Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder values and the Economy?

Just a simple question about a Spyder value.

I finally have an opportunity to purchase a bike (non spyder) I have been looking at for about 5 years. I will have to move my 08' se5 yellow Spyder FAST if I can secure this deal. However I will need 12k for it.

I really cant determine the value from e-bay because there isnt many used se5's for sale. My bike has about 3000 miles and still has warranty until October 2010.

This ISNT and advertisement to sell it right now. If I cannot secure the bike im looking at, I will not sell the spyder.

What would be the best way to sell the spyder the fastest?

Also would the 12k I need be hard to get in Februrary?

FYI I live in Michigan, the economy is crappy and its really cold here so People arent really thinking about bikes yet. (If anyone in Michigan can afford 1)

I think the price is low for my bike but I am getting a GREAT deal on the bike im looking at. (owner has seriously underestimated his bikes value)

A local dealer offered me 11k but wouldnt budge any higher....

Any opinions or ideas on my dilema? I have nearly exhausted my options
    of financing the bike with NO luck. Selling my spyder is my absolute
    LAST option but im willing to do it.

Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

I think your best bet at this point, with all of the information you posted, may be to take the 11K from the dealer and finance whatever you still need on the other bike. The whole bird in the hand thing may come into play here.

I bought my wife's 2009 SE5 in September, 09, with only 250 miles on it for $13,500 and it was still very good ryding weather down here.

Hope that helps, and best of luck with getting the other bike.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Paingod View Post
    Just a simple question about a Spyder value.

I finally have an opportunity to purchase a bike (non spyder) I have been looking at for about 5 years. I will have to move my 08' se5 yellow Spyder FAST if I can secure this deal. However I will need 12k for it.

I really cant determine the value from e-bay because there isnt many used se5's for sale. My bike has about 3000 miles and still has warranty until October 2010.

This ISNT and advertisement to sell it right now. If I cannot secure the bike im looking at, I will not sell the spyder.

What would be the best way to sell the spyder the fastest?

Also would the 12k I need be hard to get in Februrary?

FYI I live in Michigan, the economy is crappy and its really cold here so People arent really thinking about bikes yet. (If anyone in Michigan can afford 1)

I think the price is low for my bike but I am getting a GREAT deal on the bike im looking at. (owner has seriously underestimated his bikes value)

A local dealer offered me 11k but wouldnt budge any higher....

Any opinions or ideas on my dilema? I have nearly exhausted my options
    of financing the bike with NO luck. Selling my spyder is my absolute
    LAST option but im willing to do it.

Thanks in advance
    Look at it like you are buying the Spyder. Would you pay $12000 for a 08 when you can get a new one for not much more?
    If you want the other bike...take the $11000 the dealer offered you and run.

RAL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We have some 09's at the dealers aound here for 13500, with the ryding weather still nice. 11K would be about right. I did quite a bit of looking when I priced my 09, that sold in less than a month. I'm sure this isnt the best case scenario, but I agree that to move it this month, 11K would be a good price.

Spyder Garage

There's a yellow SM5 here that's been for sale for over a year, asking $11,500 - I know he would take $9K cash for it. However, the local stealers are still asking over $14K for demo '08s. Considering your location, and the economy, I have to agree with the "take the $11K" comments

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RAL View Post
    Look at it like you are buying the Spyder. Would you pay $12000 for a 08 when you can get a new one for not much more?
    If you want the other bike...take the $11000 the dealer offered you and run.
    RAL
    I know prices have dropped but a NEW SE5 is quite a bit more than the 12k???? (at least around here) What prices on a new SE have you seen?

Yeah I see your point about taking the 11k, That really hurts (as I owe more than that) butt............. I am giving it serious thought

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    We have some 09's at the dealers aound here for 13500, with the ryding weather still nice. 11K would be about right. I did quite a bit of looking when I priced my 09, that sold in less than a month. I'm sure this isnt the best case scenario, but I agree that to move it this month, 11K would be a good price.
    you can get an NEW 09 SE5 (AUTO) for 13,500????????

Way2Fast

I know a local guy who has a '08 with only about 250 miles on it for sale at $10,900. It's like brand new and has many options. Yet everyone still is trying to knock him down to $10K and below. If a dealer will give you $11,000 for a 3000 mile bike and not want you to purchase another bike from them I'd grab it before they wise up. I'd be willing to bet that they will give the $11k on a trade in but not as an outright purchase of your Spyder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Its an SM for that price. They are even discounting thr RTs's, and adding extended warranty to them.

Spyder Garage

Amazing - our stealers are adding ADP of $1500 to the RTs!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    If a dealer will give you $11,000 for a 3000 mile bike and not want you to purchase another bike from them I'd grab it before they wise up. I'd be willing to bet that they will give the $11k on a trade in but not as an outright purchase of your Spyder.
    Good point! I will have to verify that. Although I just walked in and asked what they would give me for it? (as it is not riding weather here)
    I wasnt looking at another or asking about another bike.

His 1st price was 10k, but later said maybe as high as 11k.. (I bought it from them/and have bought a few from them) so they know what it was.

He just looked into this little book and spit the price out (Must have been some kind of dealer price guide?)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Amazing - our stealers are adding ADP of $1500 to the RTs!
    The price around here is 23790 with the extended warranty. And they only have a 99.00 setup/prep fee.

Spyder Garage

EBay is a lousy way to estimate prices. Starting prices are often low, just to get your attention, and few people search the completed listings. In addition, auctions generally attract the highest sale prices. A better bet to get an idea of value is the NADA or Kelley Blue Book values.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

08 SE5

NADA 10,415 Trade 13,700 Retail
    KBB 9,950 Trade 13,600 Retail

Here is your ballpark?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    EBay is a lousy way to estimate prices. Starting prices are often low, just to get your attention, and few people search the completed listings. In addition, auctions generally attract the highest sale prices. A better bet to get an idea of value is the NADA or Kelley Blue Book values.
    thanks for the help, I may just run an ebay auction for 1 week, I think it may bring the money im looking for (well the money I need). I will have to check e-bay fees, I hope it wont cost too much in comission.

Spyder Garage

Default my 2008 SE5 is worth more than that to me . . . .

. . . . . but,

Just a simple question about a Spyder value. As you can see, it is not a simple question.

I finally have an opportunity to purchase a bike (non spyder) I have been looking at for about 5 years. I will have to move my 08' se5 yellow Spyder FAST if I can secure this deal. However I will need 12k for it. It sounds like you have a "formula" in mind - if you cannot balance it (more money on one side or less on the other), maybe you should pass.

I really cant determine the value from e-bay because there isnt many used se5's for sale. My bike has about 3000 miles and still has warranty until October 2010. Does it have any upgrades or is it stock? From what I have seen, most dealers only take 'stock' Spyders in and it is up to the owner to sell or liquidate them. That could take some time & effort and you would not have the money in hand for your other bike, but it would help balance the equation.

A local dealer offered me 11k but wouldnt budge any higher.... What would be the best way to sell the spyder the fastest? Also would the 12k I need be hard to get in February? Who knows?

I think the price is low for my bike but I am getting a GREAT deal on the bike im looking at. (owner has seriously underestimated his bikes value) Well, the fastest way is to take the dealer's offer. It is a good bet that they think they can get more for it than what they are offering. As a rule of thumb, you can usually do better than what they offer if you sell it yourself. It just takes more effort on your part and the timing is out of your control.

Any opinions or ideas on my dilemma? IF the bike you are looking at is $12k - here is what I would do if I wanted to get this GREAT deal. I would offer the other owner his $12k price, with $11k down and balance of $1K within 4 months. Sell stuff, cutback & save, use the Spyder's insurance refund balance to get that $1k and the bike.
    Like you, I would think long and hard about it - to me, now is not the time to get overextended financially. Other deals will come along, patience will usually save you money on things like this - though it does not provide "instant gratification".

The other thing that is clear from reading what you wrote, you are happy with your Spyder, since selling it would be your "absolute last option". In this kind of decision, only you can tell if you have "enough" or if you need "more".

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    08 SE5

NADA 10,415 Trade 13,700 Retail
    KBB 9,950 Trade 13,600 Retail

Here is your ballpark?
    thanks I seem to be right in the middle (It could be worse)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . . but,

Like you, I would think long and hard about it - to me, now is not the time to get overextended financially. Other deals will come along, patience will usually save you money on things like this - though it does not provide "instant gratification".

The other thing that is clear from reading what you wrote, you are happy with your Spyder, since selling it would be your "absolute last option". In this kind of decision, only you can tell if you have "enough" or if you need "more".
    Tom
    Tom
    I understand what your saying, and I do not wish to get into personal details, or details about the other bike. (until its mine) People here will be the 1st to know (Then It should make alot of sense to most people).
    Its A deal I will NEVER see again!

I do love my Spyder, and would NOT sell it, or trade it for any other motorcycle! then when finances improve I will most likely buy another

Spyder Garage

I agree w/ the others - take the offer of 11K. That seems really good compared to the offers I've seen that dealers do - 7500 or 8500. When trading in, you lose all the $$$ you put into it w/ accessories. If you sell it outright you might do good but depends on who has play money. So I think the 11K in these days and times is a real good offer IMHO.

Spyder Garage

Default I hope it works out for you . . . .

Tom
    I understand what your saying, and I do not wish to get into personal details, or details about the other bike. (until its mine) People here will be the 1st to know (Then It should make alot of sense to most people).
    Its A deal I will NEVER see again!

I do love my Spyder, and would NOT sell it, or trade it for any other motorcycle! then when finances improve I will most likely buy another
    . . . . it sounds like you know what you are doing.

By the way, I am from Michigan, Grand Rapids. I went to WMU in Kalamazoo and I lived in Benton Harbor for a while. When I lived in Chicago, I would spend a lot of time in the Warren and Douglas areas when friends would rent cottages on 'The Lake'. Great beach times, the dunes and hang-gliding. Just the other day, I was thinking that - if it was clear of snow and ice - a Spyder ride on the Red Arrow Highway would be beautiful this time of year. Some of the best Hamburger & Hot Dog 'dives' in the USA used to be on that road. Good food, great rides and fantastic memories.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

By the way, I am from Michigan, Grand Rapids. I went to WMU in Kalamazoo and I lived in Benton Harbor for a while. When I lived in Chicago, I would spend a lot of time in the Warren and Douglas areas when friends would rent cottages on 'The Lake'. Great beach times, the dunes and hang-gliding. Just the other day, I was thinking that - if it was clear of snow and ice - a Spyder ride on the Red Arrow Highway would be beautiful this time of year. Some of the best Hamburger & Hot Dog 'dives' in the USA used to be on that road. Good food, great rides and fantastic memories.

Tom
    I was just planning a "Red Arrow - Blue Star" tour yesterday. Helps keep my mind off February. Lakeshore rides are my favorite in the world. I'll second the "Best hamburger dives" statement. The Redwood in Douglas was my favorite.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Tom
    Go Broncos !

Ahhh-- Warren Dunes--- not quite as breath-taking as Sleeping Bear--- but only an hour or so away for me. Spent many a night star-gazing on those dunes. (even slept overnight on them a few times back in high school).
    Doesn't get much better than anywhere on Lake Michigan in the Summer.

Sounds like some good, realistic advice given about the sale of a used Spyder. Even HD's don't hold their value like they used to in this economy.

Hope you can work something out--- curious to hear about the possible new ride!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Take the $11K .. right now ..this ain t gettin better for a while ..
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    I know a local guy who has a '08 with only about 250 miles on it for sale at $10,900. It's like brand new and has many options. Yet everyone still is trying to knock him down to $10K and below. If a dealer will give you $11,000 for a 3000 mile bike and not want you to purchase another bike from them I'd grab it before they wise up. I'd be willing to bet that they will give the $11k on a trade in but not as an outright purchase of your Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I also grew up in Grand Rapids, and every once in a while I think back on all of the fun trips to Grand Haven and playing in the dunes at the lake. Then I decide it is time for a trip to the beach in order to get that out of my system again.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods