bit of talk here about seat pads. Roger, are you sure that the comfort saddle will cause you issues over the course of a day long ride? I don't have one but I've heard that it is a good upgrade over the stock saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by COOLMACHINE View Post
    Hello Roger,

Thank you that is a good idea i did print out a list of dealers along the route also

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

I have been thinking about this alot iwill be carrying alot of water but being this is my first long trip (about 750 miles) if i feel that the weather is getting the best of me i have no problem stopping for the night however i think this distance is totally doable just taken my time enjoy the ride and the people staring at me as i pass by.

[QUOTE=bjt;220976]There seems to be quite a bit of talk here about seat pads. Roger, are you sure that the comfort saddle will cause you issues over the course of a day long ride? I don't have one but I've heard that it is a good upgrade over the stock saddle.

I have been looking for something to use which i have not had to much luck so now i'am thinking maybe i wont need it and if i do i could always find something down their and use it on the return trip.

Roger

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

IMO,

I have been looking for something to use which i have not had to much luck so now i'am thinking maybe i wont need it and if i do i could always find something down their and use it on the return trip.

Thats the best way Rog. Go there with what you have now, Then you'll know what to use for the return trip.
    You might find out you really don't need any thing else.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Roger, enjoy your trip

Spyder Garage

If you are still looking for an airhawk - check with a Harley dealer near you - they usually carry them - I have the upgraded seat and still like the sheepskin on it - cool in the summer - warm in the cold season.
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    BRP 1" riser, Trunk liner & Fog Lights. NMN Triple Play & Turn Signal LED, Double Play, Front Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Light Kit, Center Tail Light. 3" Handlebar Riser Kit, Adj. Footrest Brackets & Axle Caps, and Chad Windshield. Kuryakyn Spider pegs & mounts, ISO Grips, & Throttle Boss. J&M radio (Custom Bracket). Evoluzione Power Bus. DEI Exhaust Wrap. AudioVox Cruise Control (Custom Bracket). Gerbing Electric clothing socket.

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Make sure you take a swim suit. Hit the pool every evening when you stop for the night when on the road. It will loosen up tired stiff muscles. Anything else you may not have with you can be picked up along the way. Ken krb1945
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

I am sure I am going to repeat some things already said... but here goes...

1. Plan to stop every 100 - 125 miles or every hour or hour and a half.
    2. Get Ride-On for your tires
    3. Make sure your maintenance is up-to-date and fluids are topped off
    4. Carry an extra quart of oil cuz you never know
    5. Carry extra coolant... again, you never know
    6. Make note of any extra tools you think you might need and plan accordingly without over-doing it
    7. Bring water and/or Gatorade
    8. Bring spare fuses and a spare relay

Have fun and ride safe!
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    I am sure I am going to repeat some things already said... but here goes...

1. Plan to stop every 100 - 125 miles or every hour or hour and a half....
    100 miles in an hour? You must ride with docdoru.