Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default A question for all Spyder owners.

If you knew then what you know now, would you have purchased your Spyder? Yes, no, maybe.

My answer is maybe. I would have to give it more thought with the steering issues. It is a little disconcerting.

The worst thing going on when I bought mine was the noisy brakes. I figured I wasn't buying one of the earlier produced Spyders and that I would be OK. I was wrong. Six weeks of ownership and my brakes would make a god awful sound like a dying dog. I had the brakes replaced and everything was fine until the steering update. After the update I had hesitation issues and one minor steering glitch. My dealer did the update to the update but said my VIN# wasn't on the DPS switch replacement list. They delivered my Spyder to me in a trailer (snow was already falling) so I have not had it out yet to see if it runs any better.
    Overall I am very happy with my Spyder. I do feel like I am one of the lucky ones as I have not had any major things go wrong and have not had any down time during prime riding time. Another thing going for me is that it is a toy and not a major source of transportation. I also do not use it for long trips, although I may be riding the Spyder to Denver NC this summer. We'll see how that goes.
    Last edited by mxz600; 01-24-2010 at 01:24 PM.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

I would have.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, until there is going to be a real competition in the Y concept.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

'08 SM5..........
    I never had an issue with the steering, but got the #1 update anyway, which produced the spitting/sputtering at specific RPM's. The #2 update totally took care of that issue, and I've had absolutely no problems with my Spyder from that point !! (Didn't have issues before the #1 update, as far as that goes....)
    All in all, I've been completely happy with my Spyder !! I think a lot of it deals with the dealer's attitude and level of competency...... I have an exceptional dealer with a top-notch service department, and they give me a level of service that keeps me happy and confident !! (Bradford Marine in North Little Rock, Arkansas)
    And, yes......... I would go for the Spyder again in a heartbeat !!

Spyder Garage

I guess I have to say "Yes," since I just purchased the second one.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

RT-S PE#0016
    Spyder Garage

I'm with Scotty on this one. I too bought my second Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Believe it or not, even with all my moaning and groaning about the steering problems, I would buy a Spyder knowing what a do.

BRP is going to solve all the problems eventuallly. Look what Toyota is going through. One thing that doesn't help is that each dealer probably only sees a few Spyders for service. No way to be expert in repairs. Until that time that dealers are more proficient servicing, we're going to see BRP techs coming from the factory to deal with some problems.

Anyway, I do think all the problems will be solved eventually. A bit of a rough road we're rying right now. But it's going to get better.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

My Spyder replaced my ATVs which I rode for decades.. so, yes, I would. However, I would not consider purchasing another one.

Spyder Garage

I would definitely buy another one without hesitation. I only had mine for a month, and my wife was riding it enough to the point we bought her one as well.

While my car may have many more built in safety features, there is no guarantee that I won't have problems with it that could cause me to die in a car crash. Each individual needs to look at the situation and judge how much risk they are willing to take for themselves. In my case, the risk is well worth the reward and the miles of smiles I get while ryding my Spyder. It also cool to have my wife as my ryding buddy, and still be able to take our son along with us.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    If you knew then what you know now, would you have purchased your Spyder? Yes, no, maybe.

My answer is maybe. I would have to give it more thought with the steering issues. It is a little disconcerting.

The worst thing going on when I bought mine was the noisy brakes. I figured I wasn't buying one of the earlier produced Spyders and that I would be OK. I was wrong. Six weeks of ownership and my brakes would make a god awful sound like a dying dog. I had the brakes replaced and everything was fine until the steering update. After the update I had hesitation issues and one minor steering glitch. My dealer did the update to the update but said my VIN# wasn't on the DPS switch replacement list. They delivered my Spyder to me in a trailer (snow was already falling) so I have not had it out yet to see if it runs any better.
    Overall I am very happy with my Spyder. I do feel like I am one of the lucky ones as I have not had any major things go wrong and have not had any down time during prime riding time. Another thing going for me is that it is a toy and not a major source of transportation. I also do not use it for long trips, although I may be riding the Spyder to Denver NC this summer. We'll see how that goes.
    no ,brp does not have good customer follow up.

Spyder Garage

Buy again for sure !!!

Hope to get a RTS in the late summer, early fall ,when hopefully the price comes down and there hasn't been and serious problems.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Got mine in December '09 knowing I may have problems...and would do it again...
    2019 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

I would again in a New York minute. I understand the issues with being an early adopter. I'm amazed every day when a new person on the streets sees it and asks questions like a kid on Christmas morning.

This sucker is really unique, fun and I really love it
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes, absolutely. When I'm not riding my snowmobile I'm thinking about riding my Spyder this spring.
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I plan on keeping my Spyder for 5 years (when the extended warrantee runs out.) I will buy another Spyder at that time, under 2 conditions: that all the steering issues are properly, completely resolved, and that maintenance and part delivery times are shortened. Otherwise, going on extended trips is worrysome.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I purchased my Spyder a year and a half ago. I have a history with BRP. I knew what i was getting into,
    I bought the concept, reverse trike.
    Will i buy another Spyder no'' I'll just run this one till ????
    BMW brings one here,, reverse trike [ rumors this year]
    Or until someone else does. Nothing against BRP it was a great first try;
    but I'm not going to trade in a 15 thousand $ Spyder for a 25 thousand $
    Spyder hoping they got it right the second time around.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I would buy it again - I love riding the Spyder and it has saved my butt at least twice - once on black ice where 3 guys on bikes went down in front and behind me and on an emegency stop that would have been to short a distance for a 2 wheeler.
    The money spent and possible injury that may have come from the above has me sold on the fun AND safety of the Spyder

Spyder Garage

Best Thing I ever did!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Best Thing I ever did!!!
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Absolutely!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Yup, I do it again. It was a good deal, fun ride and I just wanted one. Nothing that went wrong I couldn't handle yet. Have the extended warrenty to back me up. I will be trying to put as many miles on it as I can before the warrenty run out.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Without hesitation, having way to much fun with it.

Spyder Garage

Yep, but traded in th GS 09 for the RT-S!

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I guess I have to say "Yes," since I just purchased the second one.
    -Scotty
    Happy owner of 2010 Spyder RT-S
    & co-owner of 2008 Spyder GS
    Hey Scotty, is Nancy Happy owner of 2008 Spyder GS
    & co-owner of 2010 Spyder RT-S Just wonderin'
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Default Tax Incentive for most of 2009 Spyders

For all who purchase Spyders after April 2009 you get to take off your taxes double the tax you paid on your Spyder when you do your taxes. Part of *****'s Stimulation package.
    Happy Spyder Owner:2014 Black Spyder RTS SE6
    Previous Spyder:2009 Red SE5 Mods- Chad windshield;12 volt adapter, 2 Brothers exhaust