Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My yellow spyder is a lemon

Well I have come to realize the used spyder I bought was one with steering problems. I realized that from reading posts and associating my trike with the previous owners posts. I had assumed that the difficulties I was having were due to a learning curve. So what is the phone number to brp? Any help would be helpful.
    I have already had a brake failure code. At least I can admire my expensive boat anchor as it sits in the driveway.
    Shoulda stayed with my triumph.
    Ohh well live and learn...

Spyder Garage

e-mail and phone # for BRP are on the home page.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Did the bike have the BEST warranty transferred over to you? If so - then you're covered--- get it fixed by the dealer. They should have gone through it prior to re-selling it.

Good luck--- hope you can get things resolved soon.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bougt it from a non cam am dealer. Just had it serviced because of the brake failure code. I didn't know enough the to flag the steering issue with the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Be sure the remaining warranty, if any, was properly transferred. The brake failure warning is usually low brake fluid. It doesn't look low, but the sensor is extremely sensitive. if it gets too low, the warning will remain after you fill the reservoir, and will be have to be cleared via BUDS by the dealer. What kind of steering problems have you experienced?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

So if that's all it is - his fluid is low and he fills it the code will remain until BUDS clears it? What a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. Be sure the remaining warranty, if any, was properly transferred. The brake failure warning is usually low brake fluid. It doesn't look low, but the sensor is extremely sensitive. if it gets too low, the warning will remain after you fill the reservoir, and will be have to be cleared via BUDS by the dealer. What kind of steering problems have you experienced?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    So if that's all it is - his fluid is low and he fills it the code will remain until BUDS clears it? What a PITA.
    Not usually, but if it gets low enough, apparently it does, according to a post here recently. There may be other factors involved, like using the brakes hard when the fluid is low. Not different than most cars. If the two halves of the system get imbalanced because of use of the brakes with a low fluid level on one side, there will be a warning that will not clear when the master cylinder is refilled.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

When my Charger needs an oil change I'll get this "go to dealer" code on my display along with an annoying chime every time I start the car. So once I get the oil changed all I have to do to clear that is tap on the gas/break pedal a few times. Too bad it can't be that simple because my dealer isn't exactly the next street over.

Not usually, but if it gets low enough, apparently it does, according to a post here recently. There may be other factors involved, like using the brakes hard when the fluid is low. Not different than most cars. If the two halves of the system get imbalanced because of use of the brakes with a low fluid level on one side, there will be a warning that will not clear when the master cylinder is refilled.

Spyder Garage

Default what about the dealership where you bought it?

So you bought this Spyder without any sort of warranty from the dealership?

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The brake failure I fixed by adding brake fluid. the code had to be reset by the BUDS. The good news is I have 3 years B.E.S.T warranty. So I am calling the dealer tomorrow and reporting a DPS problem and let them work out the bugs. If I new what I know now, I would have left it at the dealer and not driven it home, luckily the dealer is only 7 miles away.

Spyder Garage

Knowing what problems the previous owner had, I wonder if the dealer that sold you the Spyder made any attemps to fix the problem. I remember reading that he sold it with full disclosure to the buying dealer about all the issues that Spyder had. It'd be a shame to learn that they just gave it a quick "once over" and sold it as fast as they could.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irataylor View Post
    The brake failure I fixed by adding brake fluid. the code had to be reset by the BUDS. The good news is I have 3 years B.E.S.T warranty. So I am calling the dealer tomorrow and reporting a DPS problem and let them work out the bugs. If I new what I know now, I would have left it at the dealer and not driven it home, luckily the dealer is only 7 miles away.
    I enjoyed the phone conversation! Now, get it back to Richardson Motorsports for a DPS replacement!

Then, have fun.

Folks, if you remember, I traded it in to the Triumph dealer with full disclosure of the steering problems including multiple NHTSA reports... thus the low trade-in value. They originally intended to wholesale it to the BRP local dealer but... they didn't... they kept it and retailed it on their own.

And, he was not aware of the three-year, already-paid-for, BEST extension until May, 2013. He is now.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

It has to get pretty low for this to happen, I think.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Now this sounds better. :)

I have to say irataylor, this second post is much more positive than the first. Glad to hear it. I wish you the best. I love my Spyder. I've put 15,000 miles on it in just as many months.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    I enjoyed the phone conversation! Now, get it back to Richardson Motorsports for a DPS replacement!

Then, have fun.

Folks, if you remember, I traded it in to the Triumph dealer with full disclosure of the steering problems including multiple NHTSA reports... thus the low trade-in value. They originally intended to wholesale it to the BRP local dealer but... they didn't... they kept it and retailed it on their own.

And, he was not aware of the three-year, already-paid-for, BEST extension until May, 2013. He is now.
    I called the dealer and the DPS is on order (back ordered). So once it comes in the will replace it.

Spyder Garage

irataylor:

Gary at Richardson Motor Sports has been a great Service Manager to me and my Spyder. They took care of my DPS repair in short order and has serviced my Spyder with wonderful results.

David
    David
    McKinney, TX

Spyder Garage

I called the dealer and the DPS is on order (back ordered). So once it comes in the will replace it.
    Did they help you get the warranty changed over?

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

If it still has any kind of warranty, get them to change ALL the wiring. Not just from core to limbs, but limbs to wheels, too. Mine did a a wire harness change and it didn't help, they didn't bother to change every inch of harness on the machine, just the core.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Dang, AtaDude
    I had a heck of a time getting your avatar spider off the screen.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Did they help you get the warranty changed over?

I mentioned the warranty coverage, they didn't say anything about changing the coverage. I just assumed the would know what to do.

Spyder Garage

Hopefully it won't take too long before they get everything straightened out with your Spyder. The good news is you have the information directly from the original owner and he can help guide you in the right directions as well.

I also wondered what the Triumph dealer was going to do with it once they took it in on a trade.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I mentioned the warranty coverage, they didn't say anything about changing the coverage. I just assumed the would know what to do.
    I think you need to push them on the extended. The original 2-years expires in May. That's not long.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Hopefully it won't take too long before they get everything straightened out with your Spyder. The good news is you have the information directly from the original owner and he can help guide you in the right directions as well.

I also wondered what the Triumph dealer was going to do with it once they took it in on a trade.
    When I traded, they stated that they would just wholesale it to the Can AM dealer. My low trade-in certainly should have allowed that. However, something changed and they sold it themselves in about two months.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

When I traded, they stated that they would just wholesale it to the Can AM dealer. My low trade-in certainly should have allowed that. However, something changed and they sold it themselves in about two months.

I suspect they felt they may have had a golden opportunity to make some more money, strictly based on what they gave you for trade in. Unfortunately it does not sound like they took your disclosure to heart and attempted to do anything about the trouble before deciding to sell it out right.

On the bright side though, I feel it is a good thing that you and the new owner are communicating with each other and that person will no longer be in the dark about the issue.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

They can change it over but you dont have to.The best warranty stays with the bike.Thats the way it worked with my brothers can-am renegade,he bought used from a friend.Then had some repairs done for the 50 bucks.No problems.....