Thread: BRP R35 Bags

Spyder Garage

Default BRP R35 Bags

I've been thinking about getting these bags, although expensive they do look pretty cool, but are they practical? In other words do they handle a lot of extra stuff like the bags on a BMW K1200? Any insight would be appreciated. The dealer quoted me a cost of $1,067 installed. Thanks
    Happy owner, so far

Spyder Garage

We like ours. The removable bag feature is handy, and the removable rack feature is a plus when you want the sporty look back again. They hold 35 liters each, comperable to the BMW K1200LT, less than the 40 liters each for the Goldwing, and more than either the BMW RT or my Spyder RT. A little shallow, so large helmets may not fit. We are also very satisfied with the relocation of the turn signals, with sturdily built brackets that move them back to clear the bags, and up even with the taillights for better visibility. The relocation brackets do make removal of the rear panels a pain, though.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmykjimmy View Post
    I've been thinking about getting these bags, although expensive they do look pretty cool, but are they practical? In other words do they handle a lot of extra stuff like the bags on a BMW K1200? Any insight would be appreciated. The dealer quoted me a cost of $1,067 installed. Thanks
    I can't compare to the BMW bags--- sure Scotty can-- but I REALLY like these bags. They don't hold as much as the Corbin setup--- but are much cheaper and easily snap off to carry into the hotel. I know on my trip to TN last year I fit a ton of stuff in them. One side had my CPAP and bathroom items, the other side had 7 UnderArmor tees, 7 regular tees and 2 pairs of jeans....and some other stuff.

The install is a bit tricky-- helps if you have small hands.

I think mine were around $750-$800 and I did the install myself.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

BMW R1200RT cases are 32 litres apiece. These are 35. They are a good size although perhaps not as convenient due to the shape.

Rub

Spyder Garage

I went from the Corbin saddlebags (50 liters) on my first Spyder to the BRP R35 (35 liters) on my second Spyder. I noticed the difference, but I really like the R35's. I now have a Givi V46 (46 liters) top box which eliminates carrying a soft bag. I do carry a dry sack for my dirty laundry. The Corbins are twice the money. You should be able to get 20 percent off MSRP on the R35's.

Spyder Garage

$774.92 From jaycoxpowersports out of Minnesota. That includes shipping but not the beauty panel which is another hundred or so. No sales tax which is a big deal for those of us in California. Installation is not very hard. I am very impressed with how sturdy the mounting brackets are.

The bags are large secure and removal, all of which I like. I think they may be waterproof also but have not had an opportunity to check that out. I am sure they are meant to be. I had a little trouble in dismounting them at first but learned that it is a counter intuitive move of pushing them onto the rack while pushing the release button. It eases the drag on the catch mechanism in order for it to let go. I h ave added some waterproof grease to this and that may make it better.

The only problem I have had with them is that I take too much stuff with me. My laptop does not fit well into these things but it is time for a newer smaller one in any case. I like the way they look on the bike much more than I would have expected to and much more than other solutions I have seen.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Regardless of which set up you go with, the Givi V35 or BRP R35 (same cases, different mounting system), they are a very nice addition to the Spyder. We can fit our HJC M and L helmets inside. The cases hold lots of stuff and are easy to pack when off the bike since you can lay them down like a suitcase to load them. During a six hour ride in heavy rain, I did not get any water inside. The detach latches work better if you lube the mechanism with a shot of silicone spray.

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP R35 and I really like this setup. They are waterproof. I found that my HJC Symax II XL will fit but only in a certain position and it is snug.
    Randy
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    GULF COAST SPYDERRYDERS