Spyder Garage

Default David Hough's on a Spyder

David Hough (author of "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling" is now ryding a Spyder.

He posted a blog on the BRP site:

<http://spyder.brp.com/en-CA/Share/Community/Team-Blog/Blog-Entry.html?EntryID=3ae0e239-6755-4afe-8144-5af6e4869d91&Dummy=1>

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

David Hough has posted a thread about his experience riding the Spyder over on the BMW forum at www.bmwmoa.org. Do a search under the term: spydering. His last post was particularly compelling and, with his permission, I am posting it here for your reading pleasure:

"Dyed-in-the-wool motorcyclists who have never expanded their knowledge beyond two wheels often approach the idea of a three-wheeler as if it would take all the fun out of riding. That may be because so many equate fun with aggressive cornering--with the bike leaned over to adrenaline-pumping traction limits. A big part of the reality is that most of the time, even on a bike, we're riding more-or-less straight roads.

More to the point, there are things in life that are "fun" other than leaning around corners. IMHO, drifting a rig or trike around a corner is just as much fun, expecially if the vehicle gives me more confidence to poke at the envelope without unreasonable risks. Hacking or triking may be more "fun" than if I were riding aggressively but constantly concerned about punching through the narrower limits and having to deal with the huge aftermath of a little error. I took up sidecars years ago, well before my body began to announce that it wasn't going to put up with the same old stuff anymore. So, I've enjoyed the fun of hacking not because I was forced to give up bikes, but because hacks are tremendously enjoyable. I still own and ride a two wheeler in addition to the sidecar rig and Spyder.

It's not quite that simple, of course. Those of us who are pushing up into our old age are finding our leg strength, sense of balance, vision, etc. are less reliable. We know the odds all too well, and we've seen too many hazards to have continuing confidence that we can beat the odds again today on a bike. Maybe we've had a nasty crash or two, and were shocked at the pain and expense. Those who just continue riding the same bike, say a K12LT or R1200RS, may find it easier and easier to find excuses to NOT take the ride today.

A sidecar outfit or trike adds a huge measure of confidence that we can beat the odds, not just of having a collision, but of not dropping the bike in the parking lot in front of our friends, or being passed because we're seen as being too cautious. One of the great advantages of belonging to the BMW fraternaty is that BMW riders tend to have the maturity to understand that trikes and rigs are a legitimate part of motorcycling, even if anyone chooses to not get into a three-wheeler. I don't look down my nose at riders who simply give up motorcycling when the odds seem too high, or the fun seems too low. I do look down my nose at people who run down any type of vehicle without knowing anything about them.

Yes, a three-wheeler takes more skill to drive than a bike, and a sidecar rig takes even more skill because it's not symmetrical. Imagine all the knowledge and skill you absorbed to learn how to ride a two-wheeler proficiently, and double that for a three-wheeler.

I don't see that as a negative. I see it as a positive that I have skills and knowledge in addition to that required for two wheelers.

pmdave"

He also noted that he has been accepted without problem at BMW rallies while riding his Spyder. That is not unusual as BMW rallies attract riders from many different makes of bikes. He asks whether the reception would be as warm if he showed up at a Spyder rally on a BMW. Interesting thought.
    Dan

pitbull

He asks whether the reception would be as warm if he showed up at a Spyder rally on a BMW. Interesting thought.
    Of coarse, Spyder people are the most open minded excepting to all....wether you have to go to a spyder or just want to be on a spyder, or your ryding a 2 wheeler, this group is cool with whatever your reason......thats why we call it the spyder family....most spyder people wave at everyone.....even when some of the others seem to be to good to wave back Bottom line, this group has ridden them all and doesn't have a cold shoulder to anyone.....they all, and we all, have ridden and owend them all!!!
    Last edited by pitbull; 06-23-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just have to watch out for the HOOLIGANS !
    Happy Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by the pitbull buggy View Post
    Of coarse, Spyder people are the most open minded excepting to all....wether you have to go to a spyder or just want to be on a spyder, or your ryding a 2 wheeler, this group is cool with whatever your reason......thats why we call it the spyder family....most spyder people wave at everyone.....even when some of the others seem to be to good to wave back Bottom line, this group has ridden them all and doesn't have a cold shoulder to anyone.....they all, and we all, have ridden and owend them all!!!
    I believe that's true. In the first place, many Spyder riders also own and ride two wheelers. I own a couple of BMW's and a Honda dirt bike. I continue to ride them all but the Spyder is the choice for two up touring because I don't have to worry about dropping it in the parking lot with my wife on board and it's a more comfortable touring bike than the R1100 BMW. Secondly, as David Hough pointed out about BMW riders, Spyder riders as a group tend to be older and more mature.

Leave it to David Hough to accurately articulate the reasons that many of us choose to ride on 3 wheels and also to point out the fact that it may take more skill, not less, to ride a 3 wheeler than a 2 wheeler.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I believe that's true. In the first place, many Spyder riders also own and ride two wheelers. I own a couple of BMW's and a Honda dirt bike. I continue to ride them all but the Spyder is the choice for two up touring because I don't have to worry about dropping it in the parking lot with my wife on board and it's a more comfortable touring bike than the R1100 BMW. Secondly, as David Hough pointed out about BMW riders, Spyder riders as a group tend to be older and more mature.

Leave it to David Hough to accurately articulate the reasons that many of us choose to ride on 3 wheels and also to point out the fact that it may take more skill, not less, to ride a 3 wheeler than a 2 wheeler.

Cotton
    I think Spyder Riders are more "Out of the Box" thinkers (at least in the transportation arena) than the average 2 wheeled rider (of which some can be obnoxiously narrow minded). This gives us the ability to live and let live and appreciate that everyone should be able to ride what they enjoy without ridicule. Even if it isn't something you or I would want.

The only time I shake my head is when a rider is obvioiusly not able to handle their vehicle, and it is obvious that (A) it is just a matter of time till they crash and (B) they are too scared to have any real pleasure.

But I have to disagree with David Hough on the skill level required to ride 3 wheels. There is no question in my mind that the skill level required to ride the Spyder safely is far below what is required to ride a 2 wheeled machine.

I don't say this to belittle or degrade anyone. But it appears to me a simple fact. Now to ride the Spyder hard and get the most out of it does take a fair amount more skill but still, compared to riding a 2 wheeled machine to the same potential I have to say the Spyder is still much less demanding.

Now if David is talking about conventional 3 wheelers I may still not agree completely but we would be closer of mind in that case. And I've heard a side car can be a real bear. Have not ridden one so I don't know first hand.

The biggest thing I come away with about all of this is the fact that the Spyder is getting ever more consideration from all sectors as a legitimate option for ANYONE!

The Spyder is not just for someone who cannot handle 2 wheels. Instead, it is a preferred ride for nearly anyone who will give it a fair try.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Trikes and Sidecars

After more than twenty years with side cars and more than one trip into Canada from South Florida I can agree sidecars can be Bears to ride due in part to the pendulum effect of the side car off to on one side. It drags when taking off and will try to go forward of the cycle when stopping even with brakes on the third wheel. With and without a passenger adds to the inbalance. Good trikes (without really long front ends) and Spyders are a lot less work to ride. IMHO

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ditto on a bear sometimes with sidecar! I've rode 2 wheels, sidecar and now my new Spyder and lovin each ride