Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DPS roulette

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation DPS roulette

Yesterday at 0745 traveling south on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge I was trying to pass a car in the fast lane and the Spyder refused to move to the right lane. After 2-3 attempts of she moved 5 degrees right and suddenly drifts 10-15 degrees to the left. This situation repeats 3-4 times during the next 200 miles. Is time to visit the CAN-AM dealer.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Yesterday at 0745 traveling south on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge I was trying to pass a car in the fast lane and the Spyder refused to move to the right lane. After 2-3 attempts of she moved 5 degrees right and suddenly drifts 10-15 degrees to the left. This situation repeats 3-4 times during the next 200 miles. Is time to visit the CAN-AM dealer.

Glad you're ok and you maintained control of your vehicle!!

These steering issues are really starting to make me think..........

Spyder Garage

Default Steering

These steering issues are becoming epidemic.

Something is going to have to give before someone really gets hurt or worse.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Are BRP not providing a 'resolution' in the recalls and bulletins as replacing the DPS units? Clearly the issue remains, even with their suggested fix and new DPS units. This is disappointing.

I could be wrong, but perhaps some kind of notice or release from BRP stating their progress on the permanent fix of this safety problem and their devotion to fixing the problem would be a good avenue for them to explore?

Thanks again for your time.
    Ride safe.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Doc, glad you made it home safe. I had the trailer ready for a pickup if needed. See ya at Joes today. The Skyway bridge is no place for steering issues. Also, thanks for the call when you told me about the DPS problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Doc, glad you made it home safe. I had the trailer ready for a pickup if needed. See ya at Joes today. The Skyway bridge is no place for steering issues. Also, thanks for the call when you told me about the DPS problem.
    When 20K miles away I had the GPS issue (engine light+ E error) the steering was frozen turning right 10-15 degrees. Yesterday it was different, the Spyder was trying to "fight back" drifting in the opposite direction.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

WOW!

It's funny that the morning that I put up the post asking if it would be a good idea for BRP to step up and offer extended coverage for DPS units because many are not failing right away.

You (who without speaking to me about your problem) just put this post up about your "adventure" yesterday. This is the perfect example of why I asked that question.

Your Spyder which was fine for the longest time, now at almost 65K seems to have the same DPS problem as many of the others at much lower miles have had. This only shows that just because a bike was good for a long time is no assurance it still won't happen.

I know you got the extended warranty Doc, but it just goes to show that even machines that have seemed OK for the longest time can have this problem pop up out of the blue/ I think extended coverage for this would really go a long way to make everybody feel better for sure.

I hope your Spyder gets fixed soon!

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 01-07-2010 at 02:21 PM.
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When 20K miles away I had the GPS issue (engine light+ E error) the steering was frozen turning right 10-15 degrees. Yesterday it was different, the Spyder was trying to "fight back" drifting in the opposite direction.
    Doc, that described my problem just right. Its like 2 parts were fighting each other for control with me in the middle. Very unnerving to say the least. Did you get the notchy feeling in the middle, like something was binding?

Spyder Garage

The DPS really isn't necessary for most of us - I've put some miles on my Spyder with the fuse pulled. I've seen so many posts about the issue, that I've added a toggle switch to the circuit. If my system acts up, I'll just turn it off.

My concern - since I have yet to experience the failure - is the problem really with the DPS, or are the brakes kicking in, sensing some other type of stability issue?

Perhaps this really isn't a (or just a) DPS issue? Any thoughts??

Spyder Garage

Default At wits end

I was going to start my own post about my issues but I'll drop it here.
    As some of you know I've had steering issues twice reported to BRP. Carlo has been very polite and on the second issue set up a conference call w/ me and Action Powersports in Savannah. I now have to go to them because my local shop, Hilton Head Motorsports shut their doors (and left me paying $1500 for 2 out of six services on their preferred service plan, but that 's another irritating story)

The three of us are on the phone and Carlo tells the guy that BRP will pay for the service and the trailering to get my repaired. Great!
    I state I'll need to check my schedule and call back to set a time/date for my Spyder pickup. I call back the next day,Dec. 23, and tell the service manager that I have wed. the 30th off, he says ok, the wait, that won't do because they will be closed the ENTIRE week. Ok...my next day off that they are open is (today) jan. 5.. he says ok, just call me back on that day and I'll send a trailer up to you as he doesn't keep appointments.

So now I have had over a week to think about it, and it all plays out just as I thought it would. I call today, I have to jar his memory on who I am, I remind him of the steering issue, and he says he thinks he can get thetoday. I ask him, what are you going to do once you get it?
    He says we'll check it out and probably order the DPS.

I figured that since they knew about the issue since before Christmas, had a conference call w/ BRP stating that BRP will pick up the tab to make my Spyder right, that they would have the part or order it.

Silly me.

In the nearly two weeks of having my Spyder in my garage, I have taken it out several times for short rydes. I've made a log detailing any issue. from the 26th til jan 2 it ran with no problems. Jan. 3 the power steering seemed like it was off for the first 10 minutes of ryding. I haven't had a steering issue since Dec. 24. What I didn't want happening was for me to have my Spyder trailered 60 miles away and have them call to say they can't find any problem. When I do ryde it, I am in Beaufort, a small coastal town where i know the roads and have people to call if I have issues. I still won't ryde it to another city or get on the freeway. Been there, done that, and DON"T want to do it again.

I ALSO didn't want to have my Spyder trailered 60 miles away and THEN have to wait for parts to be ordered.

All I want is 2 things:
    my to be road worthy and for me to be able to take it out of town and ryde it without fear or death or injury due to a malfuntioning Spyder, and, competent service for my .
    Am I asking too much?
    I ended up reminding the service manager of our conference call and he then asked me for my VIN # and he said he'd call me back by the end of the day to let me know if/when they could get the part from BRP.
    Anyone wanna bet that he forgets to call me back? I'll call at 5pm today to see if he's called yet.
    My confidence is waning on the service aspect of my ryde.

In the meantime, until apart arrives, I'll continue to putter around town on my like I was riding a friggin golf cart.
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    The DPS really isn't necessary for most of us - I've put some miles on my Spyder with the fuse pulled. I've seen so many posts about the issue, that I've added a toggle switch to the circuit. If my system acts up, I'll just turn it off.

My concern - since I have yet to experience the failure - is the problem really with the DPS, or are the brakes kicking in, sensing some other type of stability issue?

That is a interesting theory.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

All I want is 2 things:
    my to be road worthy and for me to be able to take it out of town and ryde it without fear or death or injury due to a malfuntioning Spyder, and, competent service for my .
    Am I asking too much?

Not At All.

Spyder Garage

Hi.

Sorry, I'm confused. You mentioned you have not experienced, however, you mentioned you have switched the DPS circuit off when it was acting up. Please explain.

And Two questions for you, so I understand:
    1) Have you had the DPS steering issues - where you can't steer for a period of time, or you find yourself noticible fighting the power steering on your Spyder?

2) If you said YES to 1 from above; Have you had ANY steering issues when you have the DPS switched OFF?

3) How long have you gone with the switch turned off, disabling the DPS circuit and system?

Thanks for your time and ride safe.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Glad your ok. Then what wait 8 weeks for a fixthat realey isn't a fix

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    Then what wait 8 weeks for a fixthat realey isn't a fix
    Why not, I have. Might as well join the club. Patience should be part of there marketing slogan, better have some or not buy.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    6 Spoke rims with wheel trim kit, Hindle exhaust, F1 EVO Slide windshield,
    Evoluzione Swaybar, Anti-vibe bar weights, 1" brp riser, Spider anti-vibe grips, Pyle series speakers w/200 watt amp.
    SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by stgilmer View Post
    Why not, I have. Might as well join the club. Patience should be part of there marketing slogan, better have some or not buy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stgilmer View Post

Why is the wait time sooo long?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    Why is the wait time sooo long?

Your guess is as good as mine. Dps got changed out a week or 2 after leaving it. Then I was called to come pick it up, got there, started to start it and check dps scrolled. Was then hooked to BUDS, it said change dps. I came home. Got a call later that day, brp says change GPS not DPS. At this time I am to believe that they are still waiting on the GPS. And now I am being told that to be prepared if the GPS doesn't stop the check dps, then another dps will be tried. KEYWORD: TRIED!

See, it's warranty work, so if the dealer doesn't have specifics of what to do, it sets. Or if they have "Paying customers" in front of you, it sets. Don't blame them on that, Money Talks, right??
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    6 Spoke rims with wheel trim kit, Hindle exhaust, F1 EVO Slide windshield,
    Evoluzione Swaybar, Anti-vibe bar weights, 1" brp riser, Spider anti-vibe grips, Pyle series speakers w/200 watt amp.
    SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

See, it's warranty work, so if the dealer doesn't have specifics of what to do, it sets. Or if they have "Paying customers" in front of you, it sets. Don't blame them on that, Money Talks, right??[/QUOTE]

Yes money talks just like it did when i bought the Spyder. you would think that they would want to speak with my money agine but at this rate they not get to.
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue

Spyder Garage

Doc,
    That is basically what happened to me. I was passing a semi on the interstate. It was a cold windy day. The first time I almost wrecked when the system resisted, then over corrected. I just thought it was road irregularities and wind. Then when it happened again before I got around the semi I noticed the lane was smooth and didn't feel the wind was bad enough to cause what was going on. As the day progressed and it happened more and more I realized it was the power steering. I take mine to the dealer this afternoon. Good Luck with yours.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

sab:
    I take mine to the dealer this afternoon
    Good luck, and please feel free to post the results from what your dealer.
    Ride safe.
    Cheers.

Way2Fast

This was my theory some months ago. I think BRP is barking up the wrong tree by thinking all the steering problems are due to the DPS, when in reality it is the stability control that is causing part of the problems. It is applying just enough braking force to one of the front wheels to make the vehicle change course and causing the operator to "fight" to recover from the directional change. It only takes a small brake drag to cause this. Similiar to an old car that pulls to the right or left when the brakes are applied during a stop. I am a firm believer that a computers only safe place is on a desk. As more and more computer equipped vehicles age, problems caused by runaway computers are sure to multiply.....traction control...stability control...and every other computer controlled device in the modern automobile will come back and bite us !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    Good luck, and please feel free to post the results from what your dealer. Ride safe. Cheers.
    Bad news from the dealer: DPS on backorder, ETA unknown...
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Glad you got home ok! I remember the Skyway Bridge - the OLD one. My folks live down there and I remember being little when we used to go on vacation before they moved down there. That thing was scary! Been on the new one too and that is no place for things to start going haywire. Did you file the report?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by musicarcade View Post
    from the 26th til jan 2 it ran with no problems.

Jan. 3 the power steering seemed like it was off for the first 10 minutes of ryding. I haven't had a steering issue since Dec. 24. What I didn't want happening was for me to have my Spyder trailered 60 miles away and have them call to say they can't find any problem.

All I want is 2 things:
    Am I asking too much?

I ended up reminding the service manager of our conference call and he then asked me for my VIN # and he said he'd call me back by the end of the day to let me know if/when they could get the part from BRP.
    Anyone wanna bet that he forgets to call me back? I'll call at 5pm today to see if he's called yet.
    My confidence is waning on the service aspect of my ryde.

Yep - when mine happened in TN, the tech down there downloaded something into it (I have no idea what it was) and the ride back to CT was uneventful but I was nervous! And then when HDX took it to the dealer nothing happened. When the tech from BRP came to ryde it - nothing happened. But they still replaced the DPS. I haven't ridden it much since because it is now cold and snowy. But I'm not 100% trusting with it come next season - gonna take me a while to gain trust back - especially when we are ryding on the highway somewhere at good speeds.

You are NOT asking too much. You spent good money on something you want to be reliable and SAFE.

I really like my dealer so at least I have that going for me. If I had a dealer like that, I'd go elsewhere but it sounds to me that is the only dealer near you.

Just please be safe - even if you are tooling around town.