Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Passing it on- Dynamic Power Steering (DPS) Update

Dynamic Power Steering (DPS) Update
    BRP is fully aware of the concerns and opinions expressed by its valued customers and find them essential to our ongoing efforts to improve the quality of our products. We are thankful to all those who have taken the time to give us feedback on their riding experiences, overall product features or reliability.

Since owners started to voice concerns about their DPS units, BRP technicians and engineers have been in the field talking to several of them in order to assess and understand the nature of their complaint. In November, we released a statement letting the owner community know we needed a few more weeks before concluding our investigation. Due to the low number of cases, and the small frequency of occurrence, this investigation has taken more time than initially planned, but rest assured we will inform you as soon as we reach that conclusion.

In the meantime, BRP would like to once again stress that every Spyder owner should have his or her Spyder updated to the latest software that was the subject of the DPS recall in July 2009. And, we cannot stress enough that one should not remove the fuse powering the DPS unit as this can only worsen the situation described in the July DPS recall notice.

We at BRP are sensitive to the frustration some of our most valued and passionate Spyder owners are feeling with this situation. Please be assured that we will keep you and your dealer posted when more information becomes available.

Thank you for your
    continued understanding and support,

The Can-Am Spyder After-Sales Support Team

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    . And, we cannot stress enough that one should not remove the fuse powering the DPS unit as this can only worsen the situation described in the July DPS recall notice.
    Hummm very interesting... I thought the power assist was electronic controled and the software controled it by the speed of the spyder. Now I don't undersatnd ?????

Spyder Garage

"Since owners started to voice concerns about their DPS units, BRP technicians and engineers have been in the field talking to several of them in order to assess and understand the nature of their complaint. In November, we released a statement letting the owner community know we needed a few more weeks before concluding our investigation. Due to the low number of cases, and the small frequency of occurrence, this investigation has taken more time than initially planned, but rest assured we will inform you as soon as we reach that conclusion. "

Curious, how many cases. I have not had a problem with the steering.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

5 paragraphs and they said nothing.
    Last edited by rnet; 02-10-2010 at 01:25 PM.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Campverdefela;179711
    Curious, how many cases. I have not had a problem with the steering.[/QUOTE]

Put me down as one. And it didn't start till i had 5 thousand + miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    "Since owners started to voice concerns about their DPS units, BRP technicians and engineers have been in the field talking to several of them in order to assess and understand the nature of their complaint. In November, we released a statement letting the owner community know we needed a few more weeks before concluding our investigation. Due to the low number of cases, and the small frequency of occurrence, this investigation has taken more time than initially planned, but rest assured we will inform you as soon as we reach that conclusion. "

Curious, how many cases. I have not had a problem with the steering.
    According to the NHTSA:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

2008 - 16 reports of steering problems
    2009 - 3 reports of steering problems
    2010 - N/A

So around 20 'officially' reported steering issues.

I'm included in one of the 20, and my steering has been fixed quite some time ago with no more problems.

I would guess that most don't report to the NHTSA. It only took around 5 of us to file complaints to get recall action.

Not sure if anyone has done a poll out here of who has had steering issues, who still does and who has had them fixed???

My best guess from reading on here and other sites would be 100-200 with steering issues---- at most.

Some that had recurring problems moved on to other brands, others that continue to complain probably should think about doing the same if they are that unsatisfied with BRP.

The rest of us--- ride on--- be aware - and if you have steering problems get it into your dealer.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I found this on wikipedia. BRP Recall's 9,932 2008 & 2009 Can-Am Spyder roadsters for Steering adjustments.[11] As of 7/9/09, there have been reports of 4 Spyders catching fire per the forums at spyderlovers.com (Texas, Illinois, Florida #1026, Arizona #3224)

now as per the NHTS they report only 20 cases being reported yes their are probably more than that how many i don't know now that being said how many cases did not get reported but were fixed to the satisfaction of the owner. i would say quite a few. This bike is still new it will have problems and are multiplied 10x by forums. scaring people away from the spyder does not help any of us. If no one buys brp closes more dealers no dealers no spyders and the people that have them are left high and dry.

Roger

Spyder Garage

I don't want to see the Spyder go either and I really do not think it is going to fail. But I agree that the statement pretty much said nothing. I went to the brp site and couldn't find the statement anywhere over there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    Ha ha ... wut ya expect from a large corporation? They did this cya announcement because Toyota is being raked over the coal doing similar stunt. Thank goodness I am trouble free so far but I live in northern states with limited rding months and don't put more than a few thousand miles on my . I am jumpy whenever I ride but the fun factor keeps me coming back. Sorta like playing spydee roulette. LOL
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Yeah, Toyota is having steering issues too w/ some vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Ha ha ... wut ya expect from a large corporation? They did this cya announcement because Toyota is being raked over the coal doing similar stunt. Thank goodness I am trouble free so far but I live in northern states with limited rding months and don't put more than a few thousand miles on my . I am jumpy whenever I ride but the fun factor keeps me coming back. Sorta like playing spydee roulette. LOL

Spyder Garage

Now you can add honda to the recall list.

Roger

Spyder Garage

Yep - just let my friend know about that - she has a CRV but not sure what year.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Now you can add honda to the recall list.

Spyder Garage

Do you suppose (GM) Government Motor is doing something right.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Nah
    Do you suppose (GM) Government Motor is doing something right.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess if Toyota and Honda have a recall it makes some people feel good??
    This is a Spyder Forum Who cares what Toyota/Honda does or
    doesn't do?
    The only thing you should care about is what BRP does or
    doesn't do.

Spyder Garage

I,d like to hear something with a Little More Substance by Mid to Late March when many of us return to the Roads on warm days! Amen.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default I care!

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    doesn't do?
    doesn't do.
    I care, I also drive a Toyota!
    Everything never changes!

Spyder Garage

Default BRP

Personally I appreciate just hearing something from BRP. If only 20 reports are recorded; then to BRP that isn't a major issue relative to their total production. (as we used to say in the service: ("Just a little background noise").

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

^ This.

For the first time since buying the Spyder, I found myself looking at another bike. The H-D Sportster Iron 883 looks awesome. I feel so dirty...

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
    I care, I also drive a Toyota!
    I'm worried less about driving a Toyota than being on my Spyder and being in front of one with a problem
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default 883

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    ^ This.

For the first time since buying the Spyder, I found myself looking at another bike. The H-D Sportster Iron 883 looks awesome. I feel so dirty...
    Had one of those once----Kinda like riding a chain saw. May be better now.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

I had an 883 - not that I rode it far - cool looking bike but rode like a rock. Your butt is gonna hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    ^ This.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    doesn't do?
    doesn't do.
    Hummmm ... will you still not care if you are being tailgated by a Prius while Spydering or followed by a Camery?
    Last edited by M2Wild; 02-10-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

My son just bought a used 2009 883 Iron. All flat black. Wow what a retro looking great ride.
    The ride is better nowadays, as well as the progressive shocks mod that have been installed on it . Its coupled with a screaming eagle snorkel. Only other bike I have ridden since the spyder...
    H-D did it well this time . Now for those Vance and Hines black pipes.

Why is it so white out the window?
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Dynamic Power Steering (DPS) Update
    BRP is fully aware of the concerns and opinions expressed by its valued customers and find them essential to our ongoing efforts to improve the quality of our products. We are thankful to all those who have taken the time to give us feedback on their riding experiences, overall product features or reliability.

Since owners started to voice concerns about their DPS units, BRP technicians and engineers have been in the field talking to several of them in order to assess and understand the nature of their complaint. In November, we released a statement letting the owner community know we needed a few more weeks before concluding our investigation. Due to the low number of cases, and the small frequency of occurrence, this investigation has taken more time than initially planned, but rest assured we will inform you as soon as we reach that conclusion.

In the meantime, BRP would like to once again stress that every Spyder owner should have his or her Spyder updated to the latest software that was the subject of the DPS recall in July 2009. And, we cannot stress enough that one should not remove the fuse powering the DPS unit as this can only worsen the situation described in the July DPS recall notice.

We at BRP are sensitive to the frustration some of our most valued and passionate Spyder owners are feeling with this situation. Please be assured that we will keep you and your dealer posted when more information becomes available.

Thank you for your
    continued understanding and support,

The Can-Am Spyder After-Sales Support Team

Lamont, thank you for taking the time to post and pass along this communication from BRP.

Cheers.