Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Had a great ride on two Spyders today

I spent most of yesterday getting my RT and my RS/GS in shape so I could go on a little ride with my son Nathan today. He just got back from a 8 month stay in Djibouti Africa working on helicopters for the Marines Corp. This was the first chance I had to ride with him on the Spyder. He rides a Sportbike now and had never been on a Spyder but he did great.

I was a little nervous at first seeing I just changed out the shocks on his ride to the RT shocks. It felt great to me and really he wouldn't know if it was good or bad seeing he had never rode a Spyder. I took it easy at first so he could get the feel of the Spyder. He took to it like a duck to water and pretty soon we were having some fun in the twisties.

We headed out of Greeneville, TN toward Hot Springs, NC. There were a ton of bikes out seeing this was the warmest day we've had here in a long time. It was really cool to think about what my boy has seen and done as a young man in the Marine Corp and how he was responsible for keeping some very expensive equipment in the air along with his crew of Marines. It made me realize that my boy is now a man and can take care of himself and I didn't have to worry near as much as I did when he was a kid.

We stopped at the store in Hot Springs and talked a bit about the Spyder and how it was to ride compared to his bike. Like he said it was like driving a four wheeler. We drank a soda and headed back home the long way.

Photo Op

By this time I was able to kick it up a bit seeing how Nathan was doing just fine. He's got mad skills on a dirtbike and a four wheeler and he's not bad on his Sportbike either I'm told. I knew that the Spyder was no big deal for him to handle.

So now I'm paying a lot more attention to my Elka's on the front of the RT. I think I have them adjusted just about as good as they can be. The RT tracks like it's on rails now and sucks up potholes like they weren't even there. It always amazes me how much of a ride difference a good suspension can make. It no longer feels top heavy when I hammer it into the turns and it just feels right now. I think if I can do a little work on the seat I'll really be able to lay into the corners on this thing. It was pretty good before but now it's even better.

I also got to play with the BRP headset on the RT and the sound is amazing. I guess my earbuds will stay in the trunk as a back up now. It took me about half a day to figure out how to make everything work together but now that I know what I'm doing I really like this setup. It's going to work great on the trip I have planned coming up.

All in all it was a great day and really cool to spend some time with my boy on the Spyders. I hope there will be many days ahead where we can do this again.

RT-S PE-0399
    Spyder Garage

Default Outstanding

It was a great day for you. Really enjoyed the post.

Please Thank your son for his service for me.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you both had a great time together, Lamomt
    You have some beautiful roads down there.
    Still have two foot of snow here.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a fun day and a fun ride. Having had the pleasure of riding with my own sons and, now, dirt riding with a grandson, I understand how proud you are. Thanks to Nathan and his fellow Marines for their service.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a great day you had
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

Great stuff Lamont, sounds like a great time for you both.

Thanks for sharing.

Spyder Garage

That makes for an outstanding day Lamont! I am very glad your son was able to come home and spend some time with you like that.

Please thank him for his service and tell him Semper Fi as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

PS....Dad, I'm taking the RTS today. You get the "old"one..LOL

Spyder Garage

Great write up Lamont
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing what was a great day with your son!
    Marilyn

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Great post, my son was in the Army a little more then 12 years. Worked on Blackhawks. I can't wait until he comes home from Iraq to do some riding with him. He as a 2010 Fat Bob on order. It's great when you can spend time with your children and enjoy those special moments with each other. We'll be heading to the Smokey Mountain and Gatlinburg the first week in August. We want to ride the Tail of the Dragon, any tips. I know your in the area. Take care and enjoy the children every chance you get, you must miss them a lot. I know how much I missed my son.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
    Great post, my son was in the Army a little more then 12 years. Worked on Blackhawks. I can't wait until he comes home from Iraq to do some riding with him. He as a 2010 Fat Bob on order. It's great when you can spend time with your children and enjoy those special moments with each other. We'll be heading to the Smokey Mountain and Gatlinburg the first week in August. We want to ride the Tail of the Dragon, any tips. I know your in the area. Take care and enjoy the children every chance you get, you must miss them a lot. I know how much I missed my son.
    Yea, watch your speed. If you look me up I'll be glad to show you around and thank your son for his service in the sandbox.

Spyder Garage

Not only does your son sound like a great kid, but it also sounds like he has a great dad. Thanks for sharing this story with us.

Also, thanks to all your boys & Dukester's boy for their service. They make what we love possible.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor Mad Matt's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Great story Lamont! Another 2 Spyder Family! Our service men and women are all heroes in my book!

Mad Matt

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you MarkLawson, us Americans take a lot for granted, but when you're a parent, the love for that child is unmatched and you would do anything for them. No matter what, appreciate the moments you have with them with every breath.Lamonster has three children gone at this time, I can't imagine what him and his wife must be feeling. God bless all, especially the military men and women and all the parents, wives, daughters, sons, grandparents of all these special people who volunteer their lives. God bless America!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Make sure Nathan knows how much the Country appreciates his service!
    Cappy

Spyder Garage

Lamont--Great report. I know your awfully proud of your sons and rightfully so. Long distance hand shake and pat on the back to Nathan for the service he's rendering our country!

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Tell your son "thank you" for all that he does.. sounds like an enjoyable ride/day and I am glad you got to enjoy it. I have three sons and I enjoy whatever time I get with them these days... seems they don't have much time for mom anymore!
    Wow what a ride!! Love my spyder!!

Spyder Garage

great story, good photos, a proud father, and I bet a proud son of his Dad too! ride safe.

Spyder Garage

The only reason i get to ride my Spyder is because of the service given by folks like your son . I never forget that .
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)