Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Won't Start, won't turn over

Went to leave work Wednesday and my Spyder wouldn't start. Was fine on the 15 mile ride to work, but when I tried to leave, I would turn the key, watch the display do its sweep w/ the speedometer, and tach, hit the the ignition and all I would get is a click sound in the back like a solenoid switching, and the display would do its sweep again and the display would come on and tell me to depress M.

Any ideas what the problem might be? The battery seems to be charged, I have all my lights and turn signals working and the headlights seem bright.....
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a bad battery or bad connection to or from the battery. That's what I would check first.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont-
    It's being trailered in for service tomorrow- Hope I find out what it is soon so I can still plan on ryding to Chicago.
    Happier Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I hope they get it sorted out for you quickly so you can make the trip to Chicago.

My wife's Spyder did that one time, and it turned out the connector to the battery was loose. Hopefully it is something simple like that.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by musicarcade View Post
    Thanks Lamont-
    It's being trailered in for service tomorrow- Hope I find out what it is soon so I can still plan on ryding to Chicago.
    I agree with Lamont about being the battery'.
    Something you could try before you take it in, If you have a battery charger with boost [start] position or booster cable's see if that will start the engine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

Went to leave work Wednesday and my Spyder wouldn't start. Was fine on the 15 mile ride to work, but when I tried to leave, I would turn the key, watch the display do its sweep w/ the speedometer, and tach, hit the the ignition and all I would get is a click sound in the back like a solenoid switching, and the display would do its sweep again and the display would come on and tell me to depress M.

Any ideas what the problem might be? The battery seems to be charged, I have all my lights and turn signals working and the headlights seem bright.....
    Maybe your Spyder was having so much fun at work, and did not want to leave If the battery connector turns out to be loose, check for dirt that might block a good connection.

Spyder Garage

I feel your pain. Mine turns but won't start and I still haven't been able to find a solution.
    Good luck.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Sounds like a bad battery or bad connection to or from the battery. That's what I would check first.

Spyder Garage

Default Found the problem

Had the Spyder trailered from Beaufort to Summerville SC, as they are my new authorized Spyder service center. Chris from velocity powersports called me today and said the battery and starter were good, but they found some corroded connections that needed replacing and was done under warranty. I was a little surprised as my Spyder is nearly always garaged and I have had no electrical mods in the 10 months I've owned the. He also said the detected some exhaust leaks and ordered some gaskets to fix that issue (under warranty as well)
    I wasn't aware of the exhaust issue and it feels a bit more comforting knowing I now can take my somewhere and they seem to have a clue about servicing it
    Happier Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

You're very fortunate to have found a service center that is accomidating and knows what they're doing--I'm still searching.
    These things ain't easy to work on.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Had the Spyder trailered from Beaufort to Summerville SC, as they are my new authorized Spyder service center. Chris from velocity powersports called me today and said the battery and starter were good, but they found some corroded connections that needed replacing and was done under warranty. I was a little surprised as my Spyder is nearly always garaged and I have had no electrical mods in the 10 months I've owned the. He also said the detected some exhaust leaks and ordered some gaskets to fix that issue (under warranty as well)
    I wasn't aware of the exhaust issue and it feels a bit more comforting knowing I now can take my somewhere and they seem to have a clue about servicing it
    Thanks for the good report on Velocity Powersports. I am still searching for a dealer I can trust, and it sounds like they may be worth trying as well. Especially if they are covering exhaust gaskets under warranty.

I stopped in there once, but did not see any Spyders on the showroom floor and that worried me a little. Did they have any on display while you were there? Of course, it could also be a good thing meaning they are selling them as quickly as they are getting them in.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Default glad it is working out

. . . . . Chris from velocity powersports called me today and said the battery and starter were good, but they found some corroded connections that needed replacing and was done under warranty. . . . . .
    A good service department will make all the difference in the world!

One question, what/where were the corroded connections? I just saw this post this AM and was thinking that if the dash console was not seated or corroded, it might cause the kind of problem you were experiencing. Battery, fuses, dash - would have been my troubleshooting path.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a great dealer (North Jax Motor Sports) In Jacksonville Fl. They never cease to amaze me when it comes to repairing my Syders fast and completely the first time!
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    A good service department will make all the difference in the world!

One question, what/where were the corroded connections? I just saw this post this AM and was thinking that if the dash console was not seated or corroded, it might cause the kind of problem you were experiencing. Battery, fuses, dash - would have been my troubleshooting path.

Tom
    I'm curious about the corrosion location myself- I'll ask when I get the Spyder. I take a lot of care w/ my so I'd like to know if it was something I could have prevented or not... nI'll post when I find out...
    Spyderwolf - Apparntly they sell a lot of Spyders. when I was in the store all they had on display was a trailer....

Also- remember the guy that was killed on his 2010 white Spyder?
    Apparently he owned 3 Spyders and there was no findings of anything wrong w/ the spyder, but he apparently was not in a sober condition...
    Not many good things happen on the road at 3am
    Happier Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I'm curious about the corrosion location myself- I'll ask when I get the Spyder. I take a lot of care w/ my so I'd like to know if it was something I could have prevented or not... nI'll post when I find out...
    Spyderwolf - Apparntly they sell a lot of Spyders. when I was in the store all they had on display was a trailer....

