Thread: need help

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default need help

have a 2009 ford ranger, factory tow hitch rated at 3500 lbs with a tongue weight of 350lbs , owners manual say's this vehicle is capable of hauling 6900 lbs, was looking at some different trailering options but am beyond understanding the wide difference in numbers. Any body out there have any ideas ???????????????

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you have a class 2 hitch. You probably need a class 3 or 4 hitch to bring it up to 6900? You'd probably also need equalizer bars at the max capacity.
    Last edited by spyryder; 02-28-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default need help

actually it is classified as a class 3 hitch, the numbers still do not add up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default info

what is your ride ?? ( spyder wise )

Spyder Garage

There seems to be some confusion here, since the Ford brochure shows the maximum towing capacity for any 2009 Ford Ranger to be 6,000 pounds, with many of them less. Be sure you are looking at the correct, actual rating for your model, engine, and year. The specs also show a Class III hitch as standard on all Rangers, which would be a 5,000 pound rating. Your numbers indicate a Class II hitch. Could that be the rating for the step bumper?

Anyway, the lowest rating of hitch or truck is the absolute maximum amount you can tow. From a practical standpoint, I don't recommend exceeding roughly half the vehicle towing capacity with a half-ton pickup or smaller. More is very hard on the engine and transmission, and you chance getting a situation where the tail wags the dog, if the trailer outweighs the vehicle itself. I was involved in a very spectacular crash because of that, once. When the traile lands on the cab of the truck, it gets your attention!

I tow an enclosed trailer rated at 3,500 pounds with my F-150 Supercab. Light trailers are available. Mine weighs 1,200 pounds empty. Try to keep the weight as low as possible. Also, be aware that trailer brake requirements vary from state to state. Some states require trailers as low as 1,000 pounds gross weight to be equipped with trailer brakes. Many small (3,500 lb & under) trailers do not have brakes as standard equipment. I had to add them to mine to tow in Ohio, which has a 2,000 pound limit.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default need help

thanks scotty, am actually going back to the toy hauler idea. this is where the confusion started again, if any other ideas /suggestions out there , please share and thank you....PS, still own the 35 ft motorhome, but cost prohibitive to travel across country with the spyder.

Spyder Garage

What type of "hitch is already on it?

Reason I ask... I have a Dodge Dakota with a V6. I do not have a factory or after market receiver on it. My bumper and ball are rated 2200 pounds for towing. To get to the full 5000 or 6000 pounds my Dakota is rated for, I'd need to add the frame mounted receiver.

Do you just have a bumper and ball or something else?
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We've got a 7 X 16' Aluma brand tandem trailer that' all aluminum and weighs 1700# empty. With the Spyder and an Ultra Classic H-D, the total weight is ~3300#. It rolls quite easy. It does have a V-front and I can attest from pulling an 8 X 18' Pace steel trailer, the flat front killed any kind of decent towing at speed or in the presence of a side/head wind. And that was pulling it with an E-150 van.

Like I assume did the Prof, I looked up the data on web and the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) only jumped above 6000# with the 4.0 liter engine, long wheel base, and a preference for a higher rear end ratio.

If it were mine, I would find a 7 X 10 or 12' with a v-front aluminum trailer, with a 5' or no more than 6' inside height. A 6' width will work but not allow you to move around the Spyder for tie down and loading. It'll pull nicely behind the Ranger and be no more than 2000# gross weight with the Spyder and some gear.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default need help

hey wackydan, it is actually a factory installed tow hauling package, frame mounted hitch/receiver ( 2 inch ), talked with the ford folk again today and still not convinced or sure of the numbers. P.S. are you developing the mower deck for adapting to the SPYDER or something else ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default need help

pauly1 . the units you refer too, are they a combo/ living unit ?? have done some looking on the interweeb and have not come across anything like this. strangest thing I have seen is called the fleetwood s1 scorpion, toy hauler, it has it's merits but not really good for pulling off the highway and having lunch or anything else.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post

Reason I ask... I have a Dodge Dakota with a V6. I do not have a factory or after market receiver on it. My bumper and ball are rated 2200 pounds for towing. To get to the full 5000 or 6000 pounds my Dakota is rated for, I'd need to add the frame mounted receiver.

I agree with that..I used to have a ranger and the towing is low because the ball is built into the bumper...you need to add a towing bar to increase it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default need help

factory mounted tow package with a 2" receiver, not bumper ball. v6 , 4 litre engine and 3.73 rear end ratio.... aux cooler for oil and trans.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    have a 2009 ford ranger, factory tow hitch rated at 3500 lbs with a tongue weight of 350lbs , owners manual say's this vehicle is capable of hauling 6900 lbs, was looking at some different trailering options but am beyond understanding the wide difference in numbers. Any body out there have any ideas ???????????????
    From some of the other posts, I'd have to ask..is that 6900lbs GVW instead of towing capability? That would make the Ranger app. 3400 lbs with a 3500 lb towing capabilty. I have no idea what a newer Ranger weighs but 3400 sounds like it would be close.

Spyder Garage

Did some more research. With a 4L engine, the maximum towing capacity for any Ranger is 6,000 pounds. Yours could be less, depending on the transmission, 2WD or 4WD, regular or SuperCab, etc. See the 2009 Owners Manual for specifics. As to actually towing this kind of weight, I highly recommend against it. Big trailers push around smaller trucks, and you can lose control in an instant if the trailer starts to sway, you are going downhill, or you have to swerve due to an accident or blowout.

Also, towing this much would require installation of a heavier duty hitch. Your truck does have a Class II hitch with a rating of 3,500 pounds, as shown in the Ford 2009 Towing Guide. You would have to upgrade the hitch, if that is possible, to tow the rated capacity. I doubt that even a Class III hitch would have a capacity more than 5,000 pounds. At some point you will reach the limitations of your chassis, and will not gain capacity no matter what hitch you bolt on.

Short answer is that a toybox is not meant to be towed with a compact pickup truck. Even a half-ton pickup is a stretch for all but the super-light toyhaulers, and those will have trouble in mountainous terrain. For anything really liveable, a 3/4 ton or 1-ton PU is a necessity.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post

I also have a Dakota. Mine is a quad cab with the normal V-8. I talked to a dealer at a RV show and he told me, part of it depends on what the axle ratio is. I would suggest going bye a RV dealer and asking.

Old Man Zues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner