Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Windshield Advice Please!

Hello all. I am a newb rider so please bare with any stupid questions I may have.

I'm having a problem trying to find a "perfect fit" windshield to eliminate getting blown around over 50mph. I am 5'2" tall, average build. After perusing some information online, it seems that the general consensus is that I should make sure that the height is not above my line of sight (I guess I should have done my research first ).

I currently have the sport touring windshield which doesn't provide enough protection, so I decided to purchase a custom shield from blackwidowaccessories.com. It was suppose to be 21" tall, but they sent a 25" (obviously too tall for me). Long story short, the service and product is crap and now I have to sell it and try to make some of the money back if they refuse to issue a return/refund which is still pending.

I've checked into the Ultra Sport shield but from what I have found, they offer 23" and 25". Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should get and where to purchase? I recently saw a 2010 Spyder that had an adjustable windshield that was pretty cool.

At this point, I am frustrated because I can't enjoy my ride. The only thing that has made it a bit more comfortable is my new KewlMetal adjustable handlebar risers. Any advice is appreciated!

Spyder Garage

C.H.A.D. My wife lovers hers! I have a F1 tall adjustable and am very happy with it.

Spyder Garage

CHAD or Madstad. They are adjustable.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Excellent, thanks to both of you!

Spyder Garage

welcome They gave great advice.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

My husband and I both have Madstad and are very happy. I would do a search for both CHAD and Madstad and take a good look. welcome and good luck.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Take a look at Madstads Robobrackets + shield - that is what I have and it is fantastic. Adjustable height and angle are a big plus.

I don't care for the look of the CHAD, but many others do. But, you may find it too big for you - it is a LARGE shield.

The #1 thing is to find what works for you. I am not sure about that advice about the shield "has to be below eye level". Depending on some conditions - especially in Winter, I boost my Robobrackets as high as the shield will go.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what I've found, there appears to be a significant difference in size and shape between the CHAD and Madstad shields. For example, the CHAD is 25" and the Madstad is 20". I prefer the shape of the CHAD because it seems to be wider, but the Madstad size is appealing, the look is nice and simple AND there are many more position options. For a person of my height (5' 2"), which would you guys recommend?

And thank you for the warm welcome.
    Last edited by Questions; 05-16-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm 5'3" but very short waisted. So my upper body is more like that of a person even shorter than myself. I have the CHAD. Love it. I have it at the lowest most tilted back setting. So I can go up even higher in cold or nasty weather. I do most of my ryding looking over the shield.

Just my opinion. But I don't think you can go wrong with the CHAD.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

On my 3rd windshield now ! Save yourself some time and money and get an adjustable windshield first.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't realize I could just purchase the MadStad Robobracket and mounting plate set and use my existing sport touring windshield. That looks like the best option and better suited for my budget. Thanks again to all of you for the advice!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    On my 3rd windshield now ! Save yourself some time and money and get an adjustable windshield first.
    Same here, Im runing out of space to store windshields that don't work!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DviousDogzz View Post
    I didn't realize I could just purchase the MadStad Robobracket and mounting plate set and use my existing sport touring windshield. That looks like the best option and better suited for my budget. Thanks again to all of you for the advice!
    Yes, that does sound like a good option for you - duh, I should have mentioned that you can buy the brackets and BYS (Bolt-on Your Shield).

Whatever you decide, welcome and ride safe.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DviousDogzz View Post
    Yup you sure can. Make sure you use a proper drill bit for fiberglass to drill the holes in your windshield. I did that with one of mine but the overall look with the 20" Madstad shield is good for me.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Yup you sure can. Make sure you use a proper drill bit for fiberglass to drill the holes in your windshield. I did that with one of mine but the overall look with the 20" Madstad shield is good for me.
    Masking tape on both sides of the windshield before drilling and you can use a regular bit.
    Drill with only light pressure and it'll be OK
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Spyder Garage

I am 4'10" and have the C.H.A.D. It has worked great. It provides plenty of wind protection. Since it is adjustable, I can set it so I just look over the shield when I ride. I tried some another non adjustable shield first and it never worked as well. I am very happy with what I have now.
    Happy SM5 Owner
    Mods: Evoluzione PowerBus & air filter, sway bar, Kewl adjustable risers, highway pegs, back rack, Givi trunk & side bags, Crampbuster, Heatroller, Autocom intercom & 2 way radio, McCruise cruise control, No Magic Triple Play brake lights, fender tip & mud flap lights, Givi bag lights,
    mirror extensions, Russell Day-Long Saddle, C.H.A.D., Oxford heated grips.

Spyder Garage

I have a collection of windshields also. Finally got the CHAD and really like it.

Rounding the top corners helps with the looks, and in the warmer months I'll switch to my GIVI shield that I drilled to mount onto my CHAD (CHAD jr. ).

I've seen the Madstad and would go with that---- but ONLY if they change where the adjustment screws are. They really missed the mark on how you have to get at them.

Terrible placement as it makes adjusting it a pain compared to the CHAD.

Someone can probably post a pic showing what I'm talking about.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!