Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

You were going so fast that you skipped ahead a day according to your camera date and the time of your post! Time warp, I suspect ...
    Happy Owner * 2013 RT Limited, 2009 RS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimAlpha View Post
    You were going so fast that you skipped ahead a day according to your camera date and the time of your post! Time warp, I suspect ...
    You just can't trust these things can you?

Spyder Garage

A lot slower that the radio waves from the cops. Althought I was in a 45 mph limit, behind a dump truck carrying sand and blew by him at 75 mph, after taking enough sand in the face.

Thought for sure I would be picking sand out of my skin with tweezers, for hours.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I just had to bring this post back up seeing that speed was based on a GPS reading. I officially have the fastest Spyder RT on the planet if you go by my GPS reading today. Let's see you top that Ken

Lamont were you coasting down your driveway? I see the key is off!
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PCBeachBum View Post
    Lamont were you coasting down your driveway? I see the key is off!
    I know you know this was a joke but the Garmin and most all GPS units will register your "Max" speed as long as the GPS is on. Problem is sometimes it will lose signal and pick it up again and calculate the top speed by that. That's why if you have a number that is higher than the vehicle is physically capable to do you can bet your GPS was off. So when someone claims to have done 183mph on a Spyder because that's what the GPS said you can bet that the GPS had a hiccup just like mine did.

Spyder Garage

Default Speedometer Scale

Maybe the Spyder is capable of 180 so. I just wish the analog speedometer only went to 150. It seems crazy to be cruising at 80 and the needle is only one third or so up the scale. Glad I have a digital readout also!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Maybe the Spyder is capable of 180 so. I just wish the analog speedometer only went to 150. It seems crazy to be cruising at 80 and the needle is only one third or so up the scale. Glad I have a digital readout also!
    The analog speedometer is actually digitally driven. It can be changed to read in metric units, thus the higher scale. Beats having two sets of numbers displayed, IMO, but it is a little hard on the ego to never reach the upper half.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I know you know this was a joke but the Garmin and most all GPS units will register your "Max" speed as long as the GPS is on. Problem is sometimes it will lose signal and pick it up again and calculate the top speed by that. That's why if you have a number that is higher than the vehicle is physically capable to do you can bet your GPS was off. So when someone claims to have done 183mph on a Spyder because that's what the GPS said you can bet that the GPS had a hiccup just like mine did.
    I know you were using this as an example of what GPS units may say. I have a Garmin GPS on my boat and if I lose one of the satellites, it will give me a different reading as to my position. Normally I pickup 4 and sometimes 5 satellites. I rely more on landmarks and compass more than the GPS, unless I get caught in a fog, which I try to avoid than follow the markings I've set and compass to get me back to the channel and landing. I don't rely on it for speed, since conditions determine that. I can set it for a certain speed to calculate how long it will take me to get from point "A" to point "B" and back to "A" again depending on conditions, which can change very quickly, if one is not alert to cloud formations, wind and seas picking up. Direction also plays a part, whether I'm heading into the sea swells or have a following sea.

I don't have a GPS for any of my vehicles and if I was into a lot of traveling, I would purchase one. I'm aware that the Spyder will get up and go but, seeing 183 mph on a GPS, I wouldn't put my money on it. Like I don't rely on the GPS reading for speed on my boat, I wouldn't on the Spyder or any other vehicle. The top speed for the boat is 47 mph, with a Honda 150, in perfect conditions.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The analog speedometer is actually digitally driven. It can be changed to read in metric units, thus the higher scale. Beats having two sets of numbers displayed, IMO, but it is a little hard on the ego to never reach the upper half.
    My wife is all too familiar with this scenario, as when her "S" button came off the dash her Spyder was stuck in Kilo mode until we could get it replaced. I had to ryde mine at different speeds, and then give her an RPM range list that she could follow until the dealer got the new button in.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PCBeachBum View Post
    I don't have a GPS for any of my vehicles and if I was into a lot of traveling, I would purchase one. I'm aware that the Spyder will get up and go but, seeing 183 mph on a GPS, I wouldn't put my money on it. Like I don't rely on the GPS reading for speed on my boat, I wouldn't on the Spyder or any other vehicle. The top speed for the boat is 47 mph, with a Honda 150, in perfect conditions.
    I thought this was a Honda 150.

-Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Is how fast one can go all that important? I know I am kind of a dull person, but what is speed except a bragging right that someone may have. Ryde Safe, Ryde Far.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

85 on the Spyder, 155 on my GSXR and 160 on a ZX11. The last 2 were at about midnight on the Interstate, no traffic and a great ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I thought this was a Honda 150.

Thanks Scotty!

Hmmmm this reminds me of an incident involving the loaning of my division officers 160 Honda to me. The back gate at Hickum AFB, the guard and my buddy taking it back to Pearl Harbor's main gate. Too long of a story to put here and for another time perhaps.

It's now 64 degrees and was 55 when I first went out and time for a Joy Ryde

Yea I know! With most of you up to your necks in snow, you Bum!
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I just had to bring this post back up seeing that speed was based on a GPS reading. I officially have the fastest Spyder RT on the planet if you go by my GPS reading today. Let's see you top that Ken

YOU WIN...Evan hook him up!

Spyder Garage

Talking Let's Do The Time Warp Again...

Quote Originally Posted by JimAlpha View Post
    Time warp, I suspect ...
    +Just a jump to the left. (I knew I recognized him.)

Let's do the Time Warp Again...

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    2008 GS Roadster , Roadster Red

Spyder Garage

Default 121 mph

Tops 129 -while trying to keep up with my 3 sons riding sport bikes - Wa. state route - 26.
    When life throws you a curve - aim for the apex.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default fast

so far only 75mph, during the shhhhhhhhhhh ( break in ) will advise in the spring as to how this thing goes, found a really nice un-inhabited road east of the city just itching to test the spyder senses.... WAITING FOR SPRING.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post Head rush!!!

East bown, I-70, fall evening, 101mph trying to catch the legion's riders convoy!! what a rush that was A spyder tec. said that he had a demo up to a buck & 1/2 (150mph) could this be true ? or BS
    Cousin, very happySPYDER OWNER

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cousin View Post
    East bown, I-70, fall evening, 101mph trying to catch the legion's riders convoy!! what a rush that was A spyder tec. said that he had a demo up to a buck & 1/2 (150mph) could this be true ? or BS
    B/S Big time!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    B/S Big time!!
    ...unless the speedo was set to km/h.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-02-2010 at 08:11 AM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    B/S Big time!!
    Read my sig

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Was it a regular demo or a MFG. demo? The car companies used to( probably still do somewhat) tweak their magazine test cars to perform beyond what a production one could, because they were all doing it and no one wanted to be caught off guard. If it was a MFG. demo bike it could have been tweaked to go a buck fifty, but a run of the mill one would likely have to be headed down a very steep hill to hit that...IMHO.

Spyder Garage

did 80 on my can-am outlander,110 on the spyder could have went more.
    180 on the kawasaki 750. Thats all she had...

Spyder Garage

Default top speed (so far)

I think I hit 110 in 4th gear passing a couple of cars, but I ususally keep it at about 100 mph tops since I had a bad bike wreck 6 months ago I havnt gotten my nerve to faster again

Spyder Garage

Default How fast have you driven you Spyder and under what conditions?

I-5 dry, 117 mph
    I-5 wet, 92 mph

PE# 1189