Spyder Garage

Default Dark Side comment

Just for grins, I went to my local Hardley shop & offered to swap my 2001 Valk (under 11K mi) & 2009 Spyder (just over 1K miles) (both with a gazillion $$ in farkles) on a new Triglide - well, first they offered more for the Valk than the Spyder, and, at the end of the pencil work, they still wanted $16K in cash.

What they offered was a wholesale figure they got from another party - "those things aren't selling, be glad you even got an offer..."

You know, for all the attention Spyders get, I think I own a collector's item - like a 1924 Rolls - everyone wants to see it, but few want to own it.... did we contribute to that???

Just offered as information - and probably more likely to occur in the great NorthWet....

Spyder Garage

There has been a lot of noise about the resale value on Spyders lately. Hard to say why it is what it is, although I don't personally think the book price is really out of line...at least not for the Great Lakes area, where resale values are generally lower. My slant on it is that the market quickly became saturated. That lowered demand. When BRP introduced the Spyder, my sources say their target was a few thousand the first year. Instead, they sold three time that. Demand was lower the second year, but sales remained steady, with lots of new riders, riders searching for a more stable platform, etc. Now many of those waiting for this innovative platform have satisfied our needs. The introduction of an additional model was undoubtedly meant to expand the market, but there are those that would have bought and modified an RS, that will now buy an RT, further reducing the number of available customers. If the demand is lower, the prices are lower...simple economics.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ... If the demand is lower, the prices are lower...simple economics.
    When I traded mine in for the Triumph, I got $9,500. But it was worth it because I didn't have to take the responsibility for it... the dealer knew why I was selling.

They in turn sold it for $10,500, retail.

I did take most of the aftermarket stuff off and sold it separately for about 50% of original cost. Got about $3,000 for that.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I think you also need to take into account the economy and the time of year.

I know that it's hard to do much more than give motorcycle gear away this time of year and it's probably not much better for motorcycle sales. I know Harley is having trouble selling their product. Sales are way down for them. They completely shut down Buell and it is no more. A cost cutting move. Buell was selling, but not enough.

So, BRP comes out with a brand new, one of a kind product right at the front edge of the recession cliff. Things are tight and I would say resale value on most any motorcycle has taken a hit.

Add to this the continual BRP bashing at one of the premire sales points (this forum) and it may be we have shot ourselves in the foot.

Of course, resale value is only important if you are selling! Since I'm not then it really doesn't matter to me. Maybe my insurance will go down!

I'd say prices will pick up some in the next few months. But then the price of what you're buying will do the same thing.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would venture that they are still a "new" format and haven't quite found their niche. Add to the comments about the economy and then look at all of them on E-bay regularly and you can get a very low mileage, and cost, used Spyder. I believe many people bought them as another "keeping ahead of the Jones'" toy and had them financed with every other item they own and when the crap hit the economy,they need to dump.
    Instead of getting rid of the higher priced( and thirsty) SUV, the Spyder goes. When polls ask people what they are doing to "cut back", one of the highest on the list is "going to Starbucks 1 day less a week. That should balance it out.
    The motorcycle industry is completely different than it was 40 years ago. Most people bought bikes because they were motorcyclists, now it is just another commodity to grow bored with.No disrespect to the HD crowd or the 'wing crowd, but the development of "riders groups" is what made both. I guess I liked it when only bikers rode bikes. I use the term "bikers" not to describe some fanciful notion of a motorcycle gang, but as motorcyclist in general. From 1969 when 95% of bike buyers were motorcyclist, to now...I would bet that there is less than 25% of the buyers that fall into that category. No test data, just 40 years of observation in the business.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woodz428 View Post
    I would venture that they are still a "new" format and haven't quite found their niche. Add to the comments about the economy and then look at all of them on E-bay regularly and you can get a very low mileage, and cost, used Spyder. I believe many people bought them as another "keeping ahead of the Jones'" toy and had them financed with every other item they own and when the crap hit the economy,they need to dump.
    Instead of getting rid of the higher priced( and thirsty) SUV, the Spyder goes. When polls ask people what they are doing to "cut back", one of the highest on the list is "going to Starbucks 1 day less a week. That should balance it out.
    The motorcycle industry is completely different than it was 40 years ago. Most people bought bikes because they were motorcyclists, now it is just another commodity to grow bored with.No disrespect to the HD crowd or the 'wing crowd, but the development of "riders groups" is what made both. I guess I liked it when only bikers rode bikes. I use the term "bikers" not to describe some fanciful notion of a motorcycle gang, but as motorcyclist in general. From 1969 when 95% of bike buyers were motorcyclist, to now...I would bet that there is less than 25% of the buyers that fall into that category. No test data, just 40 years of observation in the business.
    and well stated. That matches my observations too.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Trade value

I decided to go back to two wheels after owning the Spyder for 7 months. After several BMW's I wanted to trade for a Harley but the local Harley dealers were not interested in taking a Spyder on trade. One Harley dealer however offered to put my Spyder on E Bay and sell it through the dealership so I would get the sales tax credit on the Harley. Except for the approx $100 cost to place the add the $13,500 I got on E Bay for the 08 Spyder (with lots of add on's) when combined with the $945 sales tax credit turned out to be a good way for me to go. I was fortunate in that I sold my Spyder just prior to the announcement of the new and improved touring Spyders. Prices appeared to start dropping shortly after the new model announcement. I enjoyed the Spyder and this forum (that I still read every day) but missed my previous 32 years of two wheel enjoyment. Probably not justified but I never had the peace of mind that my Spyder would make it through the next trip because of all the issues presented in the forum. I also was concerned that when "the probelm" did occurr there would not be a competent dealer anywhere near. Not complaining about the Spyder experience however and think the touring Spyder is "sweet".

Spyder Garage

I bought my to last several or more years as its Very Quick to 60 and goes as fast as I will ever need! I got a great deal in Sep 08 on my 255 HP Sea Doo that does 69 GPS and it TOO will be current for several years!!
    If you are constantly upgrading each year in todays economy you really gotta have a lot of $$$ to burn!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I also plan on keeping my Spyder until it really is a collectors item.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I also plan on keeping my Spyder until it really is a collectors item.

I wouldn't trade mine in--- especially for anything from the dark side---

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

I wouldn't trade mine in--- especially for anything from the dark side---
    It's a cool machine!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Just for grins, I went to my local Hardley shop & offered to swap my 2001 Valk (under 11K mi) & 2009 Spyder (just over 1K miles) (both with a gazillion $$ in farkles) on a new Triglide - well, first they offered more for the Valk than the Spyder, and, at the end of the pencil work, they still wanted $16K in cash.

What they offered was a wholesale figure they got from another party - "those things aren't selling, be glad you even got an offer..."

You know, for all the attention Spyders get, I think I own a collector's item - like a 1924 Rolls - everyone wants to see it, but few want to own it.... did we contribute to that???

Just offered as information - and probably more likely to occur in the great NorthWet....
    all my farkles are off of them and we were off about 5 Gs in the begining of what I was willing to dole out after about 5 hrs they met me over half way had to get owner involved who was home since it was a SundaySo it cost me about 11G when all said and done in a few days I will post why I did this deal and did not sell outright or try to

Spyder Garage

I'm always stunned by what Hardley charges for its 1946 technology. By comparison, the V-Rods are a steal - especially in the used markets.

The Triglide - in the worst motorcycle market in anyone's memory - again the comment about demand being filled is probably spot on - is priced at $36K, plus ADP. The best the stealer would do was MSRP. All this was due to branding - $12K over the RT for branding??? Sorry, but I think the RT is overpriced for what you get - (beef up the frame & I'll retract my statement).

I started this thread just as an FYI - I'd give my Spyder to one of my kids, before I'd sell it for $7K +/-. I was just miffed that HD thought my 2001 Valk was worth more than my fully farkled Spyder - I really think they were afraid to have it too close to the Triglide for customers to compare......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    ... in a few days I will post why I did this deal and did not sell outright or try to
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    It's a cool machine!
    it is a cool machine and had a lot of fun with it And it works out good for a lot of people that were not able to ride anymore or are just getting into itIt's not what you ride as long as you ride at least that was the way I was raised up in the riding worldBut I had to way how much down time I had to deal with and the Innevitable DPS issue

Spyder Garage

Considering most (gotta be in the 95+ %) Spyders don't have DPS issues - it's hardly 'inevitable'.

