Spyder Garage

Question Securing cargo/luggage on the Rear Sport Rack - ???

From looking at the pictures of the GS/RS Rear Sports Rack, doesn't seem you could easily use it... well, as a rack. Are there any ties down posts on it or under it?

How does one actually secure items to the Rear Rack?

photos???

Cheers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    From looking at the pictures of the GS/RS Rear Sports Rack, doesn't seem you could easily use it... well, as a rack. Are there any ties down posts on it or under it?

photos???

Cheers.
    I have a Kuryakyn gran tour bag attached to the back of the back rest used with the sport rack. I had the Cortech saddle bags and gave them away. The bag has eight connection points on the sides (4 on each) plus it has a wide strap (for lack of a better word) that goes around the back rest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post

photos???

Cheers.
    They kind of missed the mark on this one in my opinion. Bungee cords work well-- but you pretty much have to hook beneath the tail and on the passenger handles. I mounted a GIVI topcase to the sport rack plate for good removable storage.

Some have gone with different rack systems on the back - I think Kewlmetal has been a popular one.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

We ordered the rack when we ordered our PE GS. When it came in, it was obvious that there wasn't a good place to attach a bungee, just some small indents underneath. About the only decent choices I know of, without a topcase rack, are the Kewlmetal adapter with their luggage rack, or the Givi SR770 rack alone, without their topcase. Neither looks really integrated to the Spyder, so I just use a Helen2Wheels bag or Seal-Line bag, strapped to the passenger seat. Of course that leaves no room for a passenger, so we were forced to get a second Spyder.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have been known to carry a banjo, mandolin, and fiddle strapped to the rack, and part of the passenger seat area. I can't say as the BRP sprots rack is a masterpiece of anything. It looks ok, but has no attachment points. I use one of those bungy grid things- a whole passel of hooks and stretchy netting to hook around my pile of instruments and off I go, checking frequently in the rear view mirror for musical instruments bouncing down the highway behind me- so far so good.

Spyder Garage

It has never been clear to me whether the racks to which you can mount a topcase (ie Givi or Kewlmetal) mount on top of the Spyder sport rack or all by themselves with no BRP Sport rack involved at all.

It seems that once you buy the BRP sport rack and backrest that you are limited in options.

Another question I have is if the additional rack mounts to the BRP sport rack are you still able to remove the now combined unit and use the BRP backrest?

Almost seems to me that the best option for a backrest at all is to mount a topcase of some brand or other with a padded backrest attached to the topcase. In other words, bypass the BRP products altogether.

Could someone explain the various options to me?
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    It has never been clear to me whether the racks to which you can mount a topcase (ie Givi or Kewlmetal) mount on top of the Spyder sport rack or all by themselves with no BRP Sport rack involved at all.

It seems that once you buy the BRP sport rack and backrest that you are limited in options.

Another question I have is if the additional rack mounts to the BRP sport rack are you still able to remove the now combined unit and use the BRP backrest?

Almost seems to me that the best option for a backrest at all is to mount a topcase of some brand or other with a padded backrest attached to the topcase. In other words, bypass the BRP products altogether.

Could someone explain the various options to me?
    As far as I know the aftermarket options will work only with the standard tailpiece, not the sport rack. The Kewlmetal rack replaces the stock tailpiece, while the Givi SR770 rack requires modification of the tailpiece. Both racks attach to the frame.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty! Always there with the quick info. I agree that it's too bad someone hasn't come up with a "click in" rack to the Spyder sport rack that will hold a topcase as was mentioned in a post on one of the links.

As I would not be doing any of the work myself, I'm probably locked in to using a Givi dealer and thus going with their set up. I do like the looks of the Kewlmetal rack. I gather that the "web" plate is an addition to the basic rack. I'll have to check into this. The problem comes with "who puts it on there for me".

There are times when I think the best option for a backrest is a topcase with padding added. Kills two birds with one stone as it were. The BRP set up gets you a backrest only. Kind of dumb if you ask me.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

As part of my deal of purchase, I have the backrest and rear sports rack, which just came in.

I LOVE the trunk and use it all the time .

My primary interest was for the backrest, thus the need for the rear sports rack. Since I do have the sports rack, I think as mentioned above, that a small cargo net 'around' the entire rack may work out. The net can maybe stretch to the back of the passenger bars???
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Spyder Garage

Sorry I butted into your thread groundeffect.

I should have started my own. If the BRP sport rack only had more options, I would go with that. I still have to decide if I'm getting on the thing and ryding it if the steering issue is not settled by spring.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Sorry I butted into your thread groundeffect.

I should have started my own. If the BRP sport rack only had more options, I would go with that. I still have to decide if I'm getting on the thing and ryding it if the steering issue is not settled by spring.

No worries!

Spyder Garage

There are times when I think the best option for a backrest is a topcase with padding added. Kills two birds with one stone as it were. The BRP set up gets you a backrest only. Kind of dumb if you ask me.
    Not everyone likes the looks of a hard top/side case. I like the BRP sport rack/back rest combo and the soft case I have installed.

Spyder Garage

I like the look of the BRP backrest on the Spyder. I just wish when you took it off that the sport plate gave you more options. I actually think the best looking thing at all back there is either the Corbin Smugglers trunk if you ryde solo and the Corbin trunk if you ryde two up. Pricey. But nice looking!!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

I almost bought the BRP bag that is supposed to sit on the sport rack. That is until I saw you actually need to punch holes in the side of the sport rack to mount the buckles the bag is going to snap into. I am also one who likes the look of the BRP back rest, and bought the sport rack as it was necessary for the mounting of the back rest. I can't remember the last time I even bothered removing the back rest and putting the plate on there.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods