Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Disappointment

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    Old enough to remember and driven a Ford Edsel- one time.
    And the push button auto trans, in the middle of the steering wheel

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ROTXMECH View Post
    HELLO SPYDER LOVERS I AM A TECHNICIAN TRAINED BY THE FACTORY TO SERVICE THESE VEHICLES AND A LOT OF THE COMPLAINTS THAT U ARE HAVING ARE ACTUALLY PRETTY COMMON ISSUES. SPARK PLUGS FOULING ARE VERY COMMON AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE THE SPARK PLUGS YOURSELF SO I DONT SEE WHY YOU WOULD CARRY NEW PLUGS. I CAN PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEE ALSO THAT WHEN U HAD YOUR PLUGS CHANGED THAT THEY ONLY DID 1 SIDE THAT IS PROBABLY WHY YOU CONTINUED TO EXPIERIENCE THE PROBLEM. EVERY SPYDER I HAVE EVER CHANGED THE SPARK PLUGS ON IMMEDIATELY RIDE BETTER AND DO NOT CONTINUE TO HAVE STARTING ISSUES. AS FAR AS YOUR STEERING IS CONCERNED THAT IS ALSO A COMMON PROBLEM IF YOU ARE EXPIERIENCING THE UNIT PULLING OR WANDERING BY ITSELF THEN U ARE PROBABLY NEEDING A NEW DPS UNIT. I HAVE REALLY GOTTEN A LOT OF MIXED REVIEWS ON THE SPYDERS AND WOULD REALLY LIKE TO GET A GOOD REVIEW OF THESE THINGS OUT THERE SO THAT EVERYONE CAN BE HAPPY AND WE CAN CONTINUE TO GROW.

Think about it befor giving this poster (poser?) any credibility. (?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Take a deep breath and then let it go. Scotty probably has more mechanical experience than you will ever dream of and if you read his post correctly, the plug fouled on the FIRST ride. That is unacceptable. And, he can probably change both plugs faster than you can change ONE. If a unit that sells for $26,000 needs ANYTHING done to it before 25,000 miles, then the factory people better get a grip on it and get off their stuffed chairs and get to work. And, btw, any reason for your CAPS? Are you trying to impress us with your knowledge by using the CAPS? I am blasting you because you have posted without cause or knowledge and demeaned one of my good friends.
    give um hell Dudley
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

(quote from lamonster) The Spyder ate a spark plug the very first day. It continues to do so. Hard starting, plug fouling, misfiring at highway speeds...and a response from the tech to "never start it unless you are going to ride it"
    I have no idea why you and others seem to be fouling plugs on the RT but it does have something to do with starting it and not riding it. This needs to be reported to BRP so they can look into this.

not to tell scotty anything about tech knowing he is a lot more informed than me... but i was told the same thing by my dealer when i bought my PE not to start it unless i was driving it or it could foul plugs...
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Before I would spend all that coin to "upgrade" to that fancy-pants wallowing elephant, I would far rather spend the money customising my GS with every concievable worthwhile aftermarket goody, plus a knock-out paint job. You would end up with a worthwhile ryde. I mean, inadequate brakes ? Orange peel? Wonky handling? Fouling plugs? Scotty, deal that sorry beast and build a real Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Scotty,
    We’re sorry to hear about your problems and hope that you can get them fixed quickly. I thought that we were the only ones who have had a paint problem. I was at the dealership when they uncrated what was supposed to be our RT… The paint on the fenders had what appeared to be brush and drip marks all over them and there were deep gouges in the top of the tail trunk. We refused to take delivery and the dealer ungrudgingly refunded our deposit. We are still waiting on the RS to come in and will be inspecting it very closely when it arrives, before we take delivery. As for an RT, we’re going to wait till the dealer gets some inventory in that we can go over with a fine tooth comb and ride before purchasing. Till then I guess we’ll just have to put up with the Gold Wing.
    Best regards,
    Cris B.
    Very happy Gold Wing owner!
    Happy HD Fat Boy owner!
    Very cautious future Spyder RT-S owner. (maybe)

Spyder Garage

Mechanicals is bad and I guess you don't notice those things till you ryde it but crating a brand new vehicle with brush strokes and paint daubs on it, or orange peel? That's insane. Wonder what credentials you need to be an Inspector there. Doesn't sound like you need much.

Spyder Garage

Scotty,
    How many times have you brought your spyder back to the dealer ?

You know I'm having a similar problem with the wiggly ride on the highway. I'm bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow to have the alignment done on Friday. This will be the second time I've brought it in for the wiggle, last time they adjusted spring preload and tire pressure. If they don't get it right this time (although I believe they will), I'll bring it back a third time. At that point, we're talking about lemon laws, which will give me legal leverage to get my money back.
    How about you ??
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Being my first Spyder.......I say again, Ignorance is bliss!
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Thanks for your comments and input, Fred.

Fred 9 posts

Scotty 5400 highly informative and quality posts

Enough said...

Fix it BRP!
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Scotty, it's very sad to hear you say these things. I remember the excitement and anticipation you had for your new RT. With you having one of the most calm, level, and fair demeanors on this board, I'm sure it wasn't easy for you to post this.

You have been a invaluable resource as an Spyder owner on this site. In your assesment of problems you have always been helpful without slamming BRP. I don't see you slamming them now, just giving another assesment that all can benefit from including BRP. I sure hope BRP and your dealer step up and make this right by you.

Sorry for your dissapointment.....

Spyder Garage

We'll see what the dealer comes up with, but they have ignored the paint, plugs, and gauge thus far, so I really don't expect miracles. I will spend what is necessary (reluctantly), and either cure it or park it. It is nobody's worry but my own. I still think a punch list of nearly 25 items on a luxury tourer is a bit much, however. I don't think it is wrong to be disappointed...or to say so.
    Can you go to another dealer. I sat on my first Spyder at your dealer, they are big and have an impressive showroom. But sounds like you deserve better service.
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

I'd like to set the record straight, a bit. First, My RTS has been to the dealer once for warranty work, but I am waiting until the 625 mile service to cover the current list of issues In a couple of days). The dealer did ignore the paint issues (twice), but they changed a plug and warned against starting without riding, which was appropriate for a Spyder with fouled plugs and zero miles on the odometer. They deserve a chance to respond to the continuing situation. The gauge light was quickly looked at, but not seen. Part of that may be my fault in not describing it adequately.

There are 22 remaining items on my punch list. This would be bad even for Detroit in the 80s. I will offer them the opportunity to address them, however. I took care of a couple of issues myself, which were related to improper dealer prep. I will inform them...for their education or amusement. I did not add small items like the innacurate ambient temp gauge to my list, BTW. I am trying to be fair, and accomodating. Other items, like adjusting the alignment, are performed at the factory, and the dealer is blameless in their regard. Condemning a dealer without giving him a chance is not appropriate, to me.

My Spyder has some serious handling and braking issues. I rode two identically prepared RT demos that had slightly "soft" handling, but no hint of these severe issues. I have to think that my RTS is either an extreme case, or has additional contributing factors that have yet to be discovered. I do not think that all RTS owners, or those contemplating an RTS purchase should condemn the RTS because of my experiences. While I have pointed out the need for a heavier sway bar since my first demo ride, I do not think all touring Spyders handle miserably, only that they could be improved. I would recommend that owners set the suspension pre-load higher if they are having problems. Beyond that, see your dealer. I also do not expect the RT to ever handle exactly like the RS, but the ride should be as effortless and safe feeling. Extreme concentration on your riding, cannot be maintained every second of a long ride. You just wear yourself out. If you are in this fix, like me, give the dealer a chance to set it right.

I hope this has clarified my stance a little. I remain disappointed...but hopeful. If all else fails I'll try to trade my PE for their demo.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default another view...

I would like to add...
    One of the reasons that Microsoft almost (and may have) lost their edge in software technology was the attitude of "let the buyer fix it." As users, we got tired of all the patches, promises, etc.
    BRP should take note of this.
    I understand; we would like to "personalize" and improve our bikes by adding accessories or upgrading. But what I find unacceptable is to expect users to buy a new bike, and immediately replace the shocks, adding sway bars, etc. The bike should stand alone as a well built and usable product. And after a couple of years, replace worn parts with upgrades. At what point did we find it acceptable to spend a lot of $$ on something that poorly built? When is was the last time you purchased a new chair with 6 inch legs, a new car without the correct rims and bald tires, a new TV without an electrical cord?
    For those of you who jump on the "upgrade" bandwagon, remember that you are enabling BRP not to address these issues...
    For people like me, I stand up and fight the good fight... to make the bike a better product for everyone...
    Fixing it yourself is not forcing BRP to fix these issues. The Spyder should be for everyone...not just those who are mechanically minded enough to switch out $1,000 parts every few weeks.
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

HDXBONES

Quote Originally Posted by csmead View Post
    For those of you who jump on the "upgrade" bandwagon, remember that you are enabling BRP not to address these issues...
    For people like me, I stand up and fight the good fight... to make the bike a better product for everyone...
    Fixing it yourself is not forcing BRP to fix these issues. The Spyder should be for everyone...not just those who are mechanically minded enough to switch out $1,000 parts every few weeks.

I meant to say, I couldn't agree more

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Scotty, I'm really sorry to hear that you're having so many problems with the RT. You are one we know doesn't panic and jump off the deep end without having explored every possibility and made sure that the problems are real. I hate to say it but I guess I hope that many of these problems are unique to your RT rather than being common to all of them. At the same time, I really, really hope that the dealer and/or BRP will make the effort that it takes to fix yours or even to replace it. I feel sure that the handling problem is going to be common to them all so I guess I can plan on new shocks and a swaybar when they are available. Wind conditions in west Texas can be terrible and it takes a pretty stable bike to ride in the wind with any confidence. Best of luck and let's hope that BRP steps up to the plate with fixes for everything.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post

I meant to say, I couldn't agree more
    DITTO ! I fall into the category of mechanically inept!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Just wondering' Why didn't the few that have free rides mention how bad the handling is, and not just sugar coat it?
    [i guess the free part answers that]
    How many company's can sell 25thou.$ cars and you have to add your own suspension parts to make it handle right and stay in business?

I think Scotty's problems with handling are only with his RTS and not common among all RTS's. I rode one on a demo ride back in November and I had no worries about the handling and I equated the ride feel to the difference between driving a sports car (my GS Spyder) and a luxury sedan (the RTS).
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I think Scotty's problems with handling are only with his RTS and not common among all RTS's. I rode one on a demo ride back in November and I had no worries about the handling and I equated the ride feel to the difference between driving a sports car (my GS Spyder) and a luxury sedan (the RTS).
    Good analogy. Makes perfect sense!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Before I would spend all that coin to "upgrade" to that fancy-pants wallowing elephant, I would far rather spend the money customising my GS with every concievable worthwhile aftermarket goody, plus a knock-out paint job.

Sorry, but I don't consider my RTS a "fancy pants" machine. Many, if not all of us, bought the RTS for a nice comfortable ride and one which we could carry a passenger comfortably as well as safely.

I for one have experienced some of the riding problems expressed on this thread. However, I took measures to learn to deal with them. It was suggested to me that I read the owner's manual reference operating instructions when I asked a question concerning what measures were taken when ryders experienced the steering problem that has so many times appeared in threads.

What I did instead was "learn my spyder" and it's limitations. For the past three months we've had very inclement weather. Besides the cold and yes it got cold in Flarda, we had torrential rains and wind that had gusts as high as 65 to 70 mph. I took my spyder out in all this mess so that I could learn its limitations. I purposely rode in all this to learn just what it would do. I also chose to ride the interstate several times going to Daytona at peak hours knowing that I would have a barrage of "semi's" going by me. Admittedly it buffeted me around, but again this was a learning curve for me, and after all, we are riding a machine that is almost 63 inches wide in the front.

I am directing my comments to those who are questioning their decision to purchase the RTS. I for one am very happy with my RTS, and I have no doubts at all that I made a good decision. Admittedly I have not been on any long distance tour, but instead mainly putt putting around AND 100 mile trips. Additionally, I'm no professional or experienced ryder.

Spyder Garage

I would like to add...
    One of the reasons that Microsoft almost (and may have) lost their edge in software technology was the attitude of "let the buyer fix it." As users, we got tired of all the patches, promises, etc.
    I understand; we would like to "personalize" and improve our bikes by adding accessories or upgrading. But what I find unacceptable is to expect users to buy a new bike, and immediately replace the shocks, adding sway bars, etc. The bike should stand alone as a well built and usable product. And after a couple of years, replace worn parts with upgrades. At what point did we find it acceptable to spend a lot of $$ on something that poorly built? When is was the last time you purchased a new chair with 6 inch legs, a new car without the correct rims and bald tires, a new TV without an electrical cord?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default You are a class act Scotty!

I'd like to set the record straight, a bit. First, My RTS has been to the dealer once for warranty work, but I am waiting until the 625 mile service to cover the current list of issues In a couple of days). The dealer did ignore the paint issues (twice), but they changed a plug and warned against starting without riding, which was appropriate for a Spyder with fouled plugs and zero miles on the odometer. They deserve a chance to respond to the continuing situation. The gauge light was quickly looked at, but not seen. Part of that may be my fault in not describing it adequately.

There are 22 remaining items on my punch list. This would be bad even for Detroit in the 80s. I will offer them the opportunity to address them, however. I took care of a couple of issues myself, which were related to improper dealer prep. I will inform them...for their education or amusement. I did not add small items like the innacurate ambient temp gauge to my list, BTW. I am trying to be fair, and accomodating. Other items, like adjusting the alignment, are performed at the factory, and the dealer is blameless in their regard. Condemning a dealer without giving him a chance is not appropriate, to me.

My Spyder has some serious handling and braking issues. I rode two identically prepared RT demos that had slightly "soft" handling, but no hint of these severe issues. I have to think that my RTS is either an extreme case, or has additional contributing factors that have yet to be discovered. I do not think that all RTS owners, or those contemplating an RTS purchase should condemn the RTS because of my experiences. While I have pointed out the need for a heavier sway bar since my first demo ride, I do not think all touring Spyders handle miserably, only that they could be improved. I would recommend that owners set the suspension pre-load higher if they are having problems. Beyond that, see your dealer. I also do not expect the RT to ever handle exactly like the RS, but the ride should be as effortless and safe feeling. Extreme concentration on your riding, cannot be maintained every second of a long ride. You just wear yourself out. If you are in this fix, like me, give the dealer a chance to set it right.

I hope this has clarified my stance a little. I remain disappointed...but hopeful. If all else fails I'll try to trade my PE for their demo.
    Scotty,
    You are a class act. Stay the course and stay true to your ethics. Looks like you have strong following here and if BRP is listening they should respect that.
    As you know I picked up my RTS on Saturday, drove it 18 miles and ran to an issue "limp home" was the direction given by my new toy. On Monday my dealer picked up the RTS and they are working on the problem. I too plan to give them the opportunity to support me. I have faith that they will.

Lucky Baldwin

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Right on Sister!

I would like to add...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would like to add...
    WOW. I couldn't have said the above any better. amen

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Before I would spend all that coin to "upgrade" to that fancy-pants wallowing elephant, I would far rather spend the money customising my GS with every concievable worthwhile aftermarket goody, plus a knock-out paint job.

Sorry, but I don't consider my RTS a "fancy pants" machine. Many, if not all of us, bought the RTS for a nice comfortable ride and one which we could carry a passenger comfortably as well as safely.

I for one have experienced some of the riding problems expressed on this thread. However, I took measures to learn to deal with them. It was suggested to me that I read the owner's manual reference operating instructions when I asked a question concerning what measures were taken when ryders experienced the steering problem that has so many times appeared in threads.

What I did instead was "learn my spyder" and it's limitations. For the past three months we've had very inclement weather. Besides the cold and yes it got cold in Flarda, we had torrential rains and wind that had gusts as high as 65 to 70 mph. I took my spyder out in all this mess so that I could learn its limitations. I purposely rode in all this to learn just what it would do. I also chose to ride the interstate several times going to Daytona at peak hours knowing that I would have a barrage of "semi's" going by me. Admittedly it buffeted me around, but again this was a learning curve for me, and after all, we are riding a machine that is almost 63 inches wide in the front.

I am directing my comments to those who are questioning their decision to purchase the RTS. I for one am very happy with my RTS, and I have no doubts at all that I made a good decision. Admittedly I have not been on any long distance tour, but instead mainly putt putting around AND 100 mile trips. Additionally, I'm no professional or experienced ryder.
    I'm glad your approach worked for you. I never recommend that anyone "push the envelope" and drive anywhere near their limits. I also always recommend that owners know their machines well. In this case however, the safe limits of the machine are at about the 50 mph point. As someone who has ridden and driven at many times that speed, I think I am well qualified to judge. If you think that I will be satisfied with a $25,000 machine that is no more capable than a $5,000 scooter, you are mistaken. A person in your profession should appreciate that. If putt-putting around on a machine that was sold as a touring motorcycle satisfies you, great, but it does not, and will not, ever satisfy me. I bought this machine to eat up the miles...a job it was advertised to fulfill. If it is incapable of that task, I have a right to be displeased.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!