Spyder Garage

Default Slight detour on my ride across America

I guess it just wasn't in the cards to make this ride with Fred. Before I left TN I had a problem with the clutch not pulling in a couple of times when I went to stop (SE). I found that if I gave it a little rev before coming to a stop it would be fine. It only did it a couple of times before the trip. I rode it all the way to Daytona with no issues. That week it did it a few more times and I had trouble going from first to neutral. I decided to have BRP ship me a new Centrifugal Clutch but I wasn't sure where. The plan was to meet in Tallahassee and leave from there. Looking at the weather channel I wasn't sure where we would land and I would have to plan on a place close to a dealer that could take me in right away. I guess it's about a two hour job so that wasn't a big deal but there were too many unknowns for my liking.

The other thing that tipped the scale is my partners wife loss her battle with cancer Saturday evening and the service will be this weekend in NC. I need to be there for that.

So now my plans are to kick the trip back up next week by myself unless I can talk BajaRon into making the run with me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I guess it just wasn't in the cards to make this ride with Fred. Before I left TN I had a problem with the clutch not pulling in a couple of times when I went to stop (SE). I found that if I gave it a little rev before coming to a stop it would be fine. It only did it a couple of times before the trip. I rode it all the way to Daytona with no issues. That week it did it a few more times and I had trouble going from first to neutral. I decided to have BRP ship me a new Centrifugal Clutch but I wasn't sure where. The plan was to meet in Tallahassee and leave from there. Looking at the weather channel I wasn't sure where we would land and I would have to plan on a place close to a dealer that could take me in right away. I guess it's about a two hour job so that wasn't a big deal but there were too many unknowns for my liking.

The other thing that tipped the scale is my partners wife loss her battle with cancer Saturday evening and the service will be this weekend in NC. I need to be there for that.

So now my plans are to kick the trip back up next week by myself unless I can talk BajaRon into making the run with me.
    Lamont, so sorry to hear of the unscheduled changes in your plans. I know you were looking forward to that trip. But you have to be safe when you make the ride and that is very important. Also, being there for a friend at a time when his wife has gone home is very important as you well know. I know how much you are looking forward to spending time with your own mother out in California and God will be watching over you and keeping you safe as you make this trip. I hope that Ron is able to ride with you as sometimes it is just easier when you have a friend around. You are in my prayers my friend.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with the clutch.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have to be in Irvine CA 3.16-3.19.2010, so we can ryde together.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Sorry about your friend's loss. It's a good thing that you're flexible and able to be with him. God bless you.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I guess it just wasn't in the cards to make this ride with Fred.
    Lamont, sorry to hear about your friends loss, Rydes come and go, but being there for a friend means sooo much more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    I have to be in Irvine CA 3.16-3.19.2010, so we can ryde together.
    I think I'll be riding too slow for you my friend. I don't do much over 70mph on the RT. I think you would go nuts.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think I'll be riding too slow for you my friend. I don't do much over 70mph on the RT. I think you would go nuts.
    Doc can tow you behind his Spyder...

Spyder Garage

Default My condolences

Tough times but your dedication to the friend and partner will pay off more personally and professionally than starting the ride sooner.

Lonnie
    "May all your tomorrows, and miles, be better than all your yesterdays." LH

Registered Users Ken5517 / Wish Again's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The other thing that tipped the scale is my partners wife loss her battle with cancer Saturday evening and the service will be this weekend in NC. I need to be there for that. .

I have a friend that is having a similar problem with the down shifting on his new RT - SE, the dealer has replaced a senser that appeared bad and now he will be returning to the dealer today since it is still hanging up.

If he down shifts - no problem
    if he lets the bike do it - this is where he has the issue.

so you think it is the Centrifugal Clutch - at least on yours - Why?

Please keep in mind that I am not a mech.

UPDATE

The BRP is sending a Centrifugal Clutch to the dealer for this repair.
    Last edited by Ken5517 / Wish Again; 03-09-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear of your loss. Rydes come and go, It is much more important to attend the service, that only comes once.

I hope you get your clutch fixed soon.

Have a safe trip.
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

Very sorry to hear of your friend's loss. Hopefully you'll get the RT issues straightened out and have a good trip to the coast when you are not needed by your friend's side.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Perspective.. It s great that u can be there for him at this time of need ..
    The West Coast ain t moving ...Yet
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your friends loss as well Lamont. While we were in Daytona, a good friend of my wife's lost her battle with cancer as well. Unfortunately I do not think there is a family anywhere that has not been touched by this disease in some way or another.

I wish you safe ryding no matter when you depart and what direction you head in.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

My thoughts and prayers are with your friend. I lost my wife in 2005 and I know exactly what he's going through.
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Very sorry for the loss of your friend's wife It is nice that you can make it their to comfort your friend and his family.

Spyder Garage

Default Lamont's a Witch

I am in Biloxi, MIssissippi, facing severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, flash flooding, etc.
    Obviously, Lamont somehow knew this was coming. I don't believe that crap about the clutch.
    The Lamonster left me out in the cold, all alone.
    I will get my revenge!

Fred

ps:
    I will be at Wild West Honda in Houston this coming Saturday morning, if anyone is in the area and would like to hook up.
    Freditor

Registered Users The_Spyderwoman's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, friend.

Take your time, take your clutch, but be very careful if you take your Docdoru!! I was thinking he drove a little quicker than some 's!
    The Happy Spyderlover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freditor View Post
    I am in Biloxi, MIssissippi, facing severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, flash flooding, etc.
    Obviously, Lamont somehow knew this was coming. I don't believe that crap about the clutch.
    The Lamonster left me out in the cold, all alone.
    I will get my revenge!

Fred

ps:
    I will be at Wild West Honda in Houston this coming Saturday morning, if anyone is in the area and would like to hook up.
    Freditor
    At least you have trailer lights now.

The weather looked pretty bad like I said and being with my partner this weekend was important to me.
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241602

Spyder Garage

Understand about being there. Our best to Hal and his extended family. Know that Pat is well-loved and at peace; it is those here who know loss. Blessings to you as you ryde to comfort.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black