Thread: Soft Saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Soft Saddlebags

I've seen lots of discussion and pictures of the hard bags and, granted, they are nice. But I really don't want to sink that much money into bags. So, how about soft bags? Anybody using anything but the Nelson Rigg CL-950 or CL-1000. They seem kind of small to me. Can you get a helmet in them. How about the CL-850. It's larger but will it fit the spyder?
    Ideas please.
    Dick
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

I have the NR CL-1000's and I like them, but you cant put a helmet in there (well, maybe a half helmet). When my wife and I go away for the weekend, she put's her stuff in the saddle bags and I put my bag up front.

------------------------------------------------
    HappySpyderOwner

Spyder Garage

You may have fit issues with the 850....they look big.
    HappySpyderOwner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the bottle holders on the front of the bags. Do the bags fit with the standard straps or do you need extensions?
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I like the way those cl-1000 bags look. It looks like they are easy to put on/take off. The trunk so far provides more room than I need, but on a road trip they'd be good.
    Indecision may or may not be my problem...J. Buffett

2008 gs silver sm5 #74

Spyder Garage

Those look great! Thanks for posting those pictures, as you have just given me some more ideas on what to spend my money on.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

They are pretty easy to take on and off, after you do it once or twice you will figure out the best way. The only issue, is if you strap the velcro too tight, it makes it harder for the seat to close.
    HappySpyderOwner

Spyder Garage

I've been looking at these Ortlieb Dry Bag Saddlebags

Not nearly as nice looking (and a lot more expensive) though completely waterproof which I think is an important trade-off when travelling.
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I like the bottle holders on the front of the bags. Do the bags fit with the standard straps or do you need extensions?
    Yeah, the bottle holders are nice, this was during my trip from MD to Canada so I had the trunk full, my backpack and the saddle bags.
    HappySpyderOwner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Latemarch View Post
    I've been looking at these Ortlieb Dry Bag Saddlebags

Not nearly as nice looking (and a lot more expensive) though completely waterproof which I think is an important trade-off when travelling.
    If you get those, let us know how they fit and how you like them. I agree on the waterproof deal. I just ordered one of these. http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/m...D/FCW_COLO.htm I am going to just strap it down on the back of the seat. We'll see.
    Love my

Spyder Garage

According to the Nelson-Rigg website, the CL-950 Deluxe Saddlebags also come with a 100% waterproof cover.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=459

Also seems like a very good price.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    According to the Nelson-Rigg website, the CL-950 Deluxe Saddlebags also come with a 100% waterproof cover.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=459

Also seems like a very good price.
    I like those bags. They are just not big enough for my needs. They are about 40 liters between them and the dry bag I ordered has 105. I may end up getting the NRs as well since I decided against a trailer.
    Love my

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I run the cl-850 nelson rigg bags.They work great for me. Sorry picture, had a side shot but can't find.Yes they come with covers .Regards

Spyder Garage

The 1000's come with a waterproof cover too.
    HappySpyderOwner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno824 View Post
    I run the cl-850 nelson rigg bags.They work great for me. Sorry picture, had a side shot but can't find.Yes they come with covers .Regards
    Hey Dyno824, thanks very much for that info and picture. Are you just using the stock NR straps that come with the bags or did you have to get extensions? I read somewhere an extension is needed
    Love my

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno824 View Post

Hey Dyno,
    Thanks for the picture, but.... can post a side view one? if you can find it... I'm thinking of getting those bags... I think the CL 1000 maybe too small, I figure if I'm gonna get some saddle bags for long travel, I should get some that can hold a lot...

thanks
    Kewlmetal Intake, NMN HID headlights, Scorpio Alarm, LED mud flaps, triple play, fender tips, LeoVince exhaust, Juice Box...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by leo76dragon View Post
    Hey Dyno,
    Thanks for the picture, but.... can post a side view one? if you can find it... I'm thinking of getting those bags... I think the CL 1000 maybe too small, I figure if I'm gonna get some saddle bags for long travel, I should get some that can hold a lot...

thanks
    Leo, I found them for $117 shipped. Let us know if you find them cheaper. I hope Dyno lets us know about the straps..http://www.cycleluggage.com/nelson_r...FQTxDAodfigNpQ
    Love my

Spyder Garage

Leo, I found them for $117 shipped. Let us know if you find them cheaper. I hope Dyno lets us know about the straps..http://www.cycleluggage.com/nelson_r...FQTxDAodfigNpQ

thanks for finding this one... I havent found a cheaper one yet, but I'll be on the look out.... I'm just hoping that they'll fit with my LeoVince exhaust and they don't block the passenger foot pegs....
    Kewlmetal Intake, NMN HID headlights, Scorpio Alarm, LED mud flaps, triple play, fender tips, LeoVince exhaust, Juice Box...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default CL-850

I too am interested in the CL-850, but will be carrying a passenger. Do the straps run under the seat, and what about the footpegs (I have the extended)?

Spyder Garage

got a set never used them i'll let them go cheap if you want them...
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    got a set never used them i'll let them go cheap if you want them...
    Pm sent

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Suppose the CL-1000 would fit a Spyder with the TBR Dual Exhaust?
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Changed the price?

It is showing $124 now??? newenough.com has them for $109 plus shipping...which was $17 to my zipcode...might be a better deal depending on where people live would be more where I live though.
    Everything never changes!