Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default LIMP Mode - Can you explain?

LIMP Mode - Can you explain?

1) What is LIMP mode, anyway?

2) What happens when the Spyder goes into LIMP mode WHILE RIDING?
    For example, if a DPS acts up, does the Spyder go into LIMP mode?

3) Would could cause the Spyder to go into LIMP mode?

Thank you in advance, for replies on this thread, everyone.
    Cheers.

Spyder Garage

Mine went into LIMP mode once on the freeway at about 65MPH. It was an immediate cut to acceleration power and the Spyder slowed down gradually. The code claimed it was a brake failure issue, it was not. I pulled off the road, turned it off, took the key out, waited a few minutes, then fired it back up and it was okay. This was very early on and hasn't happened since. Never even figured out why it happened.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

1) What is LIMP mode, anyway?
    It allows the Sypder to operate in a limited capacity to allow you to safely move off the road or not leave you stranded in a remote area.

2) What happens when the Spyder goes into LIMP mode WHILE RIDING?
    For example, if a DPS acts up, does the Spyder go into LIMP mode?
    The Spyder will not allow you to accelerate past 30 MPH (I believe this is the limit). It will also limit the rate that you accelerate. The dash will display LIMP MODE. I am not aware of any Spyder going into LIMP mode when the DPS unit malfuntioned.

3) Would could cause the Spyder to go into LIMP mode?
    The Spyder overheating is one issue that I am aware of.
    Last edited by ntxYguy2009; 01-06-2010 at 03:15 PM.
    David
    McKinney, TX

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

i could be wrong but i heard it goes into limp mode for blown headlights,taillights,brake lights,signals lights,low brake fluid, low pressure master cylinder switch( i think thats what it's called) dps and a host of other censors. As far as im concerned the only reason limp mode should activate is when the motor is gonna blow. PERIOD.
    Think about it, who wants limp mode when your doing 60-70mph on a freeway surrounded by cars and all of sudden you drop down to 30 mph.. for a stupid dps malfunction or blown light of some sort.

Limp mode is stupid and could get ya killed. I can see a warning message( which is fine by me) but to slow the bike down for a sensor or light.. Thats just dumb.

Our cars dont do that...

Spyder Garage

My bike went into limp mode on the freeway - doing 65+ (), three miles from the dealer, after my one and only software update. The Spyder would reset, run for 1/2 mile, then shut down again - a slow acceleration and 35mph tops. It took three "installs" before the Spyder would continue to run properly. Hasn't done it since...

"Mother" has determined that if any of the computer assisted systems malfunctions, you can not ride over 35mph safely, but the "limp mode" allows you to get the Spyder moved somewhere safe (like home or a shop), albeit slowly....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

makes you want to get rid of mother doesn't it.

How did it feel when mother took over?
    Like i said , i think limp mode should only come into play when the motor is gonna blow. I can't stand all the stupid things lately the spyder's have been doing. I am stuck with this bike, i have zero choice for anything else to ride.

Spyder Garage

Mine has never gone into Limp Mode (knock on wood so far)!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ferno View Post
    Limp mode is stupid and could get ya killed. I can see a warning message( which is fine by me) but to slow the bike down for a sensor or light.. Thats just dumb.

I don't understand why we need a "limp home" mode either. I guess it's to prevent damage to the Spyder but I can see it more as a liability than an asset.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ferno View Post
    i could be wrong but i heard it goes into limp mode for blown headlights,taillights,brake lights,signals lights,low brake fluid, low pressure master cylinder switch( i think thats what it's called) dps and a host of other censors. As far as im concerned the only reason limp mode should activate is when the motor is gonna blow. PERIOD.
    Think about it, who wants limp mode when your doing 60-70mph on a freeway surrounded by cars and all of sudden you drop down to 30 mph.. for a stupid dps malfunction or blown light of some sort.

Our cars dont do that...
    I can attest to the fact that it doesn't go into limp for blown lights. Have had both brake/tail lights go out and nothing. Also currently have the license plate light out and still no limp....maybe that's what is causing my steering issue!
    A VERY HAPPY RIDER!
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid - Cody Stell

'08 Yellow SM5, 2" BRP handlebar riser, Super Trapp exhaust, sport rack, seat back.
    Future wish list of updates, too numerous to list and too expensive to afford....and I just found Corbin.

Spyder Garage

I think limp mode should be only for overheating.Because after overheating is engine failure and its gona stop anyway....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default LIMP MODE

A blowen fuse for tail light or plate light would put the bike into limp mode.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by txknight67 View Post
    I can attest to the fact that it doesn't go into limp for blown lights. Have had both brake/tail lights go out and nothing. Also currently have the license plate light out and still no limp....maybe that's what is causing my steering issue!
    Perhaps it is. Was it blown fuses, or just the bulbs burnt out?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Perhaps it is. Was it blown fuses, or just the bulbs burnt out?
    Just bulbs burnt out. I haven't had any of the fuse problems I have been reading about. I probably just jinxed myself.
    A VERY HAPPY RIDER!
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid - Cody Stell

'08 Yellow SM5, 2" BRP handlebar riser, Super Trapp exhaust, sport rack, seat back.
    Future wish list of updates, too numerous to list and too expensive to afford....and I just found Corbin.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by txknight67 View Post
    Just bulbs burnt out. I haven't had any of the fuse problems I have been reading about. I probably just jinxed myself.
    I sure hope not.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

I don't understand why we need a "limp home" mode either. I guess it's to prevent damage to the Spyder but I can see it more as a liability than an asset.

100%
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

On the SM5 Spyder, you can pull in the clutch and coast while Mother does her thing - keeps the lifted Hummer on your tail outside of that orifice a bit longer - while you try to get off the main lanes. Fortunately, I was in the left lane when it happened to me - so I could limp off at the next exit. I can't imagine what it would be like on a SE...

BTW, the Spyder pops, sputters, and sounds REALLY bad while you are pushing the limit in limp mode - EVERYONE looks and those are NOT the kind of looks Sypder ryders are used to ......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hondaman View Post
    I think limp mode should be only for overheating.Because after overheating is engine failure and its gona stop anyway....
    Mine overheated once. Just got the red warning light and a bad smell. No limp mode that I know of. Wasn't going very fast when it overheated though.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Mine overheated once. Just got the red warning light and a bad smell. No limp mode that I know of. Wasn't going very fast when it overheated though.

thank you for your reply.

What made it overheat?

How did you cool it down?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Never had a "Limp Mode" episode but I agree that the liabilty exceeds the benefit in most cases.

I'd rather see idiot lights (which I can relate to - please, no affermation is necessary here) and maybe a limp mode for something really serious like overheated engine or low oil pressure.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    What made it overheat?
    Going slow, stop and go on very hot days for extended periods can get the Spyder hot. I've changed my coolant mix to disapate heat more readily making the fan more effectifve at slow speeds. Can't say this will eleminate all heating issues but sure made a difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    How did you cool it down?
    Usually, all it takes is getting up a little speed. If you can do 30~40mph for a bit temps should drop. If you can do freeway speed they drop even quicker.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Do you mean idiot lights like the VSS indicator that was flashing at me most of the time I was ryding the Dragon? It took a little while for me to figure out what that meant, but I didn't pay enough attention to it to slow down any.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Do you mean idiot lights like the VSS indicator that was flashing at me most of the time I was ryding the Dragon? It took a little while for me to figure out what that meant, but I didn't pay enough attention to it to slow down any.
    The VSS light wasn't limp mode. It was the Vehicle Stability System, lovingly known as "Nanny", kicking in to keep you on your steering line, and not get in over your head. This is what it was designed to do.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

BillGargan

Lamont, My only "bike" experience prior to my Spyder was a 75 Suzuki GT380 that I used till 85 or so. To your knowledge, does any other machine (bike, boat, car, etc) have this limp-mode as one of it's functions? I personally have never seen it. Bill Gargan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BillGargan View Post
    Lamont, My only "bike" experience prior to my Spyder was a 75 Suzuki GT380 that I used till 85 or so. To your knowledge, does any other machine (bike, boat, car, etc) have this limp-mode as one of it's functions? I personally have never seen it. Bill Gargan
    http://www.google.com/search?q=limp-...ient=firefox-a

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down #$%^

Both mine and wifes Spyder went into "limp" because of low battery voltage. Rode about 8 miles at NO MORE than 49mph as the motor cut out above 49mph.