Also- remember the guy that was killed on his 2010 white Spyder?
    Apparently he owned 3 Spyders and there was no findings of anything wrong w/ the spyder, but he apparently was not in a sober condition...
    Not many good things happen on the road at 3am
    Thanks for the update Tom. I was hoping that their was nothing wrong with his Spyder, while at the same time hoping he was not under the influence as well. That is truly a shame.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

It is unfortunate indeed.

Regarding the starting issue, mine had a similar problem. Mine would not turn over, no click, NADA! This was on the weekend I bought it, Memorial day weekend. The tech from the dealer actually came over and got it fixed.

Turns out I shut the engine down in gear. SE5's do not like this! When you do the computer get confused and goes into some kind of scramble mode reagarding gear position. I am not sure what he did but he got the computer to reset. When it finally started, it went into a limp mode. He shut it down again, restarted, and I haven't had the problem since. Of course, I have not shut down in gear since either!!
    Last edited by Raptor; 06-24-2010 at 12:25 AM.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    It is unfortunate indeed.

Regarding the starting issue, mine had a similar problem. Mine would not turn over, no click, NADA! This was on the weekend I bought it, Memorial day weekend. The tech from the dealer actually came over and got it fixed.

Turns out I shut the engine down in gear. SE5's do not like this! When you do the computer get confused and goes into some kind of scramble mode reagarding gear position. I am not sure what he did but he got the computer to reset. When it finally started, it went into a limp mode. He shut it down again, restarted, and I haven't had the problem since. Of course, I have not shut down in gear since either!!
    That is interesting as well. Normally if you shut down in gear you will be in 1st as the SE5 downshifted there automatically. To start it you just put your foot on the brake, and when it starts it shifts into neutral on its own. In this case it sounds like something else flaked out on yours as well. At least you had a tech that was able to fix it on the spot for you though, and that is a very good thing.

Tom, have you gotten an update on the status of your Spyder yet?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always just shut it off in whatever gear I end up. AS Spyderwolf said, that is normally first. Never had an issue.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Default Re won't start

Quote Originally Posted by pjp623 View Post
    I feel your pain. Mine turns but won't start and I still haven't been able to find a solution.
    Good luck.
    If Spyder turns and won't start, It has to be either ignition or fuel problem'
    Check to see first if your getting spark at plugs if spark ok it should be fuel problem....freebob...

Spyder Garage

Default Re Spyder

Well I was gald to hear your Spyder is back in service to bad you have to go so far to get it fixed,I'm sure like me you wish we had
    a dealer close by, Corrosion will cause voltage drop and send into sleep mode..lol....freebob...

Spyder Garage

Default puff of smoke

Sold my 2008..bought a 2010... the fellow that bought mine has a similar problem except when he pushes start button there's a loud click and everything shuts down...almost like a short in starter button...says he saw puff of smoke....still on warenty and in dealers right now...hopefully they'll get it fixed for him.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My 2008 SM5 did the exact same thing about a month ago, when I was trying to come home from work. I had to try it about 6 times before I got it started. It would do its sweep, then when I hit the ignition switch, it would click on the right hand side, then shut the display off. I would have to turn the key back to off then back on, where it would do the sweep, had to press M again, then hit the start only to have it click and shut off again. My dealer in Deland, FL found some corroded/bad connectors supposedly on the battery. I had about 13,000 miles at the time, and my is garaged as night, and is only out in the weather when I'm at work, or riding around. The problem has not reappeared so I'm cautiously optimistic that it is fixed.

Spyder Garage

This has been somewhat enlightening. I think that moving forward I will check/clean battery connectors every other oil change, perhaps every change during wet months. Better to be safe and take care of the things that you can control!

With those that had harness and/or connector issues, was there one in particular that caused the problem? I'm creating a cheat sheet for "things to check if..." I figure it sure couldn't hurt to leverage these pieces of wisdom!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Called the shop today (thursday) as it has been over a week since I went to pick up the only to have it do the same thing (not start) when I pulled over to put on rain gear. They got it started again in the shop and have run it, but aren't sure why it wouldn't start. before. They figure it's "done" as it wont "not start" on them.

I now have no confidence with this .

Not only did I lose out on the CHICAGO EVENT, I am concerned that my Spyder won't be able to make it to Gatlinburg this fall. as my now has spent 4 months in reapair shops and only two months in my garage this year.

..And I want to drive this to AZ in Sept 2011???

I tell ya, if this ryde leaves me stranded one more time this summer, I will be pulling the comfort seat, the Madstadt brackets and windshield, selling them on Ebay and demanding for BRP to take it back and pay the balance of my loan
    Happier Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Called the shop today (thursday) as it has been over a week since I went to pick up the only to have it do the same thing (not start) when I pulled over to put on rain gear. They got it started again in the shop and have run it, but aren't sure why it wouldn't start. before. They figure it's "done" as it wont "not start" on them.

I now have no confidence with this .

Not only did I lose out on the CHICAGO EVENT, I am concerned that my Spyder won't be able to make it to Gatlinburg this fall. as my now has spent 4 months in reapair shops and only two months in my garage this year.

..And I want to drive this to AZ in Sept 2011???

I tell ya, if this ryde leaves me stranded one more time this summer, I will be pulling the comfort seat, the Madstadt brackets and windshield, selling them on Ebay and demanding for BRP to take it back and pay the balance of my loan
    That truly sucks, and I can understand your frustration as well.

When are you going to pick it back up?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!