Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BRP - Ranking

Spyder Garage

Default BRP - Ranking

Hi guys.

As a motorsports manufacturer, where exactly would you say BRP sits on a scale with Yamaha, Honda and Kawasaki?

Feel free to order the list from "OK" quality, to "BEST" quality. OK being 4 and 1 being the BEST.

Cheers

Spyder Garage

Too many brands of bikes out there.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Default Quality

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    Hi guys.

As a motorsports manufacturer, where exactly would you say BRP sits on a scale with Yamaha, Honda and Kawasaki?

Feel free to order the list from "OK" quality, to "BEST" quality. OK being 4 and 1 being the BEST.

Cheers
    Not sure they would even be in the same ball park with Honda and Yamaha on Quality. From a engineering design/market innovation standpoint; would rank at least a 2. IMHO

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

A lot of the answer to this would be based on how good your dealer's service is, there isn't any manufacturer that has (or can) build a perfect product. I've had many different makes of bikes, but wouldn't pick one above the rest. Too many variables.

john

Spyder Garage

M2Wild: Out of the brands above, how would you rate these 4 on a scale of 1 to 4?

Black Widow: Thanks for your input. So Yamaha and Honda would be higher then BRP on the list, then?

retread: Disregarding dealer service, in general, where would you rate BRP on the scale of 1-4 with the other brands above, 1 being best.

thanks.
    Cheers

Spyder Garage

Default Quality

M2Wild: Out of the brands above, how would you rate these 4 on a scale of 1 to 4?

Black Widow: Thanks for your input. So Yamaha and Honda would be higher then BRP on the list, then?

retread: Disregarding dealer service, in general, where would you rate BRP on the scale of 1-4 with the other brands above, 1 being best.

thanks.
    Cheers
    From a purely Quality standpoint I would definately have to say yes. Honda and Yamaha's quality overall is outstanding----Not to say that they don't screw up once in a while, but overall they have excellent Quality.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

I'd say I like Kawasaki more than others because its "balanced look" with exaust can on both sides. Spyder is in a class by its own .... I have put more miles on my Spyder this past year than the two Ninjas combined. Ended up selling one of the Ninja .... so that tells me that I prefer Spyder over Ninja this past year.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    I'd say I like Kawasaki more than others because its "balanced look" with exaust can on both sides. Spyder is in a class by its own .... I have put more miles on my Spyder this past year than the two Ninjas combined. Ended up selling one of the Ninja .... so that tells me that I prefer Spyder over Ninja this past year.

I know several friends who run Kawasaki KLR dual purpose bikes and they like them a lot.

Would you consider BRP quality to be better then Kawasaki?

Cheers.

Spyder Garage

Not sure what you're after - but the question is a bit too vague to really be answered fairly. Are you talking road bikes, dirt bikes, ATV's, etc.?

I think Honda is generally associated with quality products - across the board. The other brands----- going to vary depending on the product.

My Spyder is the first non-Honda bike I've bought if that tells you anything.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Firefly, thanks for your note. I'm just wondering about the overall quality of BRP, is all, not specific to their Seadoos, or Skidoos, but in general, over all as a corporation, does their quality stand out over, under or at the same level as products you think of when someone says the works Honda, Yamaha, etc...

As the Spyder is your first non-Honda bike, what are your thoughts on its' quality compared to the Honda bikes you've owned and rode in the past?

(Generally, I'm trying to get an idea of the quality of BRP products. I've never purchased or used them before, just Honda and Yamaha. I'm trying to put BRP in perspective next to these other brands.)

thanks

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=groundeffect;166912]Hi guys.

I probably shouldn't say this; But my opinion [only] If the Japanese come out with a reverse trike BRP will be # 5.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As an avid snowmobile rider and never having owned a motorcycle before the Spyder I have to admit, that if Yamaha or Honda or whoever built a bike similar to the Spyder, I would have bought from them instead.

In the snowmobile world I've always thought BRP was very innovative with their REV platform, but I've always felt their quality and attention to detail was lacking. I'm a bit biased as I've always ridden Polaris sleds, and I've towed 3 of my buddies Ski-doos (I've never been towed).

All that said, I've had no real issues with the Spyder. It's been reliable for me and it hasn't shown any signs that it'll be anything but reliable.
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

I agree with others Honda and Yamaha in a first tier, an order of magnitude (10X) better than Kawasaki and Suzuki which also are 10X (IMHO) better than HD, Ducati and BRP which are very cool and innovative but that sometimes deliver short of their design potential.

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wonder how much of the BRP Can Am SPyder is made by them- electronics by Bosch- perhaps the worlds best.
    Brakes by-?
    Tires by others, wheels?
    Engines- made by BRP owned Rotax suppleir to BMW, Aprillia and?
    Suspension by?
    SO BRP is an assembler- like Harley, like BMW, like Ducati, to some extent Honda and the other big Japanese makers with Showa forks, Tokicko brakes, Panasonic electrics etc.

As a long time mechanic - mostly Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes I could see one big difference among them as they all bought Bosch components- but Audi bought the cheapest connectors and circuit boards, fuse panels and relays, BMW bought a better quality, Mercedes and Porsche bought the best- and had the least problems.

I suspect BRP went the Audi route and has not bought the best line of equipment. Combine that with a smaller engineering staff and you get a lot of great ideas, but less that stellar execution- you get Buell, You get BRP, you get KTM etc. and before Piaggio bought them all it was the same with Moto Guzzi, Aprillia, too.

BRP makes neat stuff and we all like the concepts and tremendous technology put on the machines. If their market holds and they dedicate themselves to refineing what they have it will be a great product in 5 years. Right now there's a few bugs, and a few worries for buyers.

Spyder Garage

That pretty much says it; I've had no touble to speak of with my Spyder, but I'd have to rate it below Yamaha and Honda at least, haven't had a Kaw in too many years to be fair.

john

Spyder Garage

I know several friends who run Kawasaki KLR dual purpose bikes and they like them a lot.

Cheers.
    groundeffect, I had a Kawasaki Concours before I purchased my Spyder. I owned it for over nine years, and it was as reliable as a stone axe. I never had a moment's trouble with it and I rode it all over Canada and the U.S. Unfortunately, my experience with the Spyder was not nearly as problem-free, so I would have to say, at least in my experience, that the quality of my Kawasaki was far superior to BRP.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't own a Spyder, yet. I have an RT on order.

On the street I have ridden Yamahas and BMW's. Honda builds great stuff but I never rode a Honda street bike that felt good to me. That's just me, has absolutely nothing to do with Honda quality. In the dirt I've ridden Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, OSSA's, Hodakas, and Bultacos. And I figure manufacturer quality is the same whether theyre building dirt bikes or street bikes.

To be quite honest, they were all good. I never had unexpected problems with any of them. I've never expected any of my vehicles, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, or 3 wheels, to be perfect and to never have a problem. BMW's require more maintenance than anything I've ever ridden but that's the way they are built. If you don't like to do your maintenance, you should ride something else. As a reward, you get the best riding, best handling, most satisfying ride I've ever owned. And again, that's just my opinion. I know and ride with many folks who wouldn't agree.

But to the point of my response. I have been watching this forum for some 6 months or so, wanting to learn all I could about Spyders while I saved some money to buy one. I have to say that BRP has responded favorably to more problems than any manufacturer I've ever been associated with. They have recognized, acknowledged, and sought solutions to problems when they were aware of them. BMW has had well known problems in the past that they never acknowledged. BRP at least admits when they have problems. I think you may be hard put to find another manufacturer who will do that.

Obviously, I can't compare BRP quality head to head with others because I haven't yet owned a Spyder. But their response to known problems is enough to convince me that they are a manufacturer worth buying from.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

The most reliable three wheeled, high powered motorcycle with 2 front, 1 rear wheel configuration? BRP, IMO.

The most reliable 2 wheeled, high powered motorcycle? Honda, IMO.

The comparison, however, is apples to oranges, also IMO.
    '08 SE5 #123 - Red - F1 Slider - BRP Comfort Seat - Spyder City 3" Riser

Spyder Garage

My friend has a Honda cbrf3 street bike that he races.Its stock and has crashed 9 times.3 times over 100mph .and is still going.

Spyder Garage

When comparing apples and oranges (as in this case) it all depends on which you prefer more than the quality of either.

Unless you get right down to the individual item, then it's much easier to pick out the lemons.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    it all depends on which you prefer more than the quality of either.
    Most of us will put up with lesser quality in a product that we really like whether our liking is due to something real or perceived. What we like is more important than anything else. Most old riders can tell you horror stories about the quality of old English bikes but they put up with them because they really liked to ride them. To a certain extent, I'm the same way about BMW's.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Most of us will put up with lesser quality in a product that we really like whether our liking is due to something real or perceived. What we like is more important than anything else. Most old riders can tell you horror stories about the quality of old English bikes but they put up with them because they really liked to ride them. To a certain extent, I'm the same way about BMW's.

Cotton
    well said I think that is the best i have heard it said
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd place the Spyder near the bottom of the reliability list, and at the very top of the fun list. But then, the reason I ride is for fun, so........

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    I'd place the Spyder near the bottom of the reliability list, and at the very top of the fun list. But then, the reason I ride is for fun, so........

How much fun can one have with something that is unreliable though, if the Spyder is unreliable?

thanks for your comments on this thread, everyone.
    Cheers.

Spyder Garage

Cheers.
    Jap quality is hard to beat. But add in the fun factor, the overall ranking is siginificantly changed. If I want reliability in a jet ski, I'd bought Yamahas but instead I am on my 5th Sea Doo. Yes more problems, but nothing I can't handle so far (same with Spyder).