Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member groundeffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    1,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What does Can-Am Stand for - or just a name?

    Hi, I'm just curious to know what "Can-Am" actually stands for? Any stories behind how BRP came up with the name?

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    Yellinacha Smylinacha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Blue State Blues, USA
    Posts
    4,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Canadian American MC Company

  3. #3
    Senior Member RShrimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sarasota FL
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Generally the abreviation stands for Canadian- American.
    There used to be a racing series called Can-am. which was the the badest of the bad! 7.0 liter full bodied cars on a road course! They would make your chest vibrate! (7.0 liters=427ci)

  4. #4
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    7,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There used to be an American component to the business both with off road motorcycles and auto's. The American component has long since gone away. But Can-Am built such a great reputation, why change the name?

    I guess Americans still buy the Canadian product and so that link still remains.

    And Canada has passed up America in the Free Enterprise catagory, so it is likely that more innovative products will be coming from the other side of the border.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...



  5. #5
    Senior Member groundeffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    1,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for the replies!

    Cheers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member COOLMACHINE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Probably not an Electra 225 :)

    Quote Originally Posted by RShrimp View Post
    Generally the abreviation stands for Canadian- American.
    There used to be a racing series called Can-am. which was the the badest of the bad! 7.0 liter full bodied cars on a road course! They would make your chest vibrate! (7.0 liters=427ci)
    Of course, I don't imagine they drove any Buick Electra 225's but that's the size of my Buick engine. 7.0 liter, 425 ci.

    Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2002 Kaw Drifter 1500.

  7. #7
    Senior Member RodO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Like others have said, it's based on the recognition of how closely our 2 countries are attached.

    There's also the CanAm Highway -- see my signature. And a similar acronym for another highway, Alcan, is for the Alaska-Canadian Highway constructed during World War II that connects the contiguous U.S. to Alaska through Canada.

    Ryde safe,
    Rod.


    '08 GS SM5 Full Moon but sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon

    "I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

    CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

  8. #8
    Senior Member DannyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Never saw a Buick Electra but I did see a Gran Sport runing in the Can-Am circuit. It was raced in Canada and the states hence the name.
    Happy owner of a 08 SM5, with to much stuff to list!

  9. #9
    Member woodz428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Freedomia,Il
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RShrimp View Post
    Generally the abreviation stands for Canadian- American.
    There used to be a racing series called Can-am. which was the the badest of the bad! 7.0 liter full bodied cars on a road course! They would make your chest vibrate! (7.0 liters=427ci)
    I think they were allowed to enlarge them somewhat. They had a lot of neat powerplants. Including an Olds 455 w/FI. The Boss 429 engine was used for a short period as an all aluminum 494. Now...that was some racing.

  10. #10
    Senior Member COOLMACHINE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Alcan... yep

    Quote Originally Posted by RodO View Post
    Like others have said, it's based on the recognition of how closely our 2 countries are attached.

    There's also the CanAm Highway -- see my signature. And a similar acronym for another highway, Alcan, is for the Alaska-Canadian Highway constructed during World War II that connects the contiguous U.S. to Alaska through Canada.
    Funny you mention that Rodo. I saw a documentary on that highway and battles last weekend. I'm 46 years old I've never ever heard of it before then. We were being invaded. I was completely surprised. Something they did not teach me in my Public Education.

    Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2002 Kaw Drifter 1500.

  11. #11
    Senior Member COOLMACHINE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyS View Post
    Never saw a Buick Electra but I did see a Gran Sport runing in the Can-Am circuit. It was raced in Canada and the states hence the name.
    That would of been neat to see. When was it that you saw it?

    Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2002 Kaw Drifter 1500.

  12. #12
    Senior Member COOLMACHINE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodz428 View Post
    I think they were allowed to enlarge them somewhat. They had a lot of neat powerplants. Including an Olds 455 w/FI. The Boss 429 engine was used for a short period as an all aluminum 494. Now...that was some racing.
    Racing is right! Aluminum 494. Wow, I wonder what the difference in weight would of been between the aluminum and metal block?

    Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2002 Kaw Drifter 1500.

  13. #13
    Senior Member COOLMACHINE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default nice graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyS View Post
    Never saw a Buick Electra but I did see a Gran Sport runing in the Can-Am circuit. It was raced in Canada and the states hence the name.
    BTW DannyS,
    I like those graphics you have on your ride.

    Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2002 Kaw Drifter 1500.

  14. #14
    Senior Member DannyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks they are from Spyderdetailing.com Peter does good work. I think I saw the Buick in around 69 or 70 can't remember. It was giving away to much weight.
    Happy owner of a 08 SM5, with to much stuff to list!

  15. #15
    Senior Member RodO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COOLMACHINE View Post
    Funny you mention that Rodo. I saw a documentary on that highway and battles last weekend. I'm 46 years old I've never ever heard of it before then. We were being invaded. I was completely surprised. Something they did not teach me in my Public Education.
    We're watching your six -- it's even in our national anthem:

    The True North strong and free!
    ...
    We stand on guard for thee.

    Ryde safe,
    Rod.


    '08 GS SM5 Full Moon but sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon

    "I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

    CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •