Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Question about the sterring problem

Ive read all the posts concerning the steering problems some of you guys have been having. Today while backing my spyder out of the storage building I had something happen that I have not seen discussed on here before (if it has and I missed it I apologize). My shop building has double doors that are exactly six foot wide, so its a tight fit to get her in and out. While attempting to back out I tried to line the spyder up with the door but I couldnt because the handle bars would not move to either side. Its like something was physically holding it in place. I kept trying to move the bars and it eventually let go. My question is has anyone experienced this before and should this be a concern. My spyder only has 2800 miles on her and I have not experienced any other problems before today. To be completely honest I was scared to take her out after this and decided not to until I could get some feed back. I wonder if this could be the start of some of the same problems others have had.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cwhcwh View Post
    Ive read all the posts concerning the steering problems some of you guys have been having. Today while backing my spyder out of the storage building I had something happen that I have not seen discussed on here before (if it has and I missed it I apologize). My shop building has double doors that are exactly six foot wide, so its a tight fit to get her in and out. While attempting to back out I tried to line the spyder up with the door but I couldnt because the handle bars would not move to either side. Its like something was physically holding it in place. I kept trying to move the bars and it eventually let go. My question is has anyone experienced this before and should this be a concern. My spyder only has 2800 miles on her and I have not experienced any other problems before today. To be completely honest I was scared to take her out after this and decided not to until I could get some feed back. I wonder if this could be the start of some of the same problems others have had.
    Sounds like it. That pretty well explains what happens. Mine was never that severe, but some others on here have been. Get it to the dealer and hopefully yours will be one of the "simple" fixes.

What year and model is your Spyder? Sorry if it is in your signature or somewhere, I didn't see it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by txknight67 View Post
    Sounds like it. That pretty well explains what happens. Mine was never that severe, but some others on here have been. Get it to the dealer and hopefully yours will be one of the "simple" fixes.

What year and model is your Spyder? Sorry if it is in your signature or somewhere, I didn't see it.
    Thats what I was afraid of,I have a 2008 manual. Thanks for the response.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Have you taken it in for the recall?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeah its up to date on the recalls.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a good sign your having problems. I couldn't turn my handlebars either, when stopped and for me it got worse over time and I had a lockup. I have an '08 SM5 and it was used as a demo before I bought it with 260 miles on it. From day one it was always hard to steer and the recall did nothing to change it, except it picked up a problem with the original DPS. After leaving the dealership, I started getting a scroll on my dash, to "Check DPS". I took it back and they couldn't find a problem, sending me on my way. Four days later the steering locked up and they had to replace the power steering unit. If that's what you need, nows the time to get it done while it's still under the warranty. My advice get it in as soon as you can. It does get worse over time. If I knew than what I know now, I would have left it at the dealership, rather than experience the lockup.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of the steering issue on your spyder. Contact your dealer about it, but I also recommend contacting BRP support team directly to let them know of the issue. They are very helpful on answering general questions and they are aware of the recent increased number of steering issues (as stated by their phone recording), so they are practically waiting for your call. I have faith they will help you.

They can be reached at their support number: 1-866-767-0707
    Their email address is: spydertechsupport@brp.com

Ryde safe, and if you feel unsafe ryding to the dealer, by all means request a tow. Do not risk unnecessary harm on yourself.

Hope that helps and best of luck getting the problem fixed in minimal time.
    Cheers.

Spyder Garage

In general.... For all those who have had steering issue: Are the steering issue 'lock ups' and 'resistance' commonly seen at higher or lower speeds?

Thanks and Ryde safe.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    In general.... For all those who have had steering issue: Are the steering issue 'lock ups' and 'resistance' commonly seen at higher or lower speeds?

Thanks and Ryde safe.
    Its all over the map. Mine was highway speeds only, but I saw several that had it backing out of the driveway or puttering around town.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Same year and model as mine. I would have them check for GPS faults. That seems to have fixed mine....so far....knock on wood.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeah its up to date on the recalls.
    Contact the NHTSA as well.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the responses guys. I was thinking all of the problems were happening at highway speeds but I guess I was mistaken. Oh well, I guess I have a 50 mile trip to the dealer in my near future. I will also be sure to report this to the NHTSA as well.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

Spyder Garage

If you file the report online, the Spyder is listed under cars, not motorcycles. Please file a report.

Most of my steering resistance problems were at road speed ( 50 to 80 mph) but I did have a couple of instances under 30 mph. Some have reported resistance while stopped that goes away as soon as the machine begins to move forward.

Waiting for parts.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders