Spyder Garage

Default Low Tech Vintage mirror fix

I was on a ride and stopped at a watering hole and was regailed by a group of cafe racer bikes. As soon as I saw their mirror set ups I was sold on my next saftey improvement.

7/8" Bar End Mirrors. I had planned to get the extensions but wasn't ready for that commitment. Online I found a pair of bar ends for $18.00, free shipping.

It took 15 minutes to install, 5 to align and set. A little test ride around the block with my trusty 4mm allen for any final adjustments and the units are GREAT! It gets that blind spot I can't turn my helmeted head far enough to see.

Just my$0.02
    Buck1234

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by buck1234 View Post
    I was on a ride and stopped at a watering hole and was regailed by a group of cafe racer bikes. As soon as I saw their mirror set ups I was sold on my next saftey improvement.

7/8" Bar End Mirrors. I had planned to get the extensions but wasn't ready for that commitment. Online I found a pair of bar ends for $18.00, free shipping.

It took 15 minutes to install, 5 to align and set. A little test ride around the block with my trusty 4mm allen for any final adjustments and the units are GREAT! It gets that blind spot I can't turn my helmeted head far enough to see.

Just my$0.02
    Buck1234
    We're also in the market . . . can you post pics?
    Cat
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I did something simalar. I use Oberan Bar End Mirrors and turn signals. Here is a link to the post.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hlight=Mirrors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been using bar end mirrors in combination with large convex mirrors for some time now and I find that they eliminate all blind spots. Also, they will work well regardless of which riser height you might prefer.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

When we were waiting for my Up & Outs we finally realized that is what is different from my husband's two wheeler & my Spyder - my mirrors are not on the handlebars. Makes a huge difference.

The Up & Outs are a major improvement - but, I can see where mirrors mounted on the bars themselves would be very helpful!

Spyder Garage

Default Low Tech Vintage mirrors

Pictures need my son and he's away.
    I saw another post on this thread and his bike has them .

Just go to ebay "motorcycle bar end mirrors" scroll down the page and just watch the prices. When you come to one for$17.94 free shipping your at the right place.

Now for the installation: Phillips screwdriver 6mm - 4mm metric allens needle nose vice grips or HD needle nose pliers

Remove the stock bar plugs - just loosen the screw and wiggle it out. Put the supplied sleeve on the stem of the mirror mount the 6mm allen will pulll the slug in to expand the sleeves. This is where the vice grip or needle nose is needed. The expansion plug will rotate the sleeves without holding it firmly on the sleeves with your tool.
    Holding the mirror in your hand. tighten the plug until it expands enough that it just goes in the bar end snugly. Holding on with the needle nose vice grip or needle nose pliers shove it in as far as you can while still holding it with your tool. The width of the tool will leave just enough of the sleeve to grab on to, to tighten and expand it. Now using the 6mm allen tighten it up, good and tight. Just remember it's plastic. When your satisfied its good and snug use a soft faced hammer or dowel and hammer and tap the mount the last 1/4" into the bar end. It's that simple.

You might want to fill the bars with split shot weights #4 or AAA size and get rid of that annoying vibration of your bars. You've got the bar ends of so why not?

Buck1234

Spyder Garage

I've actually been looking for a way to to that, even though I did order the up & outs. Thanks for the info. Did you find all of this on E-bay or somewhere else?
    Do you have any pictures of the final result?
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Default Bar End Mirrors

The mirrors are on Ebay. I sincerly hope you follow my advice about the fishing weights. The difference in hand and wrist fatigue is not to believe.

Safe Riding

Buck1234

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by buck1234 View Post
    The mirrors are on Ebay. I sincerly hope you follow my advice about the fishing weights. The difference in hand and wrist fatigue is not to believe.

Safe Riding

Buck1234