Thread: Me and my MiFi

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Me and my MiFi

I latched onto a nifty product from Verizon called the MiFi. Its a portable wifi modem that operates from cell towers at 3G speed. Many of us are on our summer run-abouts bringing a lap top, ipads, itouch's, etc. with us so we can blog to the rest of the world while staying at the cheapest motels and relying upon their "high-speed internet service". Much like Brian "Irish2theMax" Kelly did recently. Some of yall may even rough it out with a tent along the road. Sometimes voice communication with a cell phone are unachievable but data communication can work. There have been numerous saves in search and rescue op's because of a simple text message from a remote locale. The Mifi (Sprint also has a similar device) costs about $100 with a $50 mail in rebate. The two-year contract is $40 per month for 250 MB (light browsing) and $60 for 5 GB. I was hesitant at first but I went on a shopping spree one day last week after getting the bike out the dealer for servicing. Just so happens my DSL modem at home went on the blink while was out and I had to wait for a new one to come in. Guess what I used instead. And guess what I'm using now at lunch. Many motels charge for their wireless service. This thing can pay for itself on 1 vacation. Just wanted to share this info. BTW, it can "WiFi" 5 different devices at the same time.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Or if you have a iphone you can tether it for the price of the data plan on the iphone. I was able to do a video chat with my mom in San Diego while I was on my laptop in a parking lot in Daytona.

First you have to Jailbreak your phone, then you download MyWi app. Works great.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

NICE! Lamont on top of the latest tec suff. Jailbreak LOL . I love it!

Spyder Garage

If you have a HTC Verizon Droid you download PDAnet and you can tether your laptop for free.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    If you have a HTC Verizon Droid you download PDAnet and you can tether your laptop for free.
    How's it tethered? Data cable, bluetooth? I've been checking out the Droid but now Apple released the latest iPhone. Dang! Whats a gadget man to do?
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    The main difference between PDAnet and MyWi is MyWi doesn't require any setup on your laptop and PDAnet won't work on a ipad from what I've read. Both are "free" as far as no extra service contract is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    How's it tethered? Data cable, bluetooth? I've been checking out the Droid but now Apple released the latest iPhone. Dang! Whats a gadget man to do?
    MyWi on the iphone works just like what you have. It can be wireless, Bluetooth or USB. I use it wireless.

Looks like I'm a sucker for the new iphone too. The HD video at 30fps will be great and the pics with the camera are not bad either. It will be great on a trip because the pics and the video will be geotagged

http://dailyiphoneblog.com/2010/06/08/first-photos-taken-with-the-5mp-camera-on-the-iphone-4/iphone-4-camera-sample-04/

Spyder Garage

I've had the MyFi from Verizon for about a year and a half now... love the freedom it provides. Of course, they don't offer iPhones, so I can't go there, but the new one sure is pretty!

In a few months, however, I'm going to trade for the new HTC Driod which (supposedly) will give me the same 5 person mini WiFi hotspot capabilities without the additional line/fees required for the MyFi.
    '08 SE5 #123 - Red - F1 Slider - BRP Comfort Seat - Spyder City 3" Riser

Spyder Garage

I love my iphone and will also upgrade to the new one --- but I'll wait until my ATT contract is up so I can switch to Verizon. ATT coverage is horrible where I live.

Right now I use a Sprint card w/laptop at home for internet and it works really great - use the same Sprint card with my netbook while on the Spyder. Sprint signal is stronger in my area than ATT, otherwise I'd do the iphone tether instead and save some $$$.

I really hope Verizon picks up the iphone soon!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I love my iphone and will also upgrade to the new one --- but I'll wait until my ATT contract is up so I can switch to Verizon. ATT coverage is horrible where I live.

Right now I use a Sprint card w/laptop at home for internet and it works really great - use the same Sprint card with my netbook while on the Spyder. Sprint signal is stronger in my area than ATT, otherwise I'd do the iphone tether instead and save some $$$.

I really hope Verizon picks up the iphone soon!
    i read that apple offered verizon exclusive deal AGAIN but could not make the deal so ATT gets it again... if i remember correctly, big deal breaker was verizon not willing to deploy 4G as aggressively as apple requires them to. (something about near future iphone requiring 4g)

one good thing about owning an iphone is i can upgrade before my 2 years is up. att will give you discount if you have been with them 1 year and price will be close to what you would pay for iphone if you were a new customer and i can sell the iphone that i have now on ebay for 200-300 so i get my money back for what i spent on the NEW iphone.
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-08-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

I got to say I loved Verizon when I had it and they do have much better coverage but so far AT&T hasn't been that bad for me. I can go coast to coast with a good signal but there are a few dead areas. If the Droid was out when I bought my iphone I would have stuck with Verizon. I can't keep waiting for rumors to come true so I'll be a AT&T guy for another two years I guess.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Or if you have a iphone you can tether it for the price of the data plan on the iphone. I was able to do a video chat with my mom in San Diego while I was on my laptop in a parking lot in Daytona.

First you have to Jailbreak your phone, then you download MyWi app. Works great.

That would be cool to have the iPad mounted up front. A great media center and a big screen for maps. Unfortunately, it would have big glare too.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use my ATT broadband card all the time when I travel. I have even used it to work UK Basketball games while the wife drives in the car. I use it alot at pit stops to do things my BB can't. Work pays to keep me well connected to my customers so I dont see switching anytime soon. I used it all day while driving from customer sites sitting in the back seat. Only dropped a few times. I notice often, my voice on the BB coverage sucks but I am still connected via the broadband card. Once 4g is more available, I will look at upgrading.

Very Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I've got a program called Walking Hot Spot. Turns my Verizon Omnia II into a wifi hub for up to 5 devices. My netbook and iPod Touch work well with it. Acts just like a wifi port. It's faster to hook my iPod up to my phone and surf the net than it is to surf with the phone. My XM app works well with it too.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Spyder Garage

Default Me and my MiFi

I know both Brian and I are planning on pre ordering the new iPhone and picking them up the day before we leave for Chicago. Love our gadgets.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    I know both Brian and I are planning on pre ordering the new iPhone and picking them up the day before we leave for Chicago. Love our gadgets.
    Just like my ipad, I'll be on the road when my new iphone shows up.
    Maybe I can play with yours

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Just like my ipad, I'll be on the road when my new iphone shows up.
    Maybe I can play with yours
    That new iPhone sounds bad man! Good price too.

Whats an Verizon Omnia? A smartphone?
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Me and my MiFi

I have the Spring 4g router and it is great. We have 4g in my area but it also does 3g. My only issue is the battery life is under 2 hours with a full charge- a complaint I have heard about any of the mini stand alone routers.
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Spyder Garage

Whats an Verizon Omnia? A smartphone?
    Yep, Windows Mobile.
    http://phones.verizonwireless.com/sa...&rf=google.com
    Price has dropped from $199 in Dec to $50 now. Too bad motorcycles don't go out of style as fast!
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Spyder Garage

Cool thread!!! We have Sprint and "Crack" berries... We have unlimited data for $30 a month, and simply plug our laptop into the Black Berry to surf
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Cool thread!!! We have Sprint and "Crack" berries... We have unlimited data for $30 a month, and simply plug our laptop into the Black Berry to surf
    Unlimited? Thats a heck of a deal! 3G?
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Unlimited? Thats a heck of a deal! 3G?
    yep 3g...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.