Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creep? SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Creep? SE5

How many have experienced creep? The idle appears normal at 1350 but yet the bike will move forward in first if you let off the brake (SE5). It's not a real problem. The bike sometimes does it in stop and go traffic but has done it other times too. It is not jerky or anything when it does this. Normally the bike idles and does not move if you let off the brake. This is not a constant occurrence. I have had all the updates. What causes this?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by skypup View Post
    How many have experienced creep? The idle appears normal at 1350 but yet the bike will move forward in first if you let off the brake (SE5). It's not a real problem. The bike sometimes does it in stop and go traffic but has done it other times too. It is not jerky or anything when it does this. Normally the bike idles and does not move if you let off the brake. This is not a constant occurrence. I have had all the updates. What causes this?
    You have a centrifugal clutch in addition to the same basic clutch that the SM has. There were a few problems in the past with the centrifugal... had to replace rollers and/or springs.

See your dealer with this information.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by skypup View Post
    I think alot of the SE's, do or have done, this. Mine did and it pretty much went away after about 1500 miles. I asked the dealer about it and they didn't have an answer-same thing with Carlo at BRP. Anyway, when it does start to creep, if you will just blip the throttle, it will slip into a "neutral" setting and not creep. PITA, I know, but it works and it should go away. There have been several posts in the past discussing this issue.
    Dick
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I think alot of the SE's, do or have done, this. Mine did and it pretty much went away after about 1500 miles. I asked the dealer about it and they didn't have an answer-same thing with Carlo at BRP. Anyway, when it does start to creep, if you will just blip the throttle, it will slip into a "neutral" setting and not creep. PITA, I know, but it works and it should go away. There have been several posts in the past discussing this issue.
    Dick
    I've got 1400 miles or so. Maybe I'll just wait and see. I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a bad clutch.

Registered Users moroccomole2004's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I have had the same thing occur, and like Skypup states it is mostly in stop and go traffic. The little spyder does not like traffic, it likes to fly!

I emailed my dealer and await a response.

Mole
    2008 Red SE5 - F1 ADJUSTABLE screen w/motto bracket, Powerlet Outlet, ESI - 4" Risers; Up & Out Mirror Extensions; Front LED Turn Signals w/fender tips, Hindle, KM Highway Peg Mounts w/Spider Pegs, BRP Comfort Seat w/Sports Rack and Backrest, TJ's Custom Rear Peg Extenders, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP Fog Lights, Custom HID Headlights, BRP Six Spoke Rims, GloRyder's, BRP Tank Bag w/Powerlet, KURYAKYN ISO GRIPS w/Throttle Boss, Scorpio i800 Alarm, K&N 33-2006 Filter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by moroccomole2004 View Post
    I have had the same thing occur, and like Skypup states it is mostly in stop and go traffic. The little spyder does not like traffic, it likes to fly!

I emailed my dealer and await a response.

Mole
    Hmmm, let me know what they say.

Spyder Garage

Well as always my service dept (FMS, Fredericksburg, VA), who rock, emailed back ricky tick and said to bring it in for them to look at. Will likely do that next week and keep you all informed.

Cheers!

Mole
    2008 Red SE5 - F1 ADJUSTABLE screen w/motto bracket, Powerlet Outlet, ESI - 4" Risers; Up & Out Mirror Extensions; Front LED Turn Signals w/fender tips, Hindle, KM Highway Peg Mounts w/Spider Pegs, BRP Comfort Seat w/Sports Rack and Backrest, TJ's Custom Rear Peg Extenders, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP Fog Lights, Custom HID Headlights, BRP Six Spoke Rims, GloRyder's, BRP Tank Bag w/Powerlet, KURYAKYN ISO GRIPS w/Throttle Boss, Scorpio i800 Alarm, K&N 33-2006 Filter

Spyder Garage

Both of our '09 SE5s do this. My SE5 normally idles around 1350 rpm, and will not creep when I let off the brake. However, every so often, it will not idle down, and stay between 1500 and 1600; that's when I get creep. My wife's SE5 does the same thing. I shift to neutral, and the rpms drop, then I can put it back into 1G. My wife says she has to shut the bike off to make the rpms drop, but I suspect she could do the same as me.

My dealer said that it is "normal," even though it only occurs intermittently. The only reason it came up as something to check is that the employee who brought the bikes around to the service area noticed that mine was revving high, and added it to the work order...
    2009 SE5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thanks aka1004! Also I got them fender tip LEDs and they rock!

Mole

Spyder Garage

Mine did the same thing. With subsequent updates, and mileage, it's lessened. It was real annoying but I don't even notice it now.

Tripod

BillGargan

Mine has never done it -- at least with any consistency. On those few and far-between occasions when it happens I just shift to neutral and back to 1st and the creep is gone.

Spyder Garage

Mine does it randomly and occasionally. I've always assumed it's due to using a more complex than standard centrifugal clutch in order to maintain engine braking when the throttle is released. The experience is really no different than that seen when driving a car with automatic transmission, so I find it neither surprising nor irritating.

A very short blip on the throttle with brake on usually releases the drag.
    Last edited by QuadManiac; 12-15-2009 at 02:20 AM.
    '08 SE5 #123 - Red - F1 Slider - BRP Comfort Seat - Spyder City 3" Riser

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by moroccomole2004 View Post
    Thanks aka1004! Also I got them fender tip LEDs and they rock!

Mole
    if evoluzione's anti sway bar is best mod for spyder, that led gotta be most bang for buck.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't write the creep off as being the same as an A/T in a car. That's caused by a fluid connection in the torque converter. No physical surfaces rubbing against each other. On the SE5 with a centrifugal clutch the drag is caused by the clutch plates rubbing against each other. That means you're getting extra wear on the clutch.

If you have creeping you should try to get it to stop. If I'm wrong here I hope some one can explain why. I may need to deal with this myself some time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3whlLefty View Post
    I wouldn't write the creep off as being the same as an A/T in a car. That's caused by a fluid connection in the torque converter. No physical surfaces rubbing against each other. On the SE5 with a centrifugal clutch the drag is caused by the clutch plates rubbing against each other. That means you're getting extra wear on the clutch.

If you have creeping you should try to get it to stop. If I'm wrong here I hope some one can explain why. I may need to deal with this myself some time.
    I'd like to know for sure myself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3whlLefty View Post

What you say is basically true, but not entirely. The Spyder has a wet clutch, so there is some amount of fluid drag, too. I believe any wear by this occasional slight creeping would be minimal, but it would certainly occur. I doubt it would shorten the clutch life significantly. I would be more worried about the clutch rollers and springs that cause the problem in the fiirst place.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I've experienced creeps, more than I'd like to mention.

But not creep....maybe having an SM5 resolves that issue!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Our 2008 SE5 had the creepers. What did I do? I started using Royal Purple 10W40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil for first oil change after the 600 mile service (now have over 30,000 miles). Has NEVER had any creeping issue from day one of use . Will it work for anyone else??? I have no idea, but it worked for us.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Our 2008 SE5 had the creepers. What did I do? I started using Royal Purple 10W40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil for first oil change after the 600 mile service (now have over 30,000 miles). Has NEVER had any creeping issue from day one of use . Will it work for anyone else??? I have no idea, but it worked for us.
    Same thing here.........a change of oil/filter to Royal Purple 10W40 and no more creep (just the rider - he's a little creepy )

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Don in E Texas;166134]Same thing here.........a change of oil/filter to Royal Purple 10W40 and no more creep (just the rider - he's a little creepy )

don[/QUOTE
    Come to think of it, I don't think I've had the creeps since I changed over to Royal Purple either.
    Dick
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

if you ride a 08 se5 you may have the early spring, we had the creep and a problem with the gear position sensor early on and when it was replaced, they told us a spring was replaced to eliminate the creep. also recommend you change the oil to the latest brp xps formula. i suspect that the se5 clutches modulation by the electronics relies on a specific oil slippage factor . hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue with my 2008 SE5 in the early days with it. It was so bad that the lurching and creeping forward would actually stall the bike because I had to be on the break hard. The dealer replaced the clutch rollers and low and behold the problem went away !
    HAPPY 2008 SE5 OWNER 1" BRP Riser, NMN 3" risers, NMN Triple Play & Tail Light, Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP 23" Touring Windshield on CHAD Bracket, Ride-On in tires, J&M Integrator, Gerbings Dual Zone Temp Controller & Heated Gloves, 2 Dash Mounted 12V outlets, Kewlmetal Highway Brackets & Kuryakyn pegs, Trunk Spring Mod, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock, Kuyrakyn L.E.D. Battery Guage

Spyder Garage

Smile Carlo Called From BRP

So as an update to my previous post. My dealership, (FMS - who are truly the best!), emailed back a few hours later and asked me to bring the SE5 in for a look see. I have yet to get back with them as work had kept me busy and now taking the bike in has been delayed with getting 18 inches of snow.

So today I am just finishing with lunch and I get a voice mail on my cell phone from a number in Quebec, Canada. So I am like who is this and then listen to the message and it is Carlo from BRP! He cited he had seen this post and then contacted Mike at FMS to get an update on the situation. I plan on contacting both FMS and Carlo tomorrow to workout a drop off time for the Little Red SE5 sometime after Xmas.

For anyone to think that big brother BRP is not reading forums, think again! I have had only a great experience with my Spyder, the service department at FMS and BRP.

Thanks Carlo!

V/R,

Mole aka Mike B.
    Last edited by moroccomole2004; 12-21-2009 at 04:01 PM.

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Creeping...

Our SE5 creeps. I test rode several before buying one and all that I tested had the creep installed. As mentioned in many post above the centrifugal clutch seems to be the reason. Although the Spyder clutch and transmission assemblies are different from car and truck transmissions they act basically the same when you release the brake... they want to go.
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800