My HD dealer had a tri on the floor for $29,000 - but it didn't have anything on the back of it---- so I'm guessing this is bare bones. Looked really strange without the rear bags and stuff.

I can't imagine paying $30K for a bare-bones HD trike when you can get the fully loaded RT for $25K. I could never trust a conventional trike in the twisties-- so it's the Spyder for me unless Honda was to come out with a reverse trike--- would have to seriously look at it.

Ride what you like and like what you ride !

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

No stones - you ride what you want, that's why there are so many choices!

Folks on this site love the Spyder, the F6 sites, Valks, GWRRA, GWs; etc., and something draws you to one of these.

For me, it's the engineering. No one else has the fit & finish of HD - Victory is close, but... No one has the quality rep of Honda, others are closing & Honda is slipping a bit, but.... So far, no one has put as much technology into as unique a package as the CanAm Spyder, especially at the price-point. That's why I bought a Spyder - that's the draw I couldn't resist, it's why there seem to be so many technical issues, but it's what makes it such a fun ryde.

So the really important point is just ride...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Considering most (gotta be in the 95+ %) Spyders don't have DPS issues - it's hardly 'inevitable'.

My HD dealer had a tri on the floor for $29,000 - but it didn't have anything on the back of it---- so I'm guessing this is bare bones. Looked really strange without the rear bags and stuff.

I can't imagine paying $30K for a bare-bones HD trike when you can get the fully loaded RT for $25K. I could never trust a conventional trike in the twisties-- so it's the Spyder for me unless Honda was to come out with a reverse trike--- would have to seriously look at it.

Ride what you like and like what you ride !
    You are looking a the street glide version the Ultra is fully loaded and got it out the door for the street glide price all other dealers around here couldn't do better than 34'000 for ultra but just had a nice hit with there stock so its all paid for CB all included but will never use it

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I'm always stunned by what Hardley charges for its 1946 technology. By comparison, the V-Rods are a steal - especially in the used markets.

The Triglide - in the worst motorcycle market in anyone's memory - again the comment about demand being filled is probably spot on - is priced at $36K, plus ADP. The best the stealer would do was MSRP. All this was due to branding - $12K over the RT for branding??? Sorry, but I think the RT is overpriced for what you get - (beef up the frame & I'll retract my statement).

I started this thread just as an FYI - I'd give my Spyder to one of my kids, before I'd sell it for $7K +/-. I was just miffed that HD thought my 2001 Valk was worth more than my fully farkled Spyder - I really think they were afraid to have it too close to the Triglide for customers to compare......
    The fact of the matter is H-D dealers are not intrested in Metric trades not around here anyway and just wait for the junk truck to come and pick them up (wholesaler) but was in the Buisness had a Brother inlaw who owned a dealership until they cashed out about ten years ago if you want a good price neven though its still alot of money you have to shop around And it's not just Miff they have to sell it at a profit or a even wholesale my BRP dealer wouldn't neven give 8500 for it and of course I would to have to buy a RT to get that

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    When I traded mine in for the Triumph, I got $9,500. But it was worth it because I didn't have to take the responsibility for it... the dealer knew why I was selling.

They in turn sold it for $10,500, retail.

I did take most of the aftermarket stuff off and sold it separately for about 50% of original cost. Got about $3,000 for that.

I believe I am the one that bought your spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irataylor View Post
    I believe I am the one that bought your spyder.
    You are indeed! I enjoyed the telephone conversation! Get it back to Richardson MotorSports!

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    it is a cool machine and had a lot of fun with it And it works out good for a lot of people that were not able to ride anymore or are just getting into itIt's not what you ride as long as you ride at least that was the way I was raised up in the riding worldBut I had to way how much down time I had to deal with and the Innevitable DPS issue
    i dont blame u...whats the use in having a bike if all u get to do is pay the note and not ride....if i were in ur shoes i would have done something similar...since my spyder seems ok...KNOCK ON WOOD, I dont have any reason to get rid of it...but can understand why u did