Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My Turn To Have Power Steering Problems

The three core ryders for the Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders (myself, wbbrn1952 and Capt. John) went for a little outing yesterday. I know us southern folks aren't supposed to ride when it's in the 30's but we are trying to break stereotypes. I was the warmest of the bunch as I used to live in VA. and rode year round there. I still have good cold weather gear. (I digress) My PE edition Spyder has had both updates. During our ryde my Spyder began to drift left and resist moving back to the right in the lane. It would over correct when it finally moved back right. Having read previous threads I attempted to minimize this, but it was difficult. The frequency of the problem increased as we rode. I carry a spare relay and tried to solve the problem by replacing the relay. Capt. John had power steering problems and has had over 4k trouble free miles since replacing his relay. I was not getting any messages on my display, no limp mode, all apparently normal except that the power steering was NOT right. When the relay replacement did not help I removed the fuse for the DPS. Having read previous threads, I felt it was better to ryde home without power steering than to have an accident because of it malfunctioning. The ryde home with the DPS fuse pulled was different, as I had never ridden without power steering before. The part that surprised me and is the main reason for the post is that, even with the DPS fuse pulled I still sometimes had resistance to moving right. I did not expect that and do not remember it being something mentioned in previous posts. I did not drift left any more. I did not have over correction any more. I did continue to sometimes have resistance to moving right. I am dropping my Spyder off at my dealer (Pensacola Motor Sports) tomorrow afternoon. I will post as the situation progresses.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

#1. I'm glad you did not get hunt.

#2. Sorry to hear you are having the issue come up... ever AFTER the updateS.

#3. Good idea removing the fuse to the DPS system to TRY and eliminate the issue of uncontrollable steering inputs from the system.

#4.
    I did continue to sometimes have resistance to moving right
    VERY interesting.

I wish you the best of luck at the dealer and I've very interested to see what THEY AND BRP says about the issue - even though the fuse for DPS was pulled.

thank you and good luck, and ride safe.
    Cheers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    ... even with the DPS fuse pulled I still sometimes had resistance to moving right.
    I had the same problem and reported it here. Never heard of others. Just you and me, bud.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your plight. Your actions may shed a little more light on the problem. Sounds like some mechanical difficulties in addition to the DPS issues. Maybe they have been looking at this whole deal too simplistically.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Sorry to hear of your plight. Your actions may shed a little more light on the problem. Sounds like some mechanical difficulties in addition to the DPS issues. Maybe they have been looking at this whole deal too simplistically.

IMHO, this NEEDS to be brought to someone who can REALLY look into this, at BRP(Can-AM).

Lamonster, is this new information on this, can we take this up the ladder to BRP???

Cheers everyone.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your problem, we are going through the same thing right now. On my way back from the dealer today, it got so bad that it seemed that the steering was stuck all the time. I had a difficult time, but mine was hard to correct to the left, right did not seem as bad (I think). I got a note from wwbrn1952 a while back and we hope to meet maybe on the Miss. Gulf Coast one day. That is if I can get the wife's spyder steering again.

Spyder Garage

The three core ryders for the Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders (myself, wbbrn1952 and Capt. John) went for a little outing yesterday. I know us southern folks aren't supposed to ride when it's in the 30's but we are trying to break stereotypes. I was the warmest of the bunch as I used to live in VA. and rode year round there. I still have good cold weather gear. (I digress) My PE edition Spyder has had both updates. During our ryde my Spyder began to drift left and resist moving back to the right in the lane. It would over correct when it finally moved back right. Having read previous threads I attempted to minimize this, but it was difficult. The frequency of the problem increased as we rode. I carry a spare relay and tried to solve the problem by replacing the relay. Capt. John had power steering problems and has had over 4k trouble free miles since replacing his relay. I was not getting any messages on my display, no limp mode, all apparently normal except that the power steering was NOT right. When the relay replacement did not help I removed the fuse for the DPS. Having read previous threads, I felt it was better to ryde home without power steering than to have an accident because of it malfunctioning. The ryde home with the DPS fuse pulled was different, as I had never ridden without power steering before. The part that surprised me and is the main reason for the post is that, even with the DPS fuse pulled I still sometimes had resistance to moving right. I did not expect that and do not remember it being something mentioned in previous posts. I did not drift left any more. I did not have over correction any more. I did continue to sometimes have resistance to moving right. I am dropping my Spyder off at my dealer (Pensacola Motor Sports) tomorrow afternoon. I will post as the situation progresses.
    What version spyder do u have?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

PLEASE make sure you file a report with the NHTSA. I have included the link here. You will not see the Spyder listed under motorcycles, they put it under cars for some reason.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    PLEASE make sure you file a report with the NHTSA. I have included the link here. You will not see the Spyder listed under motorcycles, they put it under cars for some reason.

Please do

Spyder Garage

I agree, file the report please!

Keep us posted on your progress w/ the dealer & brp.

Spyder Garage

Which specific fuse did you remove?
    Longlegs rides again.

Spyder Garage

Default Mechanical

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I agree, I've been suspicious for some time that mechanical anomalies may be the cause or partial cause of the problem. Some even say they can hear "clicking" or "popping" noises and the fact that you can pull the fuse and still have issues points to mechanical (at least in part) to me. There have been others that have had steering problems with the fuse removed.

Michael
    Last edited by BLACK WIDOW; 01-05-2010 at 07:12 AM.

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

There have been others that have had steering problems with the fuse removed.

Is BRP aware there could be more to the steering issues then the DPS unit? Is BRP aware and looking for mechanical problems aside from soft-programming issues?

