Thread: LOVE my Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default LOVE my Spyder

I've noticed lately many notes from panicing newbies about all the horrible stories and complaints that they see here. I'm concerned that maybe our negatives are scaring people off rather than helping them feel equiped and knowledgable.

I'm in no way saying that we shouldn't post about problems or complain or whine or whatever. There's definitely some justifiable irritation that gets shown here. But at the same time I'd like to see more positives posted too. It's good to balance the good and the bad to present a full view of the product.

Someone has already linked (in another thread) to some positive spyder threads that have come through in the past. I'd love it if people could chime in on this thread and link other positive threads as well as share your love for your Spyder, your positive experiences on the Spyder, with your dealer, with BRP, with people asking you questions, etc. What do you love about it? What makes it fun?

Let's try to keep this one 100% positive and encouraging for new and curious people. There's plenty of places to read about bad stuff already.

I'll post my own <3 for my Spyder later tonight. Now I get the double bonus of going home from a hard day at work AND riding my Spyder!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ive done my share of complaining but I do really love the spyder. i ride it more frequently than ANY bike I ever owned and it is more practical and useful to boot. its safer, attention grabbing and a technical marvel. its not without its faults but I do beleive we are part of learning curve and all the things we complain about today will hopefully becomes issues of the past.
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Spyder Garage

Um, what's a Spyder?

Honestly though, I also love mine and have had some very good times on it already. I am expecting the good times to last for a long time as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Well, I'm getting healthier due to my Spyder. I'm smoking less, eating less and everyone I know says I'm a hell of a lot more fun to be around. I think my brother put it best...now you're only working between thrill rydes.

I haven't bought a new vehicle of any kind since 1997 due to a variety of reasons but mostly to just survive my child support obligations. I'm really looking forward to next month when I get to drive 500+ miles to pick up my 18 yr old daughter on the Spyder. She has no idea I made the purchase and I can't wait to see her face when she realizes Dad actually is....cool.

I've had no regrets since the day I bought it....none.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pierrelogic View Post
    I'm really looking forward to next month when I get to drive 500+ miles to pick up my 18 yr old daughter on the Spyder. She has no idea I made the purchase and I can't wait to see her face when she realizes Dad actually is....cool.

But if you are taking her the 500 miles back to your place, I hope you have some bags for all of her stuff.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

But if you are taking her the 500 miles back to your place, I hope you have some bags for all of her stuff.
    Oh you know I have that in my plans. Saddle bags, tail bag, maybe a hitch for a Uhaul. Still, might need to ship some item home via UPS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pierrelogic View Post
    Oh you know I have that in my plans. Saddle bags, tail bag, maybe a hitch for a Uhaul. Still, might need to ship some item home via UPS.
    Very glad to hear you are thinking ahead and have things covered.

I wish you the best, and hope you have a great trip and a safe ryde.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I love my Spyder! It has been fun and exciting to get my m class license and learn about this unique ride. Where I thought my wife would be uninterested and worried she share the passion- now preparing to get her own license and move to the front of the seat. Place your bets on how long before Spyder #2 will take to appear in the garage.
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Spyder Garage

Several years ago I was in a job where I was working only a mile or so from home. It seemed silly to drive my car to work every day, but at the same time I didn't want to walk or bike. My idea was to buy a scooter or other small motorcycle to get me to and from work.

With that idea in mind, I began visiting the motorcycle dealerships around town to see what was available and what prices were like. I did a lot of online research and looked into a lot of reviews and message boards like this one.

However, the more research I did into scooters and motorcycles the more nervous I became about the possibility of finding one to fit me (short legs), tipping, holding up something so heavy, learning to shift, etc.

After a while I gave up on the idea all together but every Spring the car felt more stifling and motorcycles looked more fun. I just couldn't reconcile my fear of them enough to justify looking any further.

Finally last year around March, I saw a billboard in town advertising the Spyder. I couldn't believe how cool it looked and I could instantly tell that the added front wheel would make riding it way more stable, remove my fears about tipping, holding up something heavy and not having long enough legs. Later that same evening I saw one on the road! It was like a sign to me and I immediately went home and started researching.

I kept trying to talk myself out of buying one. I had no motorcycle license so I couldn't test ride one. But the more I read, the more interested I became. I forced myself to put it out of my mind for a while but every time I saw a motorcycle on the road (and they're everywhere around here), that urge to be out there with them came back.

Finally around June I decided I'd waited long enough and ventured back into the motorcycle shop I'd read had one. They had several and I sat on them. I found that they had a semi-automatic one which took away my last concern about learning to shift. I talked to the sales person, but they wouldn't let me test ride one without a full motorcycle license. I didn't even have a permit. They told me about raising the handlebars to make it fit me better, about the ABS, the safety features to help keep it from tipping. The more I heard, the more I liked.

Still I walked away again determined to make an informed decision. I found this place soon after and read through posts like crazy. Finally after visiting the dealer several more times throughout July and early August I was convinced that the Spyder was what I'd been looking for. I went and took my permit test and then that weekend signed papers on the loan.

I drove the Spyder off the lot having never test ridden it and having never been on a motorcycle before. It took a bit to get it and boy was I scared. But it was also fun! I instantly fell in love with riding. Fell in love with the air, the smells, the free feeling, the power, the speed... everything. I also fell in love with the security, the not having to put my feet down, the larger profile vehicle so I'm more easily seen, the not having to think about shifting.

I'm not an extroverted person at all. In general I don't tend to like other people and stay away from them as much as possible. I like to be around people I know and like and everyone else I can do without.

The one thing I love that I never expected to is the attention. Nearly every time I stop someone comes up to talk to me about the Spyder. I'm thrilled to tell them about my ride and how it makes me feel. I can't stop smiling when I talk about it. Now I go to my dealer and wind up having customers ditch sales people to talk to me about the Spyder. My boyfriend tells them I should get commission.

In short, I fell in love with the Spyder. I have had no problems with mine and I have no regrets about purchasing it.

Spyder Garage

Talking

Well stated Kytten! and I couldn't agree more.
    I stopped riding a 2 wheel motorcycle about 30 years ago because of the stability and safety issues you mentioned. Last year when Vaughn and I started riding together on his 1500 Suzuki, I had such inner turmoil because I REALLY wanted to ride again, but just couldn't see me on 2 wheels again.

Vaughn has a bad right knee due to having lost his left leg in a work related accident about 25 years ago. We discussed the stability issues and thought a trike might be the answer. We considered our options, new, used, even a conversion kit on the Suzuki. But then we saw the Spyder. . . and like the song says "Just One Look" . . . . that's all it took!

We were budgeting for the RS but after considering the cost of adding the options, we decided on the RT. And we love it! It resolved all the safety and stability issues and added so many more great features. In the first 3 months, we put on 5,000 miles . . . and that was riding in every kind of less-than-favorable weather -- rain, snow, sleet and even a few rays of sunshine here and there --
    temps from 32 to 40 were common, above 60 degrees was rare. But it didn't matter.

Well, within a week after getting the RT, guess who was doing practice laps in the parking lot? My decision was made. After dealing with the headaches of the antiquated motor vehicles licensing process, I got a learners permit. But then we needed a second Spyder (besides, who needs a retirement account for the kids to inherit!?! ), and that's when that little red Spyder followed us home.

So far, the 'issues' we've had (trunk lock fell out, bouncing fuel gauge replaced, clutch recall, whatever) has been so insignificant when compared at the fun and adventure our Spyders have opened up for us. (And I'm really sorry for those who are having major issues . . . it does happen.)

We've gained such great information from Spyderlovers.com on both the positive and 'constructive' side of things. If it hadn't been for the posts about the bouncing fuel gauge and the clutch problems, we wouldn't have been able to be as specific about the issue when we called our
    dealer (who also monitors the posts here and really keeps on top of things).

We love our Spyders
    and we love Spyderlovers.com and recommend both highly. It is unfortunate that the Spyders get quite a bit of negative press here. But when compared to the number of Spyderlovers viewing the posts and the number of negative posts, it's probably 98% good and 2% negative. In the end, the truth about something will always outshine the false (or negative). And I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth to this thread.

Where else but at Spyderlovers.com are you going to find such comic relief? As I've often said Spyderlovers.com beats a good shrink anyday.

So, fill'er up and ryde on!

Cat

Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by qasamm View Post
    I love my Spyder! It has been fun and exciting to get my m class license and learn about this unique ride. Where I thought my wife would be uninterested and worried she share the passion- now preparing to get her own license and move to the front of the seat. Place your bets on how long before Spyder #2 will take to appear in the garage.
    It took 1 month for me to buy my wife a Spyder of her own.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

It is great to see these positive responses about the Spyder. Our experience has been mostly the same. We have had 3 spyders since 2008--a new one each year. The current stable is a 2009 RS and a 2010 RT-S. I traded off the original one at 20,000 miles for the new RT-S. We have had positive experiences with all of them, and in almost 40,000 total Spyder miles, we have no regrets. We have had no major mechanical problems, breakdowns, or long stints in the shop, waiting for repairs or parts. We are fortunate to have a good, and knowledgeable dealer who has worked with us. In two years of riding, we have covered pretty much all the paved roads in Alaska and have not had any mechanical failure. In four weeks, we are going to take a five day trip down the Alcan Highway to Skagway from Eagle River AK. 1600+ miles on some lonely, but scenic roads.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad I read this thread.
    I just sold two of my bikes (Honda & Ural w/sidecar) so I can go ahead and become a Spyder owner very soon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wvsquirrel View Post
    I just sold two of my bikes (Honda & Ural w/sidecar) so I can go ahead and become a Spyder owner very soon.
    welcome and best of luck with your future purchase.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wvsquirrel View Post
    Welcome! Come back in a few weeks and give us the story of your purchase and tell us how much you love your Spyder too.

Spyder Garage

Default That was funny and true

Kytten, I found it funny in your post where you wrote about people ditching the salesman to come over and talk to you about your spyder. Everybody’s got questions don't they? Did I hear someone say, "Rock Star?" J

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture