Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster-A legend among dealers!

As many of you know from my many posts, my RTS had the brake/stall issue. It only occurred one day basically and repeated itself one time the following day. It has been fine since Friday. I dropped it at the dealer this morning for a GPS, XM radio and 600 mile service to be done, and gave the service manager copies of the various posts regarding the stalling issue. The service manager said not to believe anything you read on the boards, it is all rumors, and no one has the correct information regarding issues with the RT and so forth. I then spoke to the owner/president and after skimming the various posts he told to service manager to contact BRP regarding the stalling matter.

Apparently after seeing the comments and probable fix from Lamonster he regarded the comments and information as more than just rumors and opinions. It looks like Lamonster is indeed a legend among Spyder dealers.

I told the service manager to do the software update and I would see if the problem (stalling) reoccurs and if it did I would bring it back for the fix. At this point it is virtually impossible to duplicate, and I suppose it is conceivable that the problem is/was something else.

I liked the RS but was not sure about my long term comfort on it. I love the RT. With al the storage it has turned out to be a great all purpose bike. It s comfortable, fun, full of gadgets (that I love), and practical. I can pick up quite a few groceries and everything else I need. It also inspires a lot of confidence and since I ride year-round should offer quite a bit of protection and some added security during the cold winter months (yes I know it is just spring time).

Spyder Garage

Smart dealers will scan this board and keep up with developing situations. If this board is nothing but hocus-pocus, then we wouldn't be all sitting here reading and referencing stuff. Knowledge is power.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

I had a similar problem with a Honda Dealer. My ST1100 had very simlar problem to those of others on the ST board. It also had a answer. When I asked the mechanic if he would check it or I would go to another dealer. I had bought two bikes here. His answer was those boards are wrong most of the time. The owner heard me and told the mechanic to do it. There would be no bill. The problem and the answer were right off the board.

Old Man Zues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

The problem with message boards is there is a lot of false information on them. I understand why this guy was reluctant to read something on the board to try and trouble shoot your problem. Some of the "experts" on these type of boards simply read everything on all the boards and then act like they have experience with these issues. My gift is if anything can go wrong it will happen to me and then I can share the problem and fix with others. I'm just real unlucky but I've always tried to turn my lemons into somebody else's lemonade.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Some of the "experts" on these type of boards simply read everything on all the boards and then act like they have experience with these issues. My gift is if anything can go wrong it will happen to me and then I can share the problem and fix with others. I'm just real unlucky but I've always tried to turn my lemons into somebody else's lemonade.

Google is a wonderful thing!

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The problem with message boards is there is a lot of false information on them. Some of the "experts" on these type of boards simply read everything on all the boards and then act like they have experience with these issues.

Spyder Garage

I have to agree that there is a lot of "garbage" on many of the forums. Opinions and rumors often are represented as facts. I like to think of SpyderLovers as the exception! It is understandable that dealers and technicians have the attitude that much of what is read on the Internet is unbelievable.....but it is not understandable why they completely close their minds, and refuse to look at the possibilities of such solutions, when they have no better ideas themselves. While it is hard to separate the peanuts from the shells sometimes, the elephant misses a good meal if he just ignores the pile and walks on by.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Now that is an expression I never heard !

While it is hard to separate the peanuts from the shells sometimes, the elephant misses a good meal if he just ignores the pile and walks on by.

Great words of wisdom. I think I will use it with my writing class (I teach at a local community college) with your permission.

I am going to pick up the RT tomorrow morning and agreed to see if the stalling re-occurs. I have a feeling it will be when not if, but perhaps I will be the exception and the software update corrects the problem.

Thanks all for the information and support.

Great board, and knowledgeable people.

Spyder Garage

I just met Lamonster at the Asheville Bikefest today. He is a really nice guy and it was an honor to met him. I can easily believe he is a legend.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    While it is hard to separate the peanuts from the shells sometimes, the elephant misses a good meal if he just ignores the pile and walks on by.

Great words of wisdom. I think I will use it with my writing class (I teach at a local community college) with your permission.

I am going to pick up the RT tomorrow morning and agreed to see if the stalling re-occurs. I have a feeling it will be when not if, but perhaps I will be the exception and the software update corrects the problem.

Thanks all for the information and support.

Great board, and knowledgeable people.
    Sometimes some strange things pop into my mind. I blame them on the old head injury, from when I crashed my BMW...LOL.

I hope your Spyder treats you right. Try to keep a positive outlook. If it is an SE, and it happens again, they should do the service bulletin replacement of the c-clutch bearings.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The dealer says there has been no service bulletin

I picked up my RT, now complete with GPS-Nice integration, and XM add-on. I was surprised (as was the sales manager) that the RT-S does not hav a communications interface built in.

The dealer says he has never seen a service bulletin regarding the clutch bearing change, however he said if the "stalling incident" happens again they will do further research.

This is a fine machine, especially with all of the gadgets!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    I picked up my RT, now complete with GPS-Nice integration, and XM add-on. I was surprised (as was the sales manager) that the RT-S does not hav a communications interface built in.

The dealer says he has never seen a service bulletin regarding the clutch bearing change, however he said if the "stalling incident" happens again they will do further research.

This is a fine machine, especially with all of the gadgets!
    and welcome. Wishing many miles of enjoyment on your new Spyder!
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]