Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Soft Bag Inserts

Has anyone at this point come up with any soft bag inserts for the RT saddlebags?

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is all I have seen so far...
    http://spyder.brp.com/GearsAccessori...tail/219400169

Spyder Garage

Bikeguy posted in this thread that the Kathy's Bags for his R1100RT BMW fit well, except for the bumpout for the battery in the left case. I may make my own, but it is too cold in the garage to work on patterns.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default i bought the rt inserts

I bought the inserts when I purchased my RTS. They fit great. The luggage of course is never big enough to hold all the wife's stuff. That's why I bought the trailer with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Bikeguy posted in this thread that the Kathy's Bags for his R1100RT BMW fit well, except for the bumpout for the battery in the left case. I may make my own, but it is too cold in the garage to work on patterns.
    Yeah, but I never could figure out which bag was being referred to. The web site mentioned in the earlier post has a number of "Kathy's" bags. I never got a response back about the specifics and in the meantime I thought maybe someone had come up with other possibilities. I wish now I would have never sold my Harley soft bag inserts because I think they would have made a pretty decent fit.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vwatso View Post
    I bought the inserts when I purchased my RTS. They fit great. The luggage of course is never big enough to hold all the wife's stuff. That's why I bought the trailer with it.
    The hard bag inserts are nice, but I simply couldn't afford them...better half would have rung my neck and it's short enough as it is . I gotta believe there's some soft type that would work well. The nice thing about the BRP hard bags on my GS model was that they could be removed and carried in and you didn't really have to worry about any inserts.

Hope to see you at the next meet/eat with the S.A. folks.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Default Soft Bag Inserts

Ordered the kathy's BMW R1100RT bags from Bob's BMW. The left bag is way too large but the right bag fit well in both sides. Check with John Abrashoff at Bob's and he can special order to right side bags. As soon as they know that that set works they will try to sets specifically for the Spyder RT. I'll let you know in a week or so when the two right side bags come in.

Lonnie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenc454 View Post
    Ordered the kathy's BMW R1100RT bags from Bob's BMW. The left bag is way too large but the right bag fit well in both sides. Check with John Abrashoff at Bob's and he can special order to right side bags. As soon as they know that that set works they will try to sets specifically for the Spyder RT. I'll let you know in a week or so when the two right side bags come in.

Lonnie
    Thanks, I'll be looking for your post.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Me to! The soft liners are a necessity for us. I do have a set of HD bag liners, I'll have to see how they work. Please keep us informed about the Kathys bags.

Dwight

Spyder Garage

Default Kathy's Soft Bags

Just talked to James Abrashoff at Bob's BMW Parts Dept and I made a mistake. We need to order two left bags which are the smaller ones. You can contact him at:
    James at Bob's
    PARTS & ACCY DEPT
    301-497-8949 x229
    james.abrashoff@bobsbmw.com

I'll have mine in a few days and will check them out and send photos.

Lonnie

Spyder Garage

Default RT Drawing and Adding Accessories

From Dave on another email string with me - "Never did this way before. Now I will have a drawing to figure out how to install the Flash2Pass module for opening the door to the SPYDER's Den."

Folks, I have installed HID on the headlights, a Kisan Path Blazer on my foglights, and replaced the horn with a Stebel Air Horn on my new RT. BEWARE red wires don't always mean power and black wires don't always mean ground - on the Spyder they switch through either.

If you are adding a Flash-2-Pass decide whether you want to be able to work before start up or only after the engine is running. For example, the small LED lights up by the headlights light up before the engine starts running and the dash lights work before the engine starts. Other stuff comes on through the load shedding relay after the engine is running.

If you are like me I sometimes want to open the garage door without turning on the engine so hooking up to one of the pre-engine start items would would work as long as you are only taking enough power for a signal and not powering something big (amperage wise) otherwise add a relay and pull the power directly from the battery.

Keep your electrons flowing and the miles rolling by under your new RTs.

Lonnie

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    Yeah, but I never could figure out which bag was being referred to. The web site mentioned in the earlier post has a number of "Kathy's" bags. I never got a response back about the specifics and in the meantime I thought maybe someone had come up with other possibilities. I wish now I would have never sold my Harley soft bag inserts because I think they would have made a pretty decent fit.

Glynnk
    Here's a link to the Kathy's bags that I tried on an RT demo.

http://store.bobsbmw.com/ProductDeta...uctCode=GBL%2D

The bump-out for the battery made the left side a little tight but it still worked okay. Just load the bag a little lighter. That means it will be my side and the wife will get the other side since she can put more in it. I thought they worked just fine and I've already got set. Getting the two left side bags as lawrec454 mentioned would be better.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Here's a link to the Kathy's bags that I tried on an RT demo.

http://store.bobsbmw.com/ProductDeta...uctCode=GBL%2D

The bump-out for the battery made the left side a little tight but it still worked okay. Just load the bag a little lighter. That means it will be my side and the wife will get the other side since she can put more in it. I thought they worked just fine and I've already got set. Getting the two left side bags as lawrec454 mentioned would be better.

Cotton
    Thanks. I thought those were the bags, but the BMW lingo was throwing me. I think I'll probably give those a try. Again, thanks for the help.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

.....Folks, I have installed HID on the headlights, a Kisan Path Blazer on my foglights, and replaced the horn with a Stebel Air Horn on my new RT. BEWARE red wires don't always mean power and black wires don't always mean ground - on the Spyder they switch through either......
    I was hoping BRP had cured this problem. Some things may be switched through the ground on the RT, but very few that I could see. BRP had a lot of switched wiring on some peoples' GS models. Looks like they are still up to their old tricks. Never, never, never trust the wire color on a Spyder. Always check to be certain...even side-to-side on the same circuit. One light may be hot on the orange, and its counterpart hot on black.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Kathy's Soft Bags Arrived Today and Fit Perfect

These are two left bags. Ordered them from Bob's BMW. I filled one of them with paper and foam and it fits perfect . You could add a small bag to the outside to fit into the side bag lid recess also. Lonnie
    "May all your tomorrows, and miles, be better than all your yesterdays." LH

Spyder Garage

These are two left bags. Ordered them from Bob's BMW. I filled one of them with paper and foam and it fits perfect . You could add a small bag to the outside to fit into the side bag lid recess also. Lonnie
    Thanks for the post and the pics. Those look like the "ticket". I'll contact Bob's and get them ordered.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Default soft bags

contact James Abrashoff in Parts and he will arrange the special order. Lonnie

Spyder Garage

Got the BMW soft bags from Bob's BMW and they'll work fine, in spite of the fact I ordered two left bags and got two right bags with the pouch. As suggested, I talked to James and specifically ordered two left bags, so I'm not sure what happened.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Default 2 Right Bags

I wondered what they did with the two Right Bags after they sent me the left ones. Thanks I had been worried I'd left orphans at Bob's.

Seriously, James will make it right.

But now there will be four orphan right bags, Maybe the government will find good homes for them.

Ride safe. Lonnie

Spyder Garage

I wondered what they did with the two Right Bags after they sent me the left ones. Thanks I had been worried I'd left orphans at Bob's.

Seriously, James will make it right.

But now there will be four orphan right bags, Maybe the government will find good homes for them.

Ride safe. Lonnie
    LOL.....yeah, I figured that's what happened. They had to do something with the "righties" that were left after Spyder ryders emptied their "lefties" inventory. As I said, the "righties" will work as long as you don't put anything in the pouches.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default bag liner option

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/...seeAccessories2

Very sturdy--perfect for inside hard bags. Really cost effective too.

Tom Volk

full disclosure: I own RPW
    home of Marsee Products and helen twowheels products

I ride a BMW LT and just bought a RTS Spyder -I have found these bags to be way easier to use (and they are waterproof) than the fitted bags I used to use on my LT . Obviously I am biased !!!--but these bags really are excellent.

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

So Tom, what size works best for the Spyders? These look like they would work for us.

Thanks
    Dwight

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default dry bag size for RT

All the bags are easy to simply compress and roll to fit whatever you put into them--(assuming you do not overfill!!)

The 30 L bag fits nicely in the top rear case as well as the front 'trunk' . There is a little extra room in the front trunk and you can not quite cram a totally overfilled 30 liter in the top case.

The 20L fits the side cases as do qty 2 of the 15L bags . I like having 2 bags per side to separate my stuff and maximize packing space.

You could also fit a 15L with a 30 L in the front trunk.

These bags are good quality and a great value.

Thanks---

Tom Volk

PS--If you buy them and do not like them--let me know and we will gladly exchange for something else or refund your money!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Luggage Organizer

I use Cabela's Packing Organizers Item:IA-518738. They are inexpensive and work great.

I have one for each type of item I pack. Then I can pull an entire group of items out of the bags when I want. For example: I have one with all of my 'cold gear' that I don't need in the summer but may need on a trip in the fall. I have one that also has a bunch of the 'emergency' items that I might need on a longer trip.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile Marsee Dry Bags

Quote Originally Posted by tomvolk View Post
    http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/...seeAccessories2

Very sturdy--perfect for inside hard bags. Really cost effective too.

Tom arranged for me to purchase a set of these bags and posted to Australia, they are excellent for storing all the things needed for a week away! and they are so easy to remove and carry into motel room.

Highly recommended

Al