Thread: mpg

Spyder Garage

Default mpg

Just skimmed the new Rider mag, there's a test of the Victory/Lehman CrossBow trike on page 74. Gas mileage in the 25 to 30 mpg range with a 6 gallon tank. Sound familiar? So why do the mags complain about the Spyder gas mileage?

john
    Last edited by retread; 06-08-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Just skimmed the new Rider mag, there's a test of the Victory/Lehman CrossBow trike on page 74. Gas mileage in the 25 to 30 mpg range with a 6 gallon tank. Sound familiar? So why do the mags complain about the Spyder gas mileage?

john

I don't think it's the mag. writers that are complaining so much as some Spyder Owens are.
    I for one don't care so much about MPG, I think the Spyders MPG is in the ballpark for a 3 wheel bike with an 998 cc engine.
    I just wish my tank held one more Usable gal., So i can go over 2 hundred miles on one tank.

Spyder Garage

You are right on with your comment.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I dont worry about the mileage so much. For me it is the fun per dollar ratio and on my spydr it very high so who cares about the miles per gallon?
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

While I accept what the spyder gets as okay I certainly wish it got more. A piaggio mp3 with a 500 cc motor gets 55 mpg. Its three wheeled and while not as a big in size both physhical and motor wise its an example of what CAN be done. Certainly there can be more of a happy medium. Perhaps a "detuned" spyder that got 40-45 mpg but I dont htink thats in th ecards for the spyder..way to many changes at this point for that to come true. We should just focus on what we can do to make the bike as best as it can be at this pint and thats what I think BRP is trying to do. To make what they have better then move from there if there ever is a "move".
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Spyder Garage

I understand what all of you are saying, and why. My point comes from an article in Rider a few months ago when they tested the RT-S, and complained about the mileage it got. I will be writing them.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Can you scan a copy of the article if they show a picture of this new 3 wheel motorcycle?

EDIT: Never mind, I found a pic by google'ing. For anyone else, here's the back...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I understand what all of you are saying, and why. My point comes from an article in Rider a few months ago when they tested the RT-S, and complained about the mileage it got. I will be writing them.

john
    I have found things like this happen quite often in the various magazines. I also agree with you, that is what the letter to the editor sections are for. Go set them straight.

That is a very interesting looking machine though.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by truck 85 View Post
    I dont worry about the mileage so much. For me it is the fun per dollar ratio and on my spydr it very high so who cares about the miles per gallon?
    i agree here. also--it is about right with 990 twin. i get 30-35 mpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default ewww

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    Can you scan a copy of the article if they show a picture of this new 3 wheel motorcycle?

EDIT: Never mind, I found a pic by google'ing. For anyone else, here's the back...

yuck.

Spyder Garage

I just finished reading the article in question and I am guessing when magazines like Rider test the bikes--they don't run them for economy. They punch em and drive em hard. They are going to get the low end of the spectrum when they run them like that. Today, spouse and I went for a 200+ mile ride and she got 37 mpg on her 2009 Semi automatic and I got 34 mpg on my RTS. This was all highway miles on slow scenic roads. We kept the speed at 60 or less. She has 13K on her machine and I have 6K on mine now.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I,m finding 35 on longer afternoon trips and about 32 if I,m zipping around the nearby backroads with lots of accelerating and turning in the 25-50 mph range~.
    All I know is I can spend about 2 1/2 hours on a nice afternoon and only put in $8 or $9 to get the tank to where I started!
    My Jet skies will cost me $32-$38 PLUS the cost of driving to the river?
    Its ALL relative.
    When I continue Flight lessons next spring it will cost $175 an HOUR!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

MPG was the last thing on my mind when I bought my Spyder, but I did expext to do better than the low 20's--must be that all the mountain riding takes it's toll.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson