Thread: Year Model??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Year Model??

When I bought my Spyder back in October of 2008 I was told by the Dealer that this was a 2009 model,but when I got my title it was listed as a 2008 year model. Are there actually 2009 year model Spyders or are they just left over 2008's? The Dealer invoice says 2009. Just wondering.

Spyder Garage

I'm afraid your dealer took you to the cleaners...or at least made an unknowing screw-up. The 2009 models were introduced in October 2008, but it looks like you got old stock or the end of the 2008 model run. It should have been obvious to the dealer. Your VIN# tag on the swingarm will give the model year, model designation, and month and year of production. The 2008 Models were the A18* and A28*, 2009 had the A19* and A29*, and the 2010s are A1A* and A2A* models. If your VN shows a2009, but the title says 2008, the DMV screwed up. Mine did! Little differences between the years except the colors available, special editions, and minor product updates.

This is mainly an issue of misrepresentation, and perhaps a monetary issue, between you and your dealer (unless the DMV made the error). I feel he does owe you something, no matter what he charged you for your Spyder. The resale value (if important) is slightly less. Maybe you can get a free set of bags, or a comfort seat out of him. BTW, lots of old stock left sitting on dealers' floors due to the economy and quick market saturation.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

So TT

What does the VN indicate?
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Year Model

Looks like I was sold a 2008 model according to the VIN#. Not that big of a deal to me unless the 2009 models arent having the steering issues like my 2008 is. Thanks for the info.

Spyder Garage

What dealer was it, that's definantly misinformation.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

I would definitely take it back and demand an '09, it's on paper paper work that should hold water in the legal system they sold you such a machine. It's a whole different KBB value they sold you and 2008's are definitely at risk for problems.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTripod View Post
    Looks like I was sold a 2008 model according to the VIN#. Not that big of a deal to me unless the 2009 models arent having the steering issues like my 2008 is. Thanks for the info.
    There have been a few 2009 models with steering problems reported on here so far, but the vast majority of them have been 2008 models. If nothing else, it might be worth a "friendly" discussion with the selling dealer.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    There have been a few 2009 models with steering problems reported on here so far, but the vast majority of them have been 2008 models. If nothing else, it might be worth a "friendly" discussion with the selling dealer.
    ......and maybe a free three year BEST, if you didn't buy one. Also, if there was an incentive in effect at the time of your purchase for the previous year's model, he owes you that, too. There was also a price change, but I don't know when it went into effect.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Since I bought my Spyder out of state, I did all the paperwork - and kept copies of everything. I even have a copy of the Port Of Entry on my Spyder. All that stuff helps resolve problems like this - after you talk to the dealer, you will know if it was him or TX DOT that made the mistake.

Make sure you check what your insurance says - there are different rates for 2008 and 2009 models.

You may also contact BRP and have them give you the model year info based on your VIN.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

What does your bill of sale list the bike as 2008 or 2009 ? If it says 2009 hold the dealer to it . The 2008 should be cheaper than the 2009 and you will loose on the resale big-time !
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ......and maybe a free three year BEST, if you didn't buy one. Also, if there was an incentive in effect at the time of your purchase for the previous year's model, he owes you that, too. There was also a price change, but I don't know when it went into effect.
    Excellent point Scotty!

I had totally forgotten that when I bought my 2009 on September 9, 2009, that I received the 3 year BEST warranty for free. I also got $1000 worth of free BRP clothing or accessories with it, which I applied to some of the accessories on my Spyder. If I recall correctly, the 2008 model was supposed to get $1500 worth of accessories at that same time.

Of course I have no earthly idea what incentives, if any, may have been in place back in October of 2008 when you bought yours though.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods