Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Suggestion....

I currently ride with a Scorpion EXO helmet, and although it seems to be a very high quality built helmet, it's very loud when the visor is closed. This is a full face helmet. I was looking at the visor, and there seems to be quite a gap between the visor and the rubber seal. About 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch! I was riding tonight for a bit, and If I put my hand over the top of the visor, it got quieter.

I am curious what other brands/models of full face helmets other riders are using. This is just too noisy a helmet.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Mike
    Just remember: "It will feel better when it stops hurting!"

Spyder Garage

I use a Shoei-RF-1000. Great helmet However wind noise can be deafining even with a full face helmet. Wear ear protection. You'll be amazed what earplugs can do.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Shoei-RF-10...lmets-Closeout

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vendit View Post
    I currently ride with a Scorpion EXO helmet, and although it seems to be a very high quality built helmet, it's very loud when the visor is closed. This is a full face helmet. I was looking at the visor, and there seems to be quite a gap between the visor and the rubber seal. About 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch! I was riding tonight for a bit, and If I put my hand over the top of the visor, it got quieter.

I am curious what other brands/models of full face helmets other riders are using. This is just too noisy a helmet.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Mike
    Your visor should seal against the rubber all the way around. Make sure you have it installed correctly.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I checked to make sure visor was installed properly. I took it off, and installed again, but no change. There is still quite a gap. I love the helmet, but the wind noise is very annoying. If it's warm enough to ride with the visor open, it's not bad.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I checked to make sure visor was installed properly. I took it off, and installed again, but no change. There is still quite a gap. I love the helmet, but the wind noise is very annoying. If it's warm enough to ride with the visor open, it's not bad.
    That is very interesting. There is something not right there. Is that the original shield or have you changed it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    That is very interesting. There is something not right there. Is that the original shield or have you changed it?
    I am curious about this as well, as I was thinking of buying the Can-Am GSX-2 helmet and was told it is the same as the EXO.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Mike
    I have the EXO-1000 and yes-- it's louder with the outer shield down. I typically end up riding with it open and the inner sun shield down instead.

Ear plugs will make it less noticeable.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    I use a Shoei-RF-1000. Great helmet However wind noise can be deafining even with a full face helmet. Wear ear protection. You'll be amazed what earplugs can do.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Shoei-RF-10...lmets-Closeout
    Too bad I don't have a really big head. These are at a great price, but only available in X-Large, 2X-Large, or XX-Small. Do we have any members that are practicing head shrinkers?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I have a Scorpion EXO 700, and the shield seals completely and tightly. It has been on and off a few times, and always fits properly. I love the helmet, but it is one of the loudest I have ever owned, even if I use the optional chin curtain. I'm sure mine is the vents. Vented helmets may be cooler, and the helmets with spoilers may be more stable, but everything that disturbs the windstream, makes noise.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Mike
    http://www.compacc.com/p/Arai-Vector...lmets-Closeout

I have had 2 shoei's rf-900 and rf-1000 both where good but nothing is better than an Arai, they have several head sizes oval, oblong and other shapes of skulls, I nay sayed them until I used one.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

+1 on the Arai helmets. While the are expensive, if you try one on you may never take it off.

I also wear an Evoline in the 3/4 position. I have the starcom headset in it and no problem with wind noise.

Back to the Arai helmets. I have three boys that ride crotch rockets and spyder is the wifes. I consider them all precious cargo. I purchaced all Arai's for them and it was expensive-----but worth it. It is ATGAT or they don't ride. Just house rules for bikes.

Spyder Garage

Default Helmets were just rated in Rider

Top 2 helmets were Arai & Shoei. Don't think either will take u down the wrong path. Good luck.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Mike

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Make sure you're using the AirFit pump air inflation system for a custom fit. Cheek pad and neck roll adjustment system are improving fit and wind noise reduction. I love my Scorpion Exo 900.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

I have the stock shield. Bought the helmet new last year and rode about 3500 miles. I am thinking about trying to find a very thin rubber weather seal strip that I can adhere to the 1/4" wide lip that bends slightly on the very top of the shield on both the left and right side. The inside of the shield does not make contact with the rubber seal, except in the very center. It's almost like the shield is slightly too long, and it has more of an arch to it than it should in order to snap into place on each side.
    I wore ear plugs last year, but still had a very loud wind noise when the shield is down. It also doesn't seem to make any difference if any of the vents are open or closed. I am dissapointed in the fact that I was willing and looking for a very high quality and safe helmet at whatever cost, and then it's this noisy.

I sometimes will ride with the outer shield open, and the smoked shield down, however last night I was riding just before dark, and the smoked shield was too dark, but yet I had both some bugs and some rain drops hitting me in the face, so I had to put the outer shield down. I ride with a starcomm unit with tunes, and you have to turn the tunes up pretty loud to hear over the wind noise. If I duck my head way down below my calsci windshield, it quiets down as well. But of course this gets to be uncomfortable on the back.

Not sure what to do. Hate to spend more money on another helmet without knowing how it rides. I was hoping for some suggestions as to a brand, etc.....and then I can go get fitted from there.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also love my EXO 1000, but it is loud as some have commented. I have known about the Arai quality for a long time, but cannot justify paying that much.

Where's Motza?
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

My newest helmet is the Bell Star (2010), and it's great. Super light too.
    ------------------------------------------------
    HappySpyderOwner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by patdcop View Post
    +1 on the Arai helmets. While the are expensive, if you try one on you may never take it off.

I also wear an Evoline in the 3/4 position. I have the starcom headset in it and no problem with wind noise.

Back to the Arai helmets. I have three boys that ride crotch rockets and spyder is the wifes. I consider them all precious cargo. I purchaced all Arai's for them and it was expensive-----but worth it. It is ATGAT or they don't ride. Just house rules for bikes.
    I have an Arai and couldn't agree with you more. When I chose the Arai, expense had nothing to do with it.

In case Baja Ron reads this, I did get the thicker liner and cheek pads and now I have no complaints.

Spyder Garage

I have one of the Can Am helmets and it makes a lot of noise if the face shield is completely down and sealed. If i crack it up just a little,the noise reduces significantly. I had the same results with a Walmart helmet.

After $2000 worth of windshields and two helmets, I ride with ear protection. I hate it but I am not going to go deaf if I can help it. There is another thread going about ear plugs and I picked up some good advice there on improving my ear plugs.

I wish there were, but doubt that there is, one helmet-windshield combination that will suit everyone.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I have an Arai and couldn't agree with you more. When I chose the Arai, expense had nothing to do with it.

In case Baja Ron reads this, I did get the thicker liner and cheek pads and now I have no complaints.
    +1+1+1+1+1 on the Arai helmets. I recently went shopping and was quite surprised to find out that I was wearing an HJC that was 2 sizes too big! The guy at Moto Liberty took the time to measure my head and found that Arai makes several different shapes that correspond to different head shapes and he found the one for me. Additionally, my guy wound up swapping head liner and cheek pads until it was a perfect fit.

Bottom line is the Arai is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. It is quiet. The cooling vents actually work! Yes, it was over $500 but well worth it.
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=TonyMac;195050The guy at Moto Liberty took the time to measure my head [/QUOTE]

Moto Liberty is one of the very few places I've found that has employees with the skill, knowledge, and desire to really fit helmets to a customer's head. For Texas riders they have a store in San Antonio and another in the Dallas area. In my opinion, you simply can't buy a better helmet than Arai although I wear a Shoei which I also believe makes an excellent helmet and they seem to fit my head just that teeny bit better.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Not sure what to do. Hate to spend more money on another helmet without knowing how it rides. I was hoping for some suggestions as to a brand, etc.....and then I can go get fitted from there.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
    I would call Scorpion Support line at (888) 212-0688. There is something not right about your helmet and they are good people. They should be able to get you fixed up. It would be good to get that shield to seal correctly before you spend more money for another helmet.

Correct fitment is just about #1 for comfort but also for safety. A $75 Wal-Mart helmet that fits correctly will give you better protection than an Arai that does not fit correctly.

For the helmet to do it's job it has to be TIGHT. But people don't like tight so they purchase a helmet that is too large not realizing that they are throwing their money away. You simply do not have protection if your helmet is too large.

Spyder Garage

I also use the Shoei RF-1000, and love it. I am not terribly bothered with road noise, but I have an RTS with a windshield.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
    +1+1+1+1+1 on the Arai helmets. I recently went shopping and was quite surprised to find out that I was wearing an HJC that was 2 sizes too big! The guy at Moto Liberty took the time to measure my head and found that Arai makes several different shapes that correspond to different head shapes and he found the one for me. Additionally, my guy wound up swapping head liner and cheek pads until it was a perfect fit.

Bottom line is the Arai is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. It is quiet. The cooling vents actually work! Yes, it was over $500 but well worth it.
    Unfortunately, your story is VERY common. Arai does fitment research every so often and they come up with about the same numbers very time.

About 70% of non-professional riders are wearing a helmet that is at least 1 size too large and about 50% are wearing a helmet 2 sizes bigger than they should.

I've told this story many times but it is worth repeating. I worked in the fire service for many years in California. It amazed me how many times a motorcycle rider would lose their helmet in a crash. Sometimes it came off even before the helmet struck anything.

At first I assumed that they did not have the chin strap fastened. But when I started looking I found that chin straps were still in place but the helmet had come off anyway. The reason? Helmet was too big for that rider and some paid dearly for their ignorance.

I knew my head size said Medium but they were SO TIGHT I was wearing a large (for comfort). After seeing those helmets lying around at MC accidents I determined to wear a medium hemlet no matter what.

At first I thought it was torture. But soon I realized that my helmet was staying put on my head. It did not move around in wind buffetting like my Large did. Now that I have trained myself to wear the correct size helmet it does not feel tight at all (though, of course, it is).

I know most riders do not have the benefit of the motivational experiences I've had first hand. But if I can convince even one of you to get the correct size helmet and wear it no matter what, I will have done a good thing.

A helmet that is too big will also be a noisier helmet. A correctly fitted helmet, while tight, is a very comfortable (and quieter) experience.

Most people see a helmet on the shelf that looks cool and buy it. Instead, forget color and find a helmet that FITS properly FIRST. Then start looking for a color that will work for you in that model helmet.

It amazes me how people will put more thought, research and effort into what oil they use than in choosing a helmet.

Arai is an excellent helmet. They make 3 different head shapes (Round, Oval and Intermediate). I've had people tell me "Arai's don't fit my head". I ask them if they tried all 3 head shapes and the response is always "What?"

Typically people try one Arai thinking they all fit the same. Not true. If you can't find an Arai shape that fits you well I would be surprised.

As stated here Arai also has a huge array of liners and cheek pads to custom fit (after you've chosen the correct shell shape for your head).

And you don't need to spend $500 to get an Arai either.

There are a lot of great helmet brands out there. Scorpion makes a good helmet as does Shoei and many others. Also, just about any quality brand helmet will have otional interior padding components to customize fit on their helmets.

Hope this helps someone.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just bought an HJC SyMax II and I really like it. It has a nice even fit with no pressure points and I can put in an eight hour ride with no discomfort whatsoever. This is my first modular and I'm hooked. I like being able to pull up to a traffic light or ride through town on a hot day with the front open (even though they tell you not to, but still better than no helmet at all).
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Webbikeworld rated this helmet. The EXO-1000 was rated "acceptable" for the visor due to the exact visor gap issue mentioned above. It was also rated "acceptable" for noise levels. Finally, rated "poor" for airflow.

I'm sticking with the Arai.

Chris