Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Coolant level question

I decided to check all of the fluids today-after 1500 miles I figured it was about time. The coolant level is very difficult to see, but it appears that I barely have an 1/4 in. of fluid in it. I called the dealer and he said as long as you can see it and it is not overheating it is fine. I thought you would want the fluid at least midway between min and max.

Is the dealer correct. Of course it is also possible that given the location of the tank that I can not see the level correctly. I used a flashlight and that is how I was able to see the little bit that appears to be in the tank.

Spyder Garage

If you take off a couple panels you can see better.
    Yesterday I stuck a piece of Orange weed wacker twine down in and felt how much was wet (Measured) when I pulled it out.
    (Not Real Scientific but it worked?)

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Re coolant level

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    I decided to check all of the fluids today-after 1500 miles I figured it was about time. The coolant level is very difficult to see, but it appears that I barely have an 1/4 in. of fluid in it. I called the dealer and he said as long as you can see it and it is not overheating it is fine. I thought you would want the fluid at least midway between min and max.

Is the dealer correct. Of course it is also possible that given the location of the tank that I can not see the level correctly. I used a flashlight and that is how I was able to see the little bit that appears to be in the tank.

Yes it is difficult to see level of coolant, I use a turkey baster to add and or remove coolant, Sometime u think your seeing coolant level in tank but green coolant stains plastic tank and u see what had been highest level in tank but actual coolant is below that...good luck..freebob

Spyder Garage

A lot depends on whether you checked cold or hot. You can be near the minimum level when cold, but will be between the lines when hot.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

shine a light down in there it makes it easier to see then and it should be between the min and max.
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The light didn't help.

I may take a run to the dealer tomorrow and let them check it out. The weather looks good for the hour or so it takes to get to them.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jabba11 View Post
    shine a light down in there it makes it easier to see then and it should be between the min and max.
    Bingo,,, thats the best way I found out,, take a flash light and put it in the hole where the cap is, you can see it much better..

Joe
    (X)