Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Maybe I'm wrong here but this seems to be more of an issue with the SE5s. For what it's worth, I do not shut my engine off in any gear but nuetral now. This was a factory advisory, so my dealer says. All I can say is that I have not had the problem since that first time. Like I said, for what it's worth...
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

I told them I'm not picking it up this time. They were supposed to trailer it to me this week. It's now Friday night and I haven't heard from the driver. I am not surprised. At this point I don't expect it to run, I missed Chicago, and it's too damned hot anyway. I'm not in any hurry to be stranded for hours in this heat
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong here but this seems to be more of an issue with the SE5s. For what it's worth, I do not shut my engine off in any gear but nuetral now. This was a factory advisory, so my dealer says. All I can say is that I have not had the problem since that first time. Like I said, for what it's worth...

I shut it off in Neutral nearly every time.
    Happier Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Hopefully they will trailer it back to you soon.

I rode to an opthamology appointment in Aiken today. When I was leaving the ambient temp gauge showed 107. Running 65 mph for a while finally dropped it down to 100. Good news is the Spyder was only running at 4 bars on the temp gauge at 65 in that heat.

We still need to find time to get together for a ryde as well. I am going to Augusta for a poker run tomorrow morning, and am supposed to meet GI Joe there.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Here we go AGAIN.

I was on my way home from work and I wanted to take a run to the coast. Just before I got to the twisties (Hiway 84 through the mountains) I stopped in a gas station to top off my tank. Guess what I did? I SHUT IT OFF IN 1st GEAR! Guess what happened? THE THING WOULD NOT START!

I rolled it out of the way, and started going throught the whole cycling through the start process. On the 5th attempt, I got up on the foot pegs, Gave a good jump or two, cycled the kill swirch, turned the key, let it go through initialization, and BOOM! It started!

I shut it down to see if it would start again, and it did. But this time the check engine light came on and guess what the message said? CHECK DPS!!

At this point I am boiling mad, so I rode hard all the way through the twisties, all the way to the coast, up the coast and back home. About 60 miles in all, and it did just fine! The steering felt a bit harder than usual, but to tell you the truth, I did better with it like that! I had to kind of man-handle it and throw it around, and I enjoyed it!

SO I reckon I have to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I'm riding on though. I dont give a !

Spyder Garage

Here we go AGAIN.

I was on my way home from work and I wanted to take a run to the coast. Just before I got to the twisties (Hiway 84 through the mountains) I stopped in a gas station to top off my tank. Guess what I did? I SHUT IT OFF IN 1st GEAR! Guess what happened? THE THING WOULD NOT START!

I rolled it out of the way, and started going throught the whole cycling through the start process. On the 5th attempt, I got up on the foot pegs, Gave a good jump or two, cycled the kill swirch, turned the key, let it go through initialization, and BOOM! It started!

I shut it down to see if it would start again, and it did. But this time the check engine light came on and guess what the message said? CHECK DPS!!

At this point I am boiling mad, so I rode hard all the way through the twisties, all the way to the coast, up the coast and back home. About 60 miles in all, and it did just fine! The steering felt a bit harder than usual, but to tell you the truth, I did better with it like that! I had to kind of man-handle it and throw it around, and I enjoyed it!

SO I reckon I have to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I'm riding on though. I dont give a !
    First, check to see that the battery terminals are clean and tight, and that all the relays are well seated.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    First, check to see that the battery terminals are clean and tight, and that all the relays are well seated.
    You seem to have amazing insight into to the technical aspects of this machine. I will do that and hope it clears. I have to admit though, my confidence in this machine is somewhat shaken. First the no-start issue, then the defective clutch which is scheduled to be replaced June 30, and now this...

Oh well, I'm gonna keep riding. It hasn't dropped dead yet so ride on I will!

Spyder Garage

I had an issue after playing on the banks at Daytona Speedway where my Check DPS light stayed on even after clearing all of the other codes. For some reason the other codes cleared within 1 minute of having the Spyder turned off but the DPS did not. After the ryde around the track I shut it down and let it sit for about 3 minutes or so. Checked it again and the DPS warning was gone. It has not come back since then either. I also check to make sure my fuses are fully seated quite often.

Hopefully it was just a slight hiccup, and things will be back to normal for you.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Next time you check the battery terminals install a set of the the anti-corrosion pads on the terminals. They are available anywhere they sell batteries. I've used them for years and have never experienced a corroded terminal.

A little reminder... every component on the spyder is controlled by something using electricity from the battery. If you lighten the load on the battery some you will provide more power to the nanny, electric steering unit and many other components. You can lighten the load by using the LED pucks in the signals, 194 equivlents in the tips and you can get LEDs for the brake/running lights. Just changing the tips from the OEM bulbs to one watt LEDs saves 8 watts of power. Granted you will probably only reduce the light load by half but that means there is more power available to the important stuff. During the heat of the summer, I recorded 112 yesterday at 3pm in Loganville GA, these little batteries take a beating. An example of the power one watt has is "one watt of power under the right conditions can send a morse code signal around the world."

You can also lighten the load on the starter and battery by using the best engine lubricant you can get. The better the lube the easier the engine turns.
    Ken krb1945
    Last edited by krb1945; 06-26-2010 at 06:05 AM.
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I had an issue after playing on the banks at Daytona Speedway where my Check DPS light stayed on even after clearing all of the other codes. For some reason the other codes cleared within 1 minute of having the Spyder turned off but the DPS did not. After the ryde around the track I shut it down and let it sit for about 3 minutes or so. Checked it again and the DPS warning was gone. It has not come back since then either. I also check to make sure my fuses are fully seated quite often.

Hopefully it was just a slight hiccup, and things will be back to normal for you.
    When you were on the banks, your yaw sensor was tilted more than your other steering sensors said it should be. That tricked the Spyder into thinking your DPS or VSS was goofed up. It did what it was programmed to do. Back on the flat, shut off long enough to reset, and it breathed a sigh of relief.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

When you were on the banks, your yaw sensor was tilted more than your other steering sensors said it should be. That tricked the Spyder into thinking your DPS or VSS was goofed up. It did what it was programmed to do. Back on the flat, shut off long enough to reset, and it breathed a sigh of relief.
    As someone said earlier, you really do know a lot about these bikes! I'm impressed.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    As someone said earlier, you really do know a lot about these bikes! I'm impressed.
    I sure wish you could look at my Spyder Scotty!
    No one seems to be able to get mine to start.

I've had it.
    Happier Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Yes sir, according to Kurt from BRP my Spyder thought I was ryding on my side and didn't know how else to compensate for it.

Quote Originally Posted by musicarcade View Post

I've had it.
    That sucks Tom. I am truly sorry to hear this as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I've had it.
    I am no technician...just an old-fashioned dope of a mechanic. There has to be a logical reason for your starting problem, but it is difficult to determine, even for the best tech on earth, if the problem is intermittent. One question, does it make a difference which key you use? If it does (with the other key away from the bike, it could be a bad key chip. Beyond that, all you or your tech can do is start with the basics...battery connections clean and tight, battery fully charged and holds charge well, wiring connectors clean and tight, etc. From there you may have to branch off into computer modules. I hope you get it tracked down real soon. Things like this can make you nuts.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

UPDATE!! I did what Scotty said to do. I let her sit for a good long while (so she could think about what she had done!!) and then proceeded to pull relays, clean contacts, re-seat fuses and re-install the realys.

I then put all the acess covers back on, put the key in,turned her on and she went through the initialization, started right up and NO CHECK DPS ALARM!! I am on the road and feeling better about things.

Scotty, I thank you very much for the insight. This too will go on my "trouble shooters cheat sheet". I guess being a wanna be wrencher from another era precluded me from thinking about all these electronics and how sensitive they can be. Y'all should take note on this one! It could save the day for you. Lamont had a great point also about carrying a spare relay or two with you in the trunk. You see, that's the beauty of having a trunk!!

Spyder Garage

UPDATE!! I did what Scotty said to do. I let her sit for a good long while (so she could think about what she had done!!) and then proceeded to pull relays, clean contacts, re-seat fuses and re-install the realys.

I then put all the acess covers back on, put the key in,turned her on and she went through the initialization, started right up and NO CHECK DPS ALARM!! I am on the road and feeling better about things.

Scotty, I thank you very much for the insight. This too will go on my "trouble shooters cheat sheet". I guess being a wanna be wrencher from another era precluded me from thinking about all these electronics and how sensitive they can be. Y'all should take note on this one! It could save the day for you. Lamont had a great point also about carrying a spare relay or two with you in the trunk. You see, that's the beauty of having a trunk!!

Very glad to hear your issues seem to be resolved, and you are up and running again.

Tom, do you have any updates on your Spyder yet?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Default Heard about my Spyder today

can get it started, still cannot get it out of gear.
    dealer is sending diagnostic data for BRP tech to advise.

Day 29 without Spyder for this issue

91 days without Spyder for DPS steering issue earlier this year.

3 service depts. since December.

I am envious now of those that actually get to ryde.

Instead of getting questions about my Spyder from those curious about it, I get questions and dismay from friends and co-workers wondering why they don't take back my lemon.

It gets really REALLY OLD to go to work each day and have co-workers and others ask about your and to tell them it's still in the shop. Really makes you feel like a
    Happier Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default re spyder

Went to leave work Wednesday and my Spyder wouldn't start. Was fine on the 15 mile ride to work, but when I tried to leave, I would turn the key, watch the display do its sweep w/ the speedometer, and tach, hit the the ignition and all I would get is a click sound in the back like a solenoid switching, and the display would do its sweep again and the display would come on and tell me to depress M.

Any ideas what the problem might be? The battery seems to be charged, I have all my lights and turn signals working and the headlights seem bright.....
    ......Damm. This is worst than a Soap Opera...
    freebob.....

Spyder Garage

...Instead of getting questions about my Spyder from those curious about it, I get questions and dismay from friends and co-workers wondering why they don't take back my lemon.

It gets really REALLY OLD to go to work each day and have co-workers and others ask about your and to tell them it's still in the shop. Really makes you feel like a

I was in the same boat earlier this year. Thankfully my Spyder has been running good so far this summer.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

can get it started, still cannot get it out of gear.
    dealer is sending diagnostic data for BRP tech to advise.

Day 29 without Spyder for this issue

91 days without Spyder for DPS steering issue earlier this year.

3 service depts. since December.

I am envious now of those that actually get to ryde.

Instead of getting questions about my Spyder from those curious about it, I get questions and dismay from friends and co-workers wondering why they don't take back my lemon.

Gosh I hope they can get something going for you. This is really a saga of stupidity if you ask me. BRP should step up and aggressively work your case. I'll be thinking good things for you man...

Spyder Garage

I can't believe they still can't figure out how to get it out of gear. Hopefully they are really in contact with BRP and will be able to resolve it soon, and not just saying something in an attempt to pacify you a little while longer.

I met up with GI Joe in Augusta for a poker run this past Saturday. After the run we went to the Dairy Queen, where he told me he was still having trouble with his power steering. This has been an issue for him since November, and his dealer in Ohio says there is nothing wrong with it and all of their Spyders are like that. I did not even have to leave the parking lot with it, and it was obvious he has no power steering whatsoever. He got on mine and could tell the difference before he even moved forward. He is now leaving it with the Augusta dealer to get it sorted out, and I am hoping he will not be disappointed with their service.

I just don't understand how these dealerships can continue to operate like this, all the while giving BRP a bad reputation. I know this is not all dealers, but it sure does seem like we are hearing more and more stories about bad dealer experiences and Spyders being held hostage.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

It seems to me that BRP is relying a bit too heavily on their dealers and then not checking up on their performance to ensure a good customer experiernce. Spare and replacement parts availability has also been an issue.

Even worse, there does not seem to be any escalation process above the dealership in question. I think BRP needs to get more reps out in the field and put themselves in a better position to deal with cases like this. This is just WRONG.

Spyder Garage

Got my brand new 09 Spyder today 01Jul10 with 1.3 miles on it. Had it delivered by HaulBikes.com after it sat on their warehouse for over a month before I got it today. Driver/delivery person drove the bike from the unloading dock of truck to my driveway, tested and started the bike and it was all good. I signed the release papers, prepared to drive to garage and when I tried to start it..message says ABS Fault, VSS Fault and would not turn over. The horn sounds funky so i will try to charge/jump start it. I feel so frustrated..reminds me of the joke about those guys who blow themselves up for the promise of 21 virgins only to find 21 VIRGINIANS beating the crap out of them..all will be fine.. just keeping my fingers crossed.

kismaokole - M109R from the previous life.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kismaokole View Post
    Got my brand new 09 Spyder today 01Jul10 with 1.3 miles on it. Had it delivered by HaulBikes.com after it sat on their warehouse for over a month before I got it today. Driver/delivery person drove the bike from the unloading dock of truck to my driveway, tested and started the bike and it was all good. I signed the release papers, prepared to drive to garage and when I tried to start it..message says ABS Fault, VSS Fault and would not turn over. The horn sounds funky so i will try to charge/jump start it. I feel so frustrated..reminds me of the joke about those guys who blow themselves up for the promise of 21 virgins only to find 21 VIRGINIANS beating the crap out of them..all will be fine.. just keeping my fingers crossed.

kismaokole - M109R from the previous life.
    Low battery is certainly a possibility. Also, check the relays in the fusebox to see that they are all well seated. A loose relay will cause cascading failure codes, like that, and can also prevent starting.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Low battery is certainly a possibility. Also, check the relays in the fusebox to see that they are all well seated. A loose relay will cause cascading failure codes, like that, and can also prevent starting.
    Thanks. I think the Main Relay#2 is the culprit. The cluster lamp went blank and when I swapped the headlamp relay to it, the cluster lamp went back on. Must be the culprit for the ABS Fault VSS Fault too and the reason for not starting? Will get replacement relays and spares too. But day one and 1.3 miles on the Spyder sure makes me feel like I am the luckiest man in the world. Will find out after I get the replacements. Stay safe and happy.