Is there someone with a good connection/relationship with BRP (not a dealer, but BRP themselves) that can take this 'suspect of mechanical failure/interference', to them?

Cheers and ride safe, everyone.

Spyder Garage

Default Safety

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    Is BRP aware there could be more to the steering issues then the DPS unit? Is BRP aware and looking for mechanical problems aside from soft-programming issues?

Is there someone with a good connection/relationship with BRP (not a dealer, but BRP themselves) that can take this 'suspect of mechanical failure/interference', to them?

Cheers and ride safe, everyone.
    Lamont

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the note. I've passed this thread to Lamont and explained that there could be more to the steering issues/troubles then the DPS unit.

thanks.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the note. I've passed this thread to Lamont and explained that there could be more to the steering issues/troubles then the DPS unit.

thanks.
    The DPS unit consists of both the electrical and mechanical steering components.

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longlegs View Post
    He's talking about the front one... the one which controls the DPS processor... forget which but the fuse box cover details it.

There's a larger one under the seat that controls the power to the DPS motor.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

What version spyder do u have?
    I have a Premier Edition delivered in Feb. of 2008 the problem happened at approx. 13K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post

I did that this morning. I had not read your post before doing it so here is what I did. It was frustrating as there is no menu option for BRP or Can Am under motorcycles. I never thought to look under cars. I lied (I told them it was an Aprilia Mille) to get the program to advance to the next page. Then I went back to the narrative section and explained what I had to do to submit the report. Enough of us have reported this that our manufacturer and machine should be a menu option under the motorcycle section. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Longlegs View Post
    I removed a five amp fuse, F4, labeled DPS control on the forward fuse box cover.
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Way2Fast

If only the front fuse was pulled there is a probability that the steering malfunction will still be there. When BOTH fuses are pulled I think the problem is solved. Has anyone experienced any steering malfunctions with both fuses pulled? I have both mine pulled and I am satisified with the handling and don't miss having power steering especially if it prevents the dangerous steering problems from occuring again. However, I only used my Spyder for local neighborhood test rides since pulling both fuses. I really hope it does prevent any more issues.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone experienced any steering malfunctions with both fuses pulled? I have both mine pulled and I am satisified with the handling and don't miss having power steering especially if it prevents the dangerous steering problems from occuring again.
    INTERESTING!!!

WAY2FAST: Can you please describe how the Spyder feels when BOTH fuses are PULLED and the DPS is actually DISABLED?

If normal DPS handling is a "5" on a scale of 1 to 10, what could you rate the handling of the Spyder with DPS OFF (BOTH Fuses pulled)? 1 being DIFFICULT to operate, and 10 being very easy to operate.

Would you consider doing a road trip or group ride on 100miles or more with the DPS off ( BOTH fuses pulled out? )???
    thank you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    If only the front fuse was pulled there is a probability that the steering malfunction will still be there. When BOTH fuses are pulled I think the problem is solved. Has anyone experienced any steering malfunctions with both fuses pulled? I have both mine pulled and I am satisified with the handling and don't miss having power steering especially if it prevents the dangerous steering problems from occuring again. However, I only used my Spyder for local neighborhood test rides since pulling both fuses. I really hope it does prevent any more issues.
    Inquiring minds (me) want to know. What other DPS fuse did you pull? I'd like to yank it before I make the run to my dealer this afternoon.
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

I'd like to yank it before I make the run to my dealer this afternoon.
    I will echo that knowing the process of disabling the DPS would be useful. I think it better to have to exert more force when steering, rather then steering not knowing when it will yank you right or left, suddenly.

I'd also be VERY interested in finding out how the Spyder handles with the DPS completely disabled. Perhaps (not sure, just asking a question and not suggesting) it is safety to have the DPS completely disabled, rather then enabled and faulty???

What do you guys think?

For goodness sake, ride safe, everyone.

Cheers.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Inquiring minds (me) want to know. What other DPS fuse did you pull? I'd like to yank it before I make the run to my dealer this afternoon.
    Fuse #5 under the seat:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Fuse #5 under the seat:
    Thank you I just got through finding the same page myself. So I did not have the DPS fully disabled, which might explain why I still had resistance to moving right.
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Way2Fast

INTERESTING!!!

WAY2FAST: Can you please describe how the Spyder feels when BOTH fuses are PULLED and the DPS is actually DISABLED?

If normal DPS handling is a "5" on a scale of 1 to 10, what could you rate the handling of the Spyder with DPS OFF (BOTH Fuses pulled)? 1 being DIFFICULT to operate, and 10 being very easy to operate.

Would you consider doing a road trip or group ride on 100miles or more with the DPS off ( BOTH fuses pulled out? )???
    thank you.
    The fuse in the front of the vehicle is a 5 amp. The one under the seat in the rear is a 40 amp. I pulled them both, but I'm not convinced that the DPS is responsible for 100% of the problems being reported. Part of the blame goes to the Stability Control causing a front wheel brake to drag slightly.

As far as how the vehicle handles without power steering...fine in my opinion. I don't think the DPS ever worked on my Spyder since day one as I don't notice any difference with it disconnected. Perhaps a woman rider with less upper body strenght might have difficulty turning the bars at rest or at very low speed, but it doesn't bother me. Geeze...it's only a 700 lb bike. How did people drive 2 ton cars and trucks before power steering was invented? Not having power steering wouldn't prevent me from taking a long distance trip...but fear of a re-occuring steering problem sure would !!