Spyder Garage

Default Water Pump Repair

In a previous thread I posted about some small oil leaks found on my engine. I was advised to find out more about them myself before taking the Spyder to the dealer for warranty work. This was good advice.

A couple of the leaks were weeping from the rocker boxes, which was not important because I will be getting the valve clearances checked in another month, or so. We can replace the rocker box gaskets at that time. At first, it appeared there was oil on the clutch valve solenoid. This turned out to be an illusion, probably caused by a couple of drops of oil flying through the air from another source. The solenoid is in the vacuum line for the clutch assist mechanism. The only way oil could originate there is for the diaphragm to be worn or damaged. I lucked out on that one. The largest leak (still small) puzzled me. It was at the front of the engine and was causing some pooling in the lower frame member. With a mirror on a stick and a flashlight, I still could not find the exact origin.

I took the Spyder to my Harley mechanic to have a look. I told him I was going to take the Spyder in for warranty work and wanted his opinion as to what I should tell the dealer. He confirmed what I already knew and then gave me the answer to the mystery leak up front. The Harley guy said “you have a water pump leak”. He said the leak was coming from the weep hole. The Spyder has a “leak indicator hole” in the clutch cover (think crankcase cover). The purpose of the hole is to indicate when the water pump is leaking. The water pump is fully enclosed so you do not get the usual telltale signs.

The next day I went to the Spyder dealer. I told him about the oil leaks and I said I think the water pump is leaking. I mentioned the leak indicator hole. The Spyder mechanic did his own examination and announced that I did not have a water pump leak. The leak in question was from the clutch cover gasket. Since they were doing the warranty work, I deferred to their authority. The parts were ordered.

The parts came about a week later. I brought the Spyder in first thing in the morning on a Thursday. I was told my Spyder would be finished by Friday morning and they would call me. They called on Friday afternoon to tell me they had discovered that I had a water pump leak and that three additional parts would need to be ordered (rotary seal, oil seal, and shaft). The parts were ordered. The dealership is not open on Sundays or Mondays.

On Wednesday afternoon I called to find out if the parts had arrived. I was told that two of the parts had arrived, but that the third one was on backorder. I then inquired as to what they were going to do about this. They seemed surprised by the question. After some hesitation, they said they would call BRP. This was the right thing to do. BRP located the backordered part at a Spyder dealer in another state. My dealer asked the other dealer to ship them the part, but at first forgot to ask them to overnight it. I was told the other dealer could not ship the part before Thursday, but that it would arrive overnight. Late Friday afternoon, the dealer called to say my Spyder was finished. Since at that time it was raining, I picked up the Spyder on Saturday morning.

I did not complain about the misdiagnosis, even though the Harley guy seemed to have no trouble getting it right. I did not complain about the Spyder being out of service for nine days instead of one day. However, when I got the Spyder home I discovered a credibility issue which led me to believe it would be wise for me to not have any more work done at this dealer.

From reading this forum, I know that water pump leaks are very rare. I don’t recall a single previous report. In the event that you think your water pump may be leaking, don’t forget the weep hole. It is at the front of the engine just behind the water pump.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    However, when I got the Spyder home I discovered a credibility issue which led me to believe it would be wise for me to not have any more work done at this dealer.
    With everything you posted that went wrong, and you did not complain about it, I am curious as to what the credibility issue is that you found after getting the Spyder home?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Interesting post. I brought my Spyder in for oil leaks five months ago and I may get it back this week. I have some serious creditability issues with both my dealer and BRP, who has been involved in this. While I may get my bike back this week I have no confidence that it will be fixed. I have canceled one trip to Mexico and am now thinking about canceling a trip to Alaska this summer. And I don't even factor in the steering lock up problem into these decisions.

My theory is that neither BRP nor its dealers are ready to deal with an over the road vehicle. They went from making sporadic use weekend toys to making vehicles that are used every day and counted on by some as a primary means of transportation. I think they may have underestimated the number of hours a Spyder would get used. I have over 800 hours on mine. I have never gotten more than 150 hours on any other BRP product without a catastrophic (engine) failure. (Before any of you start blaming me, these machines have all been maintained by factory trained mechanics. At considerable cost.)

Obviously I think you did very well with getting your bike back in nine days. I hope that is the end of it for you. Good luck.

As soon as I get mine back I will be riding it. It is where I am happiest.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    With everything you posted that went wrong, and you did not complain about it, I am curious as to what the credibility issue is that you found after getting the Spyder home?
    I am reluctant to discuss the nature of my issues with the dealer in a public forum. I don't know what the protocol should be for this. On the other hand, should we happen to meet in person, perhaps at some Spyder event, I will be happy to tell you my story. Needless to say, the issues were serious and disturbing.

I have purchased two Spyders from this dealer, but that will be the end of it. When BRP gives me permission to buy another Spyder, I will find one somewhere else. As we all know, buying a new motorcycle is easy, finding a good service department is not. Permission will come when BRP tells us what caused the steering disease and what the fix will do. When I am satisfied with their answer, I will feel I have permission. I would like to have a blue RT A&C.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have purchased two Spyders from this dealer, but that will be the end of it. When BRP gives me permission to buy another Spyder, I will find one somewhere else. As we all know, buying a new motorcycle is easy, finding a good service department is not. Permission will come when BRP tells us what caused the steering disease and what the fix will do. When I am satisfied with their answer, I will feel I have permission. I would like to have a blue RT A&C.

I too am thinking seriously about a blue RT. But I too will be waiting for the answer to the steering problem before I do anything.

Wayne

Spyder Garage

I am reluctant to discuss the nature of my issues with the dealer in a public forum. I don't know what the protocol should be for this. On the other hand, should we happen to meet in person, perhaps at some Spyder event, I will be happy to tell you my story. Needless to say, the issues were serious and disturbing.

Sounds fair enough. Perhaps we will meet up sometime, are you going to the Owner's Event in Daytona?

You are dead on the money about the trouble finding good service departments as well. They are like gold, and when you do find one you need to hold onto it.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default When you find a good...

service department... remember to find out your mechanics name and every now and then give him a fifth of Crown Royal or Glen Fiddish and he will always look out for your best interest.

Although it isn't necessary I always remembered this with my GL mechanics and I never had a problem getting good service from them. Now I do the same with my spyder mechanic and I always get good service. Sugar or good booze always catches more attention than vinegar. /Ken
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800