Spyder Garage

Default My Own Worst Enemy

Well, the last minute decision to make it to the Chicago event has taken a toll. We had a nice ride (both Spyders) to the AHRMA vintage motorcycle races Sunday. It was then that I decided to go to Chicago...and talked Nancy into it that evening. Talk about last minute plans! I also decided we needed to do some things to get the RTS ready for the journey. Uh-oh, looks like time for a garage session!

I have had some mods here, but with the Spyder in the shop for so many weeks, no opportunity to install them. I have also held off on buying some other mods, pending whether or not this Spyder became history. Yesterday, the rush began to catch up.

First order of business was an Eastern Beaver 3-circuit fuse switched block. I did not see a need for the PC-8, as I have few accessories to add to the well equipped RTS. Time to take off my panels again. They should have made these things with zippers!

Fusebox in place, I installed two Powerlets in the glove box Y-panel. I needed a place to plug in my GPS There are very few places where Powerlets will fit on the RT, and space is very tight in those locations.. I was going to power these with the front unswitched accessory plug, but when the dealer moved it from inside the shock, where it was improperly tied from the factory, he made it inaccessible without removing the trunk, and I didn't have time to take off the frunk. I made up a wiring harness, ran some split loom, and went to the new fuse block...for now. The switched power will work fine for my GPS.

Next, I swiped the Starcom1 off my BMW (temporarily) and the power harness off Nancy's Spyder. That also runs to the new power block. I tucked the Starcom1 under the frame just behind the glove box. I did not have time for permanent wiring, so the audio plug to the rrunk is jury rigged for now. I'll add a bulkhead connector when I have time to pull apart the rear bodywork and do it right. Up front, for the GPS, I can use a simple coiled cord, running under the seat. Not elegant, but effective. A permanent bulkhead connector could be added to the switch panel...maybe later. Now I have tunes in my helmet, and a way to talk to my wife, as well as directions (from the GPS, not her). With the iPod connected to both the RTS and the Starcom1, I also have sound at the speakers and handlebar control of the iPod.

The next problem to solve was a way to protect the windshield when the Spyder is covered. The Outdoor Cover that comes with the RTS has a protective surface inside, but the smaller Travel Cover does not. The two of us will have no room for the larger cover without a trailer for this journey, so we bought some sweatshirt material and Nancy sewed an envelope to cover the windshield. Now the cover can't cause scratches. A yard of material was plenty.

The final need was a rain cover for the seat. Seat stiching leaks in the rain, and the foam gets soaked, making for a miserable ride for several days. The embroidered PE seat is worse. We found some waterproof jacket material (light packcloth) at the local fabric store...just enough for two covers. We traced out the shape of the seat on the material in chalk, and Nancy sewed a cover. We'll put the elastic cord in the hem tomorrow, and that will be complete. Nancy will use the remaining cloth for a seat rain cover for her RS. No more plastic trash bags!

It had been an intense two days. Sorry, no pictures, as yet. Besides needing time, I want to clean some things up and test them out before I post these things. Remember, I said some were temporary. If you want to see how things came out, look me up in Chicago.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 06-22-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I will definitely be looking for you and Nancy this weekend. I know there are a bunch of SpyderLovers who are happy you and Nancy decided to brave the urban jungle to attend the event!

As for covers...I'm an old school-fool and just use a small tarp and bungees. Not pretty...but neither am I !!! ...wait...that didn't come out right...

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

It's good that you have a wife, that can do all that work.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    It's good that you have a wife, that can do all that work.
    I could have sewed it myself...I do my own upholstery on the vintage bikes, and once made my own down jacket and vest. It was a lot handier with us both. it took two of us to mark it up (no pattern) and cut it out. It was handy for her to sew while I finished the wrench work, though. After nearly 36 years, we are a pretty good team!
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear things are starting to come together for you and your RT. I hope you and Nancy have a great trip to Chicago and back as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

That sewing thing is a lost trade for today's generation. Hopefully the prep work pays off and you both have a good time in chicago.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I will definitely be looking for you and Nancy this weekend. I know there are a bunch of SpyderLovers who are happy you and Nancy decided to brave the urban jungle to attend the event!

As for covers...I'm an old school-fool and just use a small tarp and bungees. Not pretty...but neither am I !!! ...wait...that didn't come out right...
    Been meaning to buy one of those seat-covers like you did (didn't you??) - but need to find them someplace other than Walmart.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Seam leaks

Scotty, I have used this stuff in days gone by and it works very well. When carefully applied it seals the seams that allows water to make it's way in and soak the foam interior of the seat, with no visible evidence of the application..Len

http://www.atsko.com/products/waterp...welt-seal.html
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Spyder Garage

Sounds a lot like someone else I know. see you there Bro

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Sounds a lot like someone else I know. see you there Bro
    I learned from the best! At least I didn't get slowed down by a trip to the hospital. See ya Friday.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I learned from the best! At least I didn't get slowed down by a trip to the hospital. See ya Friday.
    Hey, don't "dog" Lamont like that!

A statement like that could come back to "bite" you later.

Because there is something wrong with it, but I just can't put my "finger" on it.

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    Hey, don't "dog" Lamont like that!

A statement like that could come back to "bite" you later.

Because there is something wrong with it, but I just can't put my "finger" on it.

MM
    Thanks Bro
    Hey, make sure you're eating when yo open this link.
    http://vimeo.com/12781798

Spyder Garage

Wow, that looks as if you lost a 1/4 " of your finger.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Classic video......

A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Thanks Bro
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Scotty it sounds like your trying to burn the candle on both ends these days just like a fellow I know by the name of Ken.

Ride 'em safely and have a ball in Chicago. Ken krb1945
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

Thanks Bro
    Nice video there Lamont. I hope you are okay and heal quickly.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

OMG Bro.. How did that happen .. ?

Evan . The Chairman is in distress .. have u no compassion?
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)

Spyder Garage

Wow Lamont, that looked really bad. Did you really have to record it in HD though? No need to tell you to man up, as you did a great job putting up with all of that. I hope you are pain free now, and will have a full recovery as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods