Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Lamonster & Fred Rau's RT Trip across America-Day 1

Day 1- Gearing Up

I was making plans to head out to Daytona on the RT for Bike Week when I found out that Fred was flying in from Hemet, CA. and riding back home on his RT. He wanted to do lunch but I decided this would be a great opportunity to get to know Fred a little bit better and to share the wind with one of the most well respected motorcycle journalist of all time. If you've ridden motorcycles any length of time and picked up just about any touring magazine I'm sure you've ran across some of his work. He also has a few websites that are worth checking out.

SpyderFred.com - This is his Spyder Blog page
    FredRau.net - This is his Adventure Tours page
    FredRauMotorcycling.com - This is his online magazine for Touring and Sport-touring

I had planned on making this trip late last year but it just didn't work out. My mom is having some health issues and I wanted to spend some time with her and I have another good friend I need to visit before he goes. At least this way I'll be riding one way with another rider and that's always good on a long trip like this. I use to run from San Diego to Daytona twice a year before I moved to East TN and that was right at 2500 miles one way. I'm not sure how many miles we will wind up doing on this run but I'm sure I'll need a oil change or two before it's all over.

My plans were to leave today but it's been snowing on and off all day and it's pretty darn cold. Right now it's 26 with a high of 35. Tomorrow it's going to get up to 39 with only a 20% chance of snow. I'm a little bit concerned about going over the mountains through Asheville. There's been times I've had to turn around because the ice was too thick. At least I won't fall over on the Spyder. The run to Daytona will be right at 600 miles and I should make it there in about 10-11 hours.

Unfortunately I won't have a trailer on this trip so I'm having to be a little more conservative on what I bring with me. When I take a trailer I take everything and anything I think I might need. This time I'm only taking what I know I'll need and a few little things I might need.

So here's how I'm packing for this trip

The front trunk "frunk" will be used to carry my riding gear. I have ski pants, chaps, 3 sets of gloves, Gerbing jacket, and I'm storing my spare camera and spare GPS in there. This may seem a little over kill but I've loss a camera on one trip and I've had a GPS go bad on me more than once and seeing I have spares anyway I'm taking them.

The left saddle bag is a little shallower than the right side so I decided to use this for my tools. I'll carry jumper cables and the small hand tools I might need along with a cordless screwdriver in case I need to pop some panels for access. Remember this is #0001 pre-production unit and even though everything should be up to production standards it's still a good idea to cover your butt just in case.

I'll carry my laptop, cleaning supplies and snacks in the rear trunk "rrunk". I'll have my iphone hooked in so I can charge and play my ipod when I'm not listening to the XM raido. I have a CB on this unit too and so does Fred so this will be the first trip ever where I used a CB on a motorcycle. I'm sure it will come in handy for fuel and food stops.

I'll keep my camera, cards, and some snacks in the center glove box. If you look you'll see a piece of tape that says "MKT#1" This was the first RT built for the marketing team. I believe there were 30 units total. Fred got #9 and my first one was #18.

This is where I have all my stuff to wear for the trip. It's packed pretty tight and will make a great backrest. It's pretty much water resistant and I do have a trash bag I can throw over if need be.

My helmet will go in the right bag when I'm parked so I should be good to go. Right now the weather doesn't look that great heading down or in Daytona but there's nothing I can do about that other than hope for the best. I know before I leave that this will be the trip of a lifetime and I plan on making the most of it. We're not doing long days and we'll be stopping and visiting along the way so I'll have plenty of time to keep up on my work and to write my blogs. Hope you guys enjoy the virtual ride with us.

Lamonster- SpyderLovers.com

Spyder Garage

This is great!! I've been reading Fred's Spyder blog. Now we'll get two views of the same trip. Hope it all goes well. Wishing you and Fred a safe journey.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Best of luck to the both of you on your journey. God's speed.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Sure hope you guys take some video. Fred and you always have great video. Love your bag on the rear seat. Thought about trying to haul a golf bag inside a travel bag across the rear seat. I think it would also make a great back rest. Want to make a trip to Colorado to play golf with my brother. Have a great trip Lamont.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow, Sounds like a nice trip. Hope to see ya in Daytona. I will be heading over in the morning and staying till I get sent back to work, or go broke shopping at ESI, whichever comes first..

Spyder Garage

How wonderful! Godspeed!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    How wonderful! Godspeed!
    You should come with.

Spyder Garage

Default Road Trip Across America

If y'all's route takes you through Houston/San Antonio, we'd love to set up some sort of meet with you and Fred. When y'all finalize the route let us Texas folks know along with an estimated time table.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You should come with.
    Oh my, wouldn't that be neat! Unfortunately work starts next week on our vintage motorcycle show, and our club rally. Besides, I'd have to trailer the darned thing out of this snow. I'll have to be content to dream of what could have been. Thanks for the swell invitation.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Jelous in CT. Very Jelous have a great trip can't see you out there with out your trailer Bro.But hey what did we do before trailers

Spyder Garage

Traveling light (on a bike) heads up.

UPS some clean clothes to your destination. UPS the old stuff back. I don't stop and wash undies..usually just go by a Walmart and bye new ones. Cheaper and much quicker.
    Happy Owner
    Chances are the referenced post is positive in nature, may result in a solution, alteration, modification, or highlights an extraordinary event or ride, that's worth posting.

Spyder Garage

Good luck on the trip over the mountain. Hope you have a great time in Daytona and on your trip.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Have a great ride and be safe. Can't wait to hear both of your opinions about the RT-S. Your opinions are so valued on this site, I know I need to hear them. There is a Orbital Blue coming in the next couple of months at my dealer and I got first crack at it. My biggest concern is maintenance cost per scheduled visit. I realize each dealer is different and the one I go to has treated me like gold, what is your estimate on scheduled maintenance per year? I will drive mine a lot, might even be my main means of transport, avg. yearly driving is about 12,000 miles. But with this ride my wife and I want to do more traveling. Thanks for your thoughts and anyone else whom would like to chime in.

Spyder Garage

This sounds like an amazing adventure. Ryde safe, and my wife and I will see you in Daytona in one week.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    If y'all's route takes you through Houston/San Antonio, we'd love to set up some sort of meet with you and Fred. When y'all finalize the route let us Texas folks know along with an estimated time table.

Glynnk
    I think we plan on being there two weeks from now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
    Have a great ride and be safe. Can't wait to hear both of your opinions about the RT-S. Your opinions are so valued on this site, I know I need to hear them. There is a Orbital Blue coming in the next couple of months at my dealer and I got first crack at it. My biggest concern is maintenance cost per scheduled visit. I realize each dealer is different and the one I go to has treated me like gold, what is your estimate on scheduled maintenance per year? I will drive mine a lot, might even be my main means of transport, avg. yearly driving is about 12,000 miles. But with this ride my wife and I want to do more traveling. Thanks for your thoughts and anyone else whom would like to chime in.
    I can't say for sure. Fred and Ken have more miles than I do and I think Ken keeps really good records of all that stuff.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up san antonio ride

Lamont & Fred,

I have 11 that signed up so far on my meetup site that would look forward to the group ride with you and Fred in San Antonio. I know more will sign up from the surrounding cities (Austin,Dallas,Houston area's ect). Given the word.

Thanks,

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You got a great trip planned. Have fun and ride safe.

Cotton

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I can't say for sure. Fred and Ken have more miles than I do and I think Ken keeps really good records of all that stuff.
    If one of them can give me some figures that would be great. Thanks for your help. Have fun and be safe. One day I'm going to make it there.

Spyder Garage

Dukester, I just posted this question on Spyder Ryders.com
    La1SheSpyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Looking very forward to seeing you and Fred in Daytona. I plan on being there tomorrow to check out the layout and see if I run across you. Bruce Jarvis RT-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JARVIS1224 View Post
    Looking very forward to seeing you and Fred in Daytona. I plan on being there tomorrow to check out the layout and see if I run across you. Bruce Jarvis RT-5
    welcome
    I have something for you so remind me.

Spyder Garage

Hope you and Fred have a wonderful time and great ryde together. I had the honor to meet him last September, he is one exceptional guy (loved his stories).

Any idea, what states you will be traveling threw?
    Just read Fred's Blog, I know which states you both are traveling threw.
    Last edited by BumbleBee; 02-26-2010 at 05:45 AM.
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

wcc002, thank you for the update.

Spyder Garage

Wow Bro..I am envious... Keep us in touch and ride safe ... Just diggin out from 24"" in NJ..
    Godspeed